Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How much....

......did you pay for your first car?

Hunting through some old paperwork this morning I found the following invoice:

'One second hand Morris Minor as seen, tried and approved.

£40. 0. 0. +  £3. .0 .0 for work carried out to pass MOT inspection.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

My first car was a pale blue Austin 1100 I bought it in late 1970 and it cost me £100 taxed MOTd and ready for the road. image 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Mine was a motercycle which I bought for £100 in about 1978 and sold five years later for.. £150! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Awwww.... I passed my driving test in a new Morris 1100, Dove. image Driving lessons were £5 for a double lesson. image

• BobTheGardener wrote (see)

Mine was a motercycle which I bought for £100 in about 1978 and sold five years later for.. £150! image

Had lots of motor cycles, Bob....think the first one was a BSA A7 500cc twin (1959) costing around £300.

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318

£45 for a Standard 10 de luxe in 1970. V proud, only car I have ever owned, remember insisting everyone knew it was de luxe!

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

No idea what OH paid for his first car and I didn't take a test til I was 30 and we moved to the outskirts of London with no more tubes and buses everywhere.

Possum has just got her first car.   In Belgium learners must first pass a theory test then either have a minimum number of hours with a fully licensed driver - parent or friend - or pay for 20 hours with a driving school at €2000 which we had to do as both our cars are automatics.

Then they take a driving test of sorts.   She now has a provisional license and can drive on her own but not after 10pm and not on Saturdays and public holidays.   We have bought her a tank - Toyota Corolla - €1750 - with a good engine and sturdy bodywork and manual gearbox and I am no longer a taxi - except on Saturdays.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I got mine free when I was 18 . My grandad bought it (Black morris minor deluxe with grey leather seats but no seat belts) when I was three months old. He only used it in the summer, the rest of the year he used his business volkswagon van. So when I got it it had less than 50, 000 miles on the clock.  I used it for five years, then when I got a company car, my brother had it. He took out the 948 cc engine and put an 1100 in. He got quite adept at changing engines, gear boxes, and a back axle.  He had it for another four years.   We found the original receipt.  £504.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

Mine was a Ford Fiesta in 1989 for £4695 in radiant red, which faded to a dull orange. Lovely car.

• pansyface wrote (see)

I've never owned a car but my first motorbike cost £5.00 (pre MOT days) and I got a nice boyfriend to restore it for me.image

Not sure what year it was, but I do remember (in my teens) having an 'NSU Quickly'...49cc & German made. Anyone remember those?

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Mini, bought 1976 for £200. Told dad I was going to buy a motor bike for £100, he said he would match my money if I bought a car.

Still remember Reg. No. GOF 259D.

Best car, Triumph TR6, bought in 1984. Thought it would be a babe magnet.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border