Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help - pricing toms

I have two different sizes of tomato plant to sell at my local primary school and can't make up my mind how much I should charge. Advice would be welcome. I (hopefully) will post pics of them below. The large toms stand about 40cm above the pot and have their first flowers formed. The little toms stand 20cm above the pot. They are all cherry toms and I have about 30 of each to sell. I will also be selling house plants mainly succulents, africian violets and dragon trees. What do you think?

large tom

little tom

little and large

Thanks for looking and your opinions!

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I sold some excess tomato plants at 3 for a £1 just by putting a sign up in the garden-people seemed happy to pay that-it covered the cost of the seed,pots,compost etc with a bit left over for the money box-does that sound a fair price?

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Hi Sotongeoff, I'll be selling them individually - I was thinking 40p / 50p each (in aid of school) too much?

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

You could always sell them 40/50p each or 3 for a £1, everyone likes  a barginimage

Daintiness-people are likely to want more than one-I think you may be pleasantly surprised-do as Zoomer says- think- what would Lord Sugar do?image

Ok you're hired! Lady Daintiness is off to make "loadsamoney"  I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks!

• Excitable BoyExcitable Boy Posts: 165

I'd go 50p for the big ones and 3 for £1 for the little ones if you have sufficient. If you haven't got enough sell them all at 50p. You are there to raise funds - nobody will object to a fair price!

Sold them all for 50p each! Lots of staff bought before the sale actually started. Haven't totalled up my profit yet but will let you know how I got on. The children really enjoyed it and called out their wares like market stall holders.

Now, back to getting our olympic/jubliee plants ready for planting up after half term...

Well done -have a STAR

(Of course you may have under-priced them or should have grown more that is what LS would have advised-who are you bring back into the boardroom?)

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

well done!  i sold my excess in front garden.. as i do with all my plants.. for 25p each..

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

yes selling out.. i had to plant some more runner beans as sold all extra ones and had people wanting more... so i planted up extra 20 for them at 25p each and htey went... very fast.. only cost me compost.. so not worried.. as they bought some flowers plants at same time..

i ahve to say i sold £52 worth of plants in last 3 days.. amazed.. everyone is starting to think about their tubs and summer colour.. amazing what a little sunshine will do.image and they are all 3 for £1.50 or the larger perennials are £1.00 each.. so all plants have nearly gone.. so not so much to water nowimage