London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 15°C
20/10/2013 at 15:55

canna grow 'em Verdun

20/10/2013 at 15:56

Not quick enough. Its tipping it down now. Got soaked just putting shredder back in garage. 

20/10/2013 at 15:56

Who you watching Dove? 

Did you say spicy ginger cake? 

20/10/2013 at 16:06

I did Verdun - with crystalised ginger in it and with ginger icing 

Have you checked your PMs lately?  Mine are all over the place. 

20/10/2013 at 16:07

Had good lunch with son, he BBQ'd the steak, his wife did 1st course, veg and apple tart. Sunny 23° in shade.

Do you ever still paint anything Dove, what sort of painting? Did you see that thread that Happy Marion did about painting what you've grown? http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/painting-what-youve-grown/82877.html  found it but haven't looked again yet. That "search this site" box at the top of the page with a magnifying glass is useful for finding things. I just type "painting" and it was one of the things that came up.

20/10/2013 at 16:10

Artjak posted on that thread, haven't heard from her for ages.

20/10/2013 at 16:11

Haven't painted for a while - haven't had the headspace let alone the physical time - and my paintings are sometimes quite big and take a lot of time - involving stepladders to reach the top!  Based on abstracted botanical forms - surprise surprise!!!

What I might do when I retire remains to be seen ..................... 

20/10/2013 at 16:22
10 more days ..... Then you better get the stepladder out !
20/10/2013 at 16:26

BL - steak?  23C  Green with envy here!

KEF
20/10/2013 at 16:29

I miss Artjak, she said some lovely things about our grotty old apple tree, which has kept me out of mischief for a good time tday dealing with windfalls. Just need half a pig to put in freezer with all the apple sauce.

20/10/2013 at 16:57

Just taken my dog to the beach.  It is soooooooo warm.  Ok, not 23 but it must be 17 or 18.  Sun is out and the sea and sky are blue.  Wind has dropped too.  Temp is not supposed to drop too far either. 

(and the visitors have gone home....it's all ours again!)

20/10/2013 at 17:11

Still fairly mild here Verdon - Sweet Rocket is producing a third flush!  But overcast now and damp.  

20/10/2013 at 17:14

Did I say damp - change that to wet ..... very wet ..... stair rods! 

20/10/2013 at 18:03

Forester2, here is a site that sells a huge selection of cannas, including the one mentioned earlier

http://www.hartcanna.co.uk/catalogue.html

20/10/2013 at 18:09

Thanks Swiss Sue

I actually meant to mention that very site earlier.  Forgot.  Silly me..  I'm tempted to buy a couple myself 

20/10/2013 at 18:14

15` and wet in Sheffield. Not been in garden today. Gym this morning and then watching my beloved Spurs this afternoon.

Weather here for next week looks dire, but lots to do so will be getting wet.

I grow a fair few cannas here. I lift them about now and put them in pots which i store in the porch. I then start them early in February in the pots in the living room [ drives OH nuts ] I usually plant them out early June.

Chilerns seeds sell canna and they are fairly easy from seed but do need plenty of heat.

20/10/2013 at 18:20
GH empty (ish) - mission accomplished. At GC earlier two schizt**%#* (kaffir lilies in old money) jumped into my basket - very nice dark pink flowers to keep the border going that bit longer. Pure luck, but it tones in well with my sedum autumn joy- i shall tell everyone it was a deliberate "association"

Looked at pyracanthas in my search for red berries, and found a variety i like, but they only had it in a huge fan trained specimen ( with huge price tag to match) ..... Will keep looking.
20/10/2013 at 18:23

I've been looking at pyracanthas Chicky - which one have you got your eye on?

20/10/2013 at 18:27
One called red saphyr - it was truly red (not orange) and very glossy leaves. Will do some googling later (stuck to the sofa at the moment!!)
KEF
20/10/2013 at 18:35

I've just had a vile meal. H had a lovely one. Slow roast lamb, virgin olive oil, lemon. oregano. garlic & white wine. Due to sulking gallbladder I can't pore the "juice" on my meal, so small amount of juice added to usually a few Bisto reduced salt granules. Bought Morrisons' own reduced salt..absolutely vile..put my meat & veg in metal colander and poured boiling water over it, still vile.  No Maltesers to fill up on. Looks like being a slice of toast later.

Woody any Shepherd's pie left..?  I'm hungry.