London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
KEF
24/11/2013 at 12:15

Suppose I'd get more done if I kept off here. Right going now...well nearly..just one more thing to look at..... 

24/11/2013 at 12:18

It's raining.

My neighbour brings barrowloads of horse droppings. When he's filled one site I have to get out there and find him somewhere else to tip. It will either have to be done today or tomorrow.

24/11/2013 at 12:20

Only having two days a week to get out there is pretty good motivation - although i agree with KEF - sometimes dragging myself away from here and my gardening mags can be a tad challenging

24/11/2013 at 13:18
Just had a go at weaving buddleia branches between conifer trunks to make a fence ( as seen on Tudor mon farm). Loved doing it but decided I wanted the space behind the conifers ( need to find something to grow there!). Instead i built up a stack of bran he's to try and keep cats out (hmmm, yeah right, like that's gonna happen)
24/11/2013 at 13:20
forgot to answer woody - my motivation.. , I went out so that id have something to tell you forumers!
24/11/2013 at 13:21

Well, that's a good morning's work done   OH has raked all the leaves and put into bags for leafmould (I supervised and held the bags open ).

We've wrapped the most precious pots with a double layer of big bubblewrap, and moved lots of pots so that they're huddling together in the south-ish facing corner of the terrace keeping each other warm.  

I've put those that need better drainage up on feet or bricks - didn't have enough for everything but they coped with last winter so I've told them they've just got to cope with whatever the winter throws at them.  

I've stapled a couple of layers of fleece to the fence behind the fig and tied it up - when we get hard weather forecast I'll untie it and drape it over the fig and weight it down with bricks etc. 

I've planted two dozen Negrita and Shirley tulips into the sunny end of the Shady Bank - they were a retirement present from a colleague 

I've taken the runner beans down and the haulms are heaped over the Hedgehog House to provide a bit extra protection from the cold.  

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34426.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

The wet and slimy hosta leaves have been removed, and some of the spent foxglove plants have joined them on the compost heap.

The hellebores have had their old leaves removed and they're happy on the garden bench on the terrace where I can keep an eye on them.  And it's here that I have to acknowledge an embarrassing slip - I said the other day that I had a "Helleborus×hybridus' Mandela' ........... but I checked the label today  it's http://www.perennials.com/plants/helleborus-hybridus-tutu.html.  

H. niger Christmas Carol has one bloom nearly open, and more buds coming, and Snow Love has some lovely fat buds too.  

Oh, and I can report that although H. lividus Silver Edge was sold to me as hardy - it isn't - it didn't survive last winter 

OH has swept the terrace and I've nearly slipped top over bottom three times - I think I'll have to invest in a Karcher - shall be reading the thread shortly. 

I've found a little pot of snowdrops that I'd forgotten about, hidden away in a shady corner - they're beginning to peek up through the compost - I've put the pot in a sheltered corner opposite the dining room door where I'll see them when they appear properly. 

The rhubarb has been mulched with FYM and has its forcing pot over it, and the French tarragon behind it has a broken terracotta pot protecting it's base from the worst of the winter (although it survived last winter without any additional protection as I forgot it ).

Oh, and I've picked a small dish of raspberries to go with the leftover B&B pudding from yesterday - fresh raspberries in November!!!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34428.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34429.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max
24/11/2013 at 13:38
Wow dove, you have been busy. Cuppa on its way to you and OH.
24/11/2013 at 13:46

Cheers Mrs G   much appreciated 

Feet are up for a few minutes, then I'll get into the kitchen to prep the roast lamb etc - after that feet will be up for the rest of the afternoon to listen to the Britten concert from Lowestoft 

KEF
24/11/2013 at 15:07

Who lives in a house like that?  Hefty, the happy hedgehog

Only done couple of things on the garden left to do list. Very damp & cold here. Hopefully we are to get a few dry days this week.

Been a domestic Godess..well not really, have cleaned two kitchen cupboards out. Lamb Kleftiko now in oven, couldn't believe it was still part frozen at 9am this morning, it had been out of freezer in fridge since 4pm yesterday and in conservatory overnight ( we do have heating, but not at night). Not cold here then !

Talking of which some basting to be done, back soon.

KEF
24/11/2013 at 15:08

Why have we all gone into Bold print?? I blame that Lily

24/11/2013 at 15:11

Mrs. G … a thread in Spring reached a consensus that the smell of Jeyes fluid was good for deterring cats.

24/11/2013 at 15:18
WW ... And after some time in the garden I smell of cats ughhh :/ quick pass the jeyes !
24/11/2013 at 15:23

I don't think I'm in bold - now I'm feeling left out of things

Re the Hefty House,  if you look carefully you'll see a little rambling rose in front of it - it's http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/francis-elester/ and the idea is that eventually it will form a mound and reach into the lower branches of the ash tree - right at the front is where the three big Sum & Substance hostas are, with  ferns, pulmonarias and cyclamen hederifolium at the edge of the bank.  

Do you think that some Iris foetidissima would work  to the right of the Hefty House?

24/11/2013 at 15:24

Oh!  I am in bold - how bold am I? 

24/11/2013 at 15:27

Our local vet is of the opinion that next door's cat was poisoned by Jeyes fluid (£1,800 bill) so if you use it please don't leave any where a cat might drink it.  I'm not desperately keen on the cat visiting our garden, but our neighbours can't afford to repair their car - it's ok for him, he works off-shore, but she has to cycle 3 miles to work and back in the winter now 

KEF
24/11/2013 at 15:29

I owe someone an apology, the last time I cooked Kleftiko I said about not being able to have the fatty / oily sauce, and someone posted about a jug from Lakeland. I meant to say thank you, now I've remembered I will get one. Thank you

KEF
24/11/2013 at 15:32

Testing, I've selected to type in bold.

24/11/2013 at 15:34

I tried that KEF (selecting in bold - not the jug - I've already got one) - looks like we're all bold whether we like it or not! 

KEF

Well that didn't sort it.  So it's bold or nowt  It must be Lily.

The general idea is to soak old teabags in jeyes and put them where the cats are doing damage or being a nuisance. Sorry I forgot this important detail.