Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

horse manure in plastic bags

I know I've got to keep horse manure (fresh today) for 6+ months  before use.  At the moment it is in black plastic bags. Should I tip it out onto the garden or will it be ok in the sacks?  If it is ok in the sacks should I make holes in them?  thanks, Maggie

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

My neighbour gave me some of this magic stuff.  I put some on the compost heap (it aids decomposition, I believe) and kept the rest in sacks.  I didn't puncture the bags, since the moisture would leak out, but after a few months, it was mature enough to use on the garden.  It was especially valuable (too late for this season) as an additive to the trench where the runner/climbing French beans were planted.  Must have been good - I have never had such a prolific and early crop before - and this after, as we know, a long, cold and wet spring!

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,269

It's a wonderful way to breed worms too. If you take a couple from your compost heap and pop them into the bag, leave an air pocket at the top with maybe a tiny hole or two (push a pencil through) and you will be amazed at the number of worms you have after a few months.image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I have horses, so I just leave it in a pile for a year until it is black.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 230

thanks all.  I will toss a couple of spadeful in the compost and find a few worms to help the bags along.  Maggie

• Hello

I have two bags (plastic) of horse manure which have been tied up for 3 months outside my house. I have just opened them to look in and there are hundreds of minute black flies on in both bags. No smell but manure is dry but soft . Is this normal ? And can it be used with all those flies?? Any help please

• Absolutely fine and normal ... the flies will disappear when you use the manure.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364

It must be quite difficult trying to get the horses to poop into the bags though. image

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• I have about 20 plastic sacks of manure tied with cable ties and I will use this manure next year
    Lucky for us as we get manure delivered for free at our allotment site 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I have horse poo and woodchip delivered free and layer them up for a year . Perfect. 
    Forgive the salt on the window, Blame Eunice.
    Devon.