London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
18/04/2014 at 19:08

I'd forgotten about the rum, I hold you fully responsible now Lily  Possibly Lily, I'm sure she'll be back before long, hope so anyway.

18/04/2014 at 19:36

Love rum. Used to carry a bottle in the car as a convertible driving student.    ....wot a poser!  Never tbought anything of it then ......l

18/04/2014 at 19:49

Didn't want to start a new thread and I know I can rely on the collective knowledge of you Forkers (that sounds rood when you read it back ) .....I digress, I was wondering about the fors & agins of leaving one's pooter switched on all the time, instead of booting-up several times a day.

I use a desktop mainly and it & the monitor automatically go into sleep mode according to predetermined settings (set at 10 minutes at the mo)......just wondered whether or not to leave it on all the time, unless I'm away from home. 

18/04/2014 at 20:04

I'm for turning it off David.  Is it a slow one?  However, many do keep it on all the time.  Can you simply put it into hibernate mode.....quicker then to activate

18/04/2014 at 20:11
Verdun wrote (see)

I'm for turning it off David.  Is it a slow one?  However, many do keep it on all the time.  Can you simply put it into hibernate mode.....quicker then to activate

Thanks, Verdun.....on the contrary it's really fast, which given the type of processor & 32Mb fibre optic broadband connection, is what I expect.

I was just toying with the idea of leaving it on more or less permanently. 

18/04/2014 at 20:12

We used to leave ours on (although we are increasingly a tablet family now .... funny how things move on without you really noticing) certainly ones at work are left on all the time and it doesn't seem to harm them.  Hibernate is a good idea to save power though.

18/04/2014 at 20:17

Mine only has 'sleep' but I reckon that will be one and the same.

But then, that's what it does automatically.

18/04/2014 at 20:33

My OH is obsessive about switching everything off to save money. Computers at work are on all the time so backups and updates are done while we are not there.

I find it weird when someone remotely does something to a computer that I'm working on. I start looking for the hidden cameras. I'm sure that they are more likely to be hacked if they are on all the time, but that makes me sound paranoid.

18/04/2014 at 21:22

Evening , hope you've all had a good Good Friday,

Arches have arrived  Just need to motivate OH now... (been out most of day using up his energy on his bike).

Friend visited with baby pug pup,I'm sure this is the only dog I actually like, it's even allowed in my house and horror of horrors I like cuddling it!!! Went for a walk in the woods.

Had a haphazard approach to planting (good plan there chicky). Nearly everything in the ground now, well last years cuttings and recent purchases: not seedlings (have given up on s.peas in GH and they are now in the house, shhh, don't tell OH).

OL - our ski hol for next year is booked, Easter time. Wish we could get away with going at xmas! 

7 1/2 foot, very funny!

18/04/2014 at 21:31

Glad the arches have arrived MrsGarden  You haven't met my Daisy have you.....I'm sure you could be persuaded to like one more dog 

I knew someone had mentioned ski-ing, where do you go MrsGarden and any recommendations, PM if you like 

Well OH isn't home from the match yet, gone for a 'few' beers after, it better had only be a few with LO 's not so little friends staying 

David, I turn everything off.....I'm obsessive too about saving money in electric, we give the energy companies enough money without giving it to them unnecessarily 

18/04/2014 at 21:33

32 meg broadband David?  Mine is barely 3 so very, very jealous. Fibre optic 1/2 mile down the road and 1/2 mile up the road.  

18/04/2014 at 21:39

Glad the arches has arrived  

Not such a productive day for me. Fell asleep this afternoon about 2 and woke up about 5.30.  Don't feel refreshed for it either.

Watching some old Alan Titchmarsh on ITV3, Love Your Garden. Wasn't a gardener when first shown so hurrah for repeats  It's been series linked so now I will never miss it!

18/04/2014 at 21:40

Ooh, I'll have it have a look for that Panda, thanks.  I hope you're ok, just tired?

18/04/2014 at 21:44

Not sure if new pills or tired OL.  Hopefully just tired! Will your OH be celebrating or commiserating? Or should I not ask? 

18/04/2014 at 21:47

Panda......I think that will answer your questions.....useless bunch if muppets and even more useless owner 

Lily, I have sent Stacey a PM just to see if she is ok.

18/04/2014 at 21:50

Hi Panda, bet the sleep did you good, pills helped you relax and you caught up on some much needed sleep. Take care Panda sending hugs 

Tracey, how are you coping with all of LO's friends 

18/04/2014 at 21:55

They are all as gold Lily, I knew they would be or I wouldn't let them stay.  Thankfully LO has some good, well mannered friends, more than can be said for BO, but that's another story  As for OH, well goodness knows whether he'll behave when he gets in 

Panda, I forgot to say on my last post I hope it's just tiredness and hopefully tomorrow after a good night's sleep tonight you'll feel refreshed. It's your body's way of telling you to slow down.

18/04/2014 at 21:57

Thanks Lily x You are probably right  At least the weather wasn't that warm so I don't feel I missed out too much.

Oh OL. Not so good. Guess OH is drinking to forget . . . . 

18/04/2014 at 22:02

My last post should have said 'good as gold'.......I don't think my brain is working tonight!!

Panda, he had already planned a few drinks after the match but let's just say the atmosphere wasn't great today and I'm actually embarrassed to be a Pool fan tonight after the performance that was broadcast on national TV, by players, management and fans alike 

18/04/2014 at 22:07

Oh dear OL. I'm not a follower of the game (if I had to pick a team it would be Newcastle United - don't ask why!) so wasn't aware of bad behaviour. 

I agree re tiredness. Seem to spend my life getting by on little sleep. I quite like the idea of my body making me catch up