Start a new thread
BrummieBen

Last couple of years we have had it very warm in march, ie 20+ for a couple of weeks, then cold and lots of rain. Looking at today's weather, is it more of the same? I hope not, last year all my onions and garlic (well 95%) bolted by june (  It's making me even more anxious to try and get the hard landscaping work finished. My soil is clay and pebbles!! So as soon as it gets wet, it's a nightmare to work with.

Bunny ...
I hope for a heatwave from march to November I have clay,stoney,peaty ....wet, nightmare. Pleased for this dry spell for moving plants as soil is less claggy .
flowering rose

Well it has not rained for awhile but keep it hush,even saw a blue sky with a yellow thing in it!

clogherhead

Hi all , last year was a disaster by all accounts, a very mild winter followed by a very dry spring no rain in Feb or the first 2 weeks in march followed by the wettest April on record we had 2 glorious weeks in May with temp' up to the high 20s and then rain every day until December . I have a rain gauge on my plot it measures up to 6" at a time I emptied it 4 times up to until the 31 DEC last , so far this year there is 1.5" in the gauge  I read somewhere that one inch of rain is equal to 29 tonnes of water per acre I stand to be corrected on this ?

Derek

chilli lover

We've not had any rain to count since 13.02.13.I have loads and loads of stuff in pots and watered this afternoon cos everything was feeling a bit dry. This is after the garden being under water for months during winter.  That's why we got a rain gauge basically - because it is so easy to forget about winter drying out!

Advertisement

Gardening Grandma

It does seem to be a new weather pattern, doesn't it - a warm, pleasant spring followed by a wet, wet summer? A geology teacher once told me that weather patterns usually last about 20 years!!!

That should see me out. I'll be 86.

clogherhead

Hi  GG ,the only hot summers that I can remember was 1996 the one before that was 86 and the one before that 76 hot dry summers water rationing from what year are you counting

Derek

The last really hot summer we had was 2006.  I remember sitting in my caravan, with all of the windows open, hoping for a breeze, and listening to the local radio saying we were hotter (burnham-on-sea) than cyprus!!

That summer was long and hot, I remember as I got married in September 2006 and was standing outside the church for the photos, hoping the photographer would get a wiggle on as I could feel my shoulders getting sunburn!

We must be due a nice summer soon, surely?

clogherhead

Hi  Mummy muddy paws .God is Good ,  keep praying .

Derek

Bunny ...
Yes 2006 was scorching , we were building house, all spare time was on it ... I was insulating upstairs ...in million degrees (felt like it) , lived n caravan ...no air con tourer, could hear neighbours on street laughing with paddling pools , hosepipes and BBQ 's .... We were working