London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
02/11/2012 at 19:12

Please be patient with my poor grammmmmar and stupid questions

al

02/11/2012 at 19:45

Why not start with a question then Alan?

02/11/2012 at 20:15

How is it I never bore of watching Monty?

When things fail he admits it and shows the results on tv, even my wife likes gw.

I have been watching gw for two years and love it. 

02/11/2012 at 20:27
Hi Alan and welcome to the forum. There's always lots of discussion on here about Gardeners World. you should look back at some previous threads. Opinion is divided on Monty and on the content of the programme.
02/11/2012 at 20:35

guess everyone to their own, could you point me in the direction of the posts so i can check them out

cheers

al

02/11/2012 at 21:20

hi alan,welcome to our forum,you will get lots of advice,cos everyone know a little about something,you also will have a good laugh we are like a big family some of us are quite witty and you can talk about any old thing you want to even to what you have for tea, so do join in.

03/11/2012 at 09:35

Alan - if you really want to read old posts about Monty put 'Monty' in the search bar at the top and you'll get loads of hits. However, this forum is amazing on so many levels so please don't restrict yourself to Monty stories! Enjoy!

03/11/2012 at 09:44
03/11/2012 at 09:45

There is also a thread for light general chat (which happens to include a few comments about last night's Gardeners World)....

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/fork-handles/3533-508.html

03/11/2012 at 12:36

Hi AL, me too not on top of the class at grammer, or useing this infernal machine,and completely brand new to our first allotment,this  gerdeners world is the best thing i joined for years,daft questions iv asked many times,had some really good advise from the ordinary person to the older experts and its all for free, good luck

Alan4711

03/11/2012 at 13:29

Alan; I've only been using this forum for a few weeks, but found everyone to be helpful; no one treats you like an idiot if you don't know something. I have never watched Gardeners World as I can't stand ANY of the presenters. I'm a Gardeners Question time person.

03/11/2012 at 14:56

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum.   I've just joined in the last couple of days and oops , I didn't realise about the introduction and just went into the overwinter fuschias thread.  So, yes, hi everyone.  I'm sure we can all  help each other out.

Yes, Monty is very open and honest with his failing crops this year!   I just love Nigel his dog too.  I've watched the prog for years and loved Geoff Hamilton and visited Barnsdale - very nostalgic.

04/11/2012 at 13:19

I agree re dear Geoff Hamilton, his books are still my basic garden 'bibles' and reading materials - such a gentle good way he had with telling things.  The hypertufa trough we made to his recipe is still going strong many years later.  

Welocme to the forum, there is no such thing as a silly question, we all learn all of the time, that's what we come here for, to learn and to share knowledge.  

04/11/2012 at 13:32

When visiting Barnsdale (a very nostalgic and reasonably price experience £5 or so) I bought a selection of DVDs and it's lovely to listen to Geoff's gentle voice, and his enthusiasm for small projects.   He encouraged me so much to garden - and introducing Bob Flowerdew!!

I do love Nigel with Monty too!!!

Hi Artjak -    ooh strong words re G.World presenters!   I sort of like Carol Kelin as a person, very bubbly (maybe too much) but she doesn't appear to give much good info.  Someone wrote asking about slugs eating plants, and the answer was to grow something that slugs don't like!   Not helpful if you've spent money and time raising plants you love!  Something like gravel at the base,  grease on stems may have been helpful etc., etc.,

Monty does give some good tips now and then i.e. how to prune wisteria was most helpful to me and it worked on a plant which had never flowered for me.   This year it was a visual delight - thanks Monty.

Hi

04/11/2012 at 21:46

Dear jots, I don't like TV presenters who desperately want us to like them. Why can't they just educate us about gardening issues without trying to impress us with how cuddly/ chuckly voiced/ testosterone ridden/ etc they are.

05/11/2012 at 08:36

Hi artjak,

Yes, I perfectly understand where your coming from.   We are all wanting to learn about gardening issues and to be inspired.  I used to love the way Geoff Hamilton had projects for the small garden.   He seemed to understand that most of the viewers had an average sized garden to enjoy and he did average sized projects for people to try or to take something from.    I always thought him to be a very genuine man whose love of the garden came before anything else.  I remember the story of him buying his wife a bunch of carnations, he took them home to her but before giving them, he took cuttings from the sides of the stems!    How down to earth is that??? and funny too

05/11/2012 at 10:20

Dear Jots, Am v. grateful that you understand my dislike of 'celebrity personalities'. For many years I didn't have a TV, so never saw Geoff Hamilton. His approach sounds perfect. I wonder if his programmes could be shown again? After all gardening is gardening no matter which decade his programmes were made in. Fashions for different plants come and go but the basics remain the same.

05/11/2012 at 10:36

Try his books, these are certainly available, and are just as good as was the man himself.  Peobably the several  series are around, in disc format, tho' I have not seen them offered for a long time.  

05/11/2012 at 12:24

Hi artjak,

When we visited Barnsdale we bought a set of his DVDs - called The Small cottage garden (or similar).   I wonder if Barnsdale have a web site where you can order some of his DVDs to watch?   I've never seen any of his progs on any of the 'other channels'.I wonder if E bay have any to sell??   He really was a lovely man and I was heartbroken when he was poorly after a heart attack.   On the road to recovery he was advised to buy a bike - apparently this was too much for his heart!   Wouldn't you think walking would have been the better recovery option?  Great, great, genuine, lovable man with plants first, viewers and somewhere down the line -   himself.

05/11/2012 at 12:38

Hi artjak,

I've just had a quick check and the BBC shop sells Geoff Hamiltons 40th celebration DVD  set for £10.  Amazon for £10.   On E -baby there's some for sale, and also some VIDEOS for 99p if you have a video recorder.   You would love him - such a gentle voice and person.

ttfn

1 to 20 of 29 messages