Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
KEF
20/10/2013 at 14:04

Brumbull love the deterent.

20/10/2013 at 14:12

Time for GQT and making icing 

20/10/2013 at 14:13

Did anyone hear the last Gardeners Question Time on Radio 4 where Bunny Guiness mentioned a canna that is hardy enough to stay out all winter down to minus 5.  I didn't catch the name of the variety and as I don't have a GH would love to know which one it was.

20/10/2013 at 14:18

Blow me down - just thought I would look in the Radio Times and discovered it is on now - switched the radio on and just missed the bit about cannas.

20/10/2013 at 14:30

Afternoon all.

It has been glorious here. I got out and planted up my bulbs all 200 of them. I have kept the tulips to plant in a few weeks.

I got the winter troughs that go on windowsills round the front. Have tidied them up and put hyacinth in as well as primroses this year. The gerbera are still flowering so they will remain in place for a while.

I'm not sure if I should have done it yet but I cut back the clematis so the winter jasmine has pride of place for the winter. I also cut the fuchsia back a bit so they don't get battered in the wind. I will give them another good prune next spring.

The sun has now gone in. I've got bits to do for tomorrow. All the talk of cake is making me hungry.

20/10/2013 at 14:32

It's ok PG, I iced the cake and OH took a piece, so it's a free for all now - it's very crumbly so you'll need a fork - help yourself 

20/10/2013 at 14:39

Here you go Forester2 me just listening to GQT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03cv47k

it is a canna iridiflora

Afternoon all was out in garden just came in for a break lunch and it suddenly sloshed it down with rain - made it in before that, did get rained on a bit but not that much

20/10/2013 at 14:43
Its coming down in stair rods here! I have gqt downloaded on a podcast forester - will make a note of the canna name when i listen this evening (weekly ritual whilst folding up the weeks washing )
20/10/2013 at 14:45
No need - gardengirl has beaten me to it
20/10/2013 at 14:46

Thanks chicky. 

20/10/2013 at 14:49

Thank you Garden Girl - what a helpful site this is and lots of friendly folks.

20/10/2013 at 14:52

All this talk of rain. I had to get the hose out and give the front a good soak- I expect it will now rain later- in fact the sky has suddenly become very grey.

20/10/2013 at 14:54

Where on earth do you live Potty Gardener?  Australia?

20/10/2013 at 15:05

It came over cloudy again so I've brought all the washing in - sun will now shine for the rest of the afternoon all over the UK 

20/10/2013 at 15:08

but not for long Dove. I just looked at the radar images on the met office site

20/10/2013 at 15:17

That canna was Canna be true Forester..    

You know me so well Dove.  

Well, wet morn amd lovely afternoon.  Finished my new border.....unless I tinker with it,which I tend to do; own worst enemy.  Wish I could leave well alone.......and it's mulched and ready for winter.  Leaves cut off completely along with flowers newly formed off my hellebores there and they have been mulched with dried manure.  I know some say leave some leaves buf I think this way ensures no or very little black spot problems.  One exception though is a new yellow hellebore bought as a 5  litre plant in the early spring......the flowers are delightful so will leave them.  Also cut the lawns....it's so warm the grass has dried so quickly.

20/10/2013 at 15:39

Verdun - thanks but I can't find a canna 'be true' on google.

Canna iridiflora looks spectacular but I think much too large for my small garden.

20/10/2013 at 15:41

If we cut the lawns here today Verdun we'd be making silage 

We've given up on outdoor activity for the rest of the day - we're on the sofa with our feet up watching an old Dr Who with Tom Baker 

Anyone for Spicy Gingercake with crystallised ginger icing?

20/10/2013 at 15:44

That would go nicely with my cup of coffee, but I've got more shredding to do before it rains again.

20/10/2013 at 15:54

Forester .......sorreeeeeee 

There is a canna website with some smaller varieties.  If you start one or two in small pots in early spring and then regularly repot as they fill those pots you will be surprised how quickly they will grow.  Add some dried manure to the compost.....when they are growing well in mid Spring ......and some fertiliser and move them Imto the hottest part of your garden in large pots. There is nothing quite like cannas for exotic impact in late summer onwards