London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 4°C
5 messages
21/07/2013 at 21:18

I know I've got to keep horse manure (fresh today) for 6+ months  before use.  At the moment it is in black plastic bags. Should I tip it out onto the garden or will it be ok in the sacks?  If it is ok in the sacks should I make holes in them?  thanks, Maggie

21/07/2013 at 21:24

My neighbour gave me some of this magic stuff.  I put some on the compost heap (it aids decomposition, I believe) and kept the rest in sacks.  I didn't puncture the bags, since the moisture would leak out, but after a few months, it was mature enough to use on the garden.  It was especially valuable (too late for this season) as an additive to the trench where the runner/climbing French beans were planted.  Must have been good - I have never had such a prolific and early crop before - and this after, as we know, a long, cold and wet spring!

21/07/2013 at 22:13

It's a wonderful way to breed worms too. If you take a couple from your compost heap and pop them into the bag, leave an air pocket at the top with maybe a tiny hole or two (push a pencil through) and you will be amazed at the number of worms you have after a few months.

21/07/2013 at 22:29

I have horses, so I just leave it in a pile for a year until it is black.

23/07/2013 at 16:15

thanks all.  I will toss a couple of spadeful in the compost and find a few worms to help the bags along.  Maggie

email image
5 messages