London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
Edd
25/04/2014 at 13:24

Hi again Clarington. 

Not sure i like the sound of "delightfully nasty soup" The top of the compost heap is perfect but if it is too wet then add plenty of torn up brown cardboard or egg boxes.

I am sure they will love it. Watch out for wanderers until they settle in (couple of days) Not sure if they will enjoy the travel to their new home so they might be a little restless.

Regards

Edd.

25/04/2014 at 13:32

Perhaps soup wasn't the best of words! The vegetable scraps have started to break down and go soft rather than their perky little selves. I'll be sure to add some cardboard in if it looks too damp.

I'm not sure I'd be too impressed at being thrown in a box and bounced around in the back of a van!

25/04/2014 at 13:35

Just checked the tracking device. They HAVEN'T left it by the gate as requested (I left a secure box to put them in). Looks like I'll have to hope they left a "collect from here" note as I'm worried if they don't redeliver tomorrow morning (unlikely being a Saturday) the poor devils will NOT be happy waiting until Monday!!

25/04/2014 at 14:24

This will show that I'm not really 27.

Opodildoc  pronounced oppo dill dock is an old name for Soap liniment BP. Mixed 50/50 with glycerin and then used to soak feet.

Hope that helps Kef. Please don't ask me for Borax and Honey for sore throats, although I used to make a brill five haporths.(Can't get the ingredients these days... no red poppy syrup.)

25/04/2014 at 14:26

What a coincidence Punkdoc .... This year I will be 50, will celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary, and was taken to Venice for my 40th/10th wedding anniversary.  You're not Mr Chicky in some sort of elaborate disguise are you?

To find out if you are, I need to know whether your first thought for a special birthday/anniversary celebration was to take your wife to Madrid to see a Real/Barcelona game ??  Luckily he ran the idea past my Mum first, who put him right

Very generously, I agreed to go with him to Madrid for el Classico the following year - turned out to be a true classic - with Beckham, Zidane, Figo, Messi and Ronaldino all on the pitch at the same time ......some, before they were famous

25/04/2014 at 14:33

If you want the formula....

opodeldoc was a synonym for soap liniment BP and  it was popular among the older generation for rubbing on chapped hands when mixed with an equal part of glycerin (or glycerol, as we must now call it).

opodeldoc’s pharmacopoeial formula calls for powdered soap 60g, camphor 45g, oil of rosemary 10ml, alcohol 700ml and enough water to make it up to one litre.

You've next to no chance or buying camphor or camphorated spirit but some private chemists will still stock soap liniment and bottles of glycerin/glycerol

25/04/2014 at 14:46

I remember vick Kef, and mum used to make some concoction for flu I think it was,....with my head over a bowl of steaming hot stuff, with a towel over my head.

Just got back from SM and a little acer jumped into my trolley, it was only £3!  It is quite small. Will take a pic later.

25/04/2014 at 15:16

These plants in SM's are almost as cheeky as the ones in the GC Lily  

25/04/2014 at 15:44

Did you get any panda, or were you a good girl 

Here's a pic of my new little acer Not bad for £3  will let it harden off and then pot it outside

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43454.jpg?width=350

25/04/2014 at 15:56

I got six little strawberry plants Lily  They jumped in too 

Acer looks lovely.

25/04/2014 at 16:00

Oooh strawberry plants, must get some of those. Lost mine this winter with all the rain.

25/04/2014 at 16:09

Spooky, Chicky. No I did not take OH to Madrid, but did go with the lads a few years ago.

She did once agree to come to White Heart Lane, to see what all the fuss was about, but that did cost me dinner at Marcus Wareings.

For her 40th. we went to St. Lucia, but could not quite afford something like that this time.

Like the Acer SGL., a bargain I think. I have a few that I have grown from seed, but they are 5 years old and only about 18 inches tall.

Spent most of yesterday taking plants out of greenhouse, today it is so cold I am almost tempted to put them back in.

25/04/2014 at 16:36

Here is a pic of my alpine planter - hope you like it

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43456.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

And one of my hanging baskets I did at the Hillier workshop

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43457.jpg?width=547&height=350&mode=max

Please can you all send some sunshine for tomorrow over the New Forest area in Woodgreen for the village hall plant sale 

25/04/2014 at 16:57

Hello folks - I'm back from visiting the Aged Ps - Ma fine, loved her flowers, will open presents tomorrow on the big day itself.  Pa has another chest infection poor chap - GP will prescribe some antibiotics.  

Now I'd better have a read back and check up on everyone .............

25/04/2014 at 17:38

Has anyone else noticed how foward things are this year? Some of my 2013 photos compared to this year are crazy, no less my climbing rose Paul Scarlet that has two blooms on it in April!!!

25/04/2014 at 17:53

Wintersong - i am sorry to say i keep a diary of when all my favourite plants come out (i know, i should get out more) - this year is a good month to 6 weeks ahead of 2013 ..... But 2013 was very late.  No roses blooming here - but buds visible

Punkdoc - i got 3 visits round Madrid Art galleries, without one cross word or raised eyebrow, in exchange for our night at the Bernebeu.  Good deal methinks

25/04/2014 at 18:01

Oh Dove, is it your ma's birthday tomorrow, very best wishes x

AWB
25/04/2014 at 18:02

Thanks for the good wishes Chicky.

back home now and a glass of wine .

An old fashioned occasion, plenty of jellied eels and cockles.

25/04/2014 at 18:07

Hope you pick a good tree AWB.  Its a lovely way to remember friends

25/04/2014 at 18:33

Lovely planter  gardengirl.

Hugs AWB.