Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hello!

A quick hi and hello to you all!

It's been, I think, some six months since my last visit to this site. Imagine that! How did that happen?

Oh how I'm looking forward to the Spring! My garden at this point in time is looking a very sorry state indeed, barren for the most part, still swamped in mud due to all the rain, despite it being very cold, snowy and frosty, still covered in Autumn's leaf fall and in need of some serious TLC. Calling Spring!!

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

I think you must be a Spring type character, dormant during the winter months.

• I'm not Winter's biggest fan, that's true! But unfortunately, every time we have a very wet Autumn, as we did this year, it turns our entire garden into a swamp and it stays that way for months on end, trying to put down your feet, or walk in certain areas of the garden, quite literally means taking your life in your hands, it's deadly. You either slip or sink into the equivalent of a bog, it's awful. We have managed in parts, the odd hit here and there, to clear some sections, but its been very hit and miss. And I hate it. But, we live where we live and this is England and it rains a lot sometimes so we just have to go with the flow and do what we can when we can. 

• Hi Verdun!!

Thanks for the welcome back!

Good to see you that you've lost none of your modesty in my time away image!

• Indeed Verdun. And I guess it wouldn't be any fun at all if we weren't presented with a certain amount of frustration and challenges! 

• I know how you feel! I hate mud and yet have to live with it for half the year. The snow meant a blessed respite (clean boots!) but now it's gone at last, things are worse than ever. So frustrating when I look at my 'to do' list and nearly everything is impossible until I can walk on the soil. The things that aren't quite impossible are much harder and less pleasant. I don't mind dirty, I can do wet and dirty, but dirty, wet and cold is out of the question, as my hands just cease to function! The only plus I have found is that putting in fence posts is easier, providing you can find somewhere to stand.

Still, not long now till March, usually a drier month, and the last few years April here has tended to be a bit warmer than it used to be, so fingers crossed and we can cross off some of our jobs!

• Buttercupdays, here is to Spring, and safer passage through our gardens image