Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How to post photos from iPad

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd make a 'how to' guide on how to post photos from an iPad.

1, have the cursor where you wish the photo to appear and click the tree icon:

2, this box should appear. Click select on the 'your computer' tab:

3, two options appear. If the photo is already on the iPad select 'choose existing', if not select 'take photo' to take you to your camera screen.

4, if 'select existing' was chosen, all the albums on your iPad should appear. Photos in camera roll should migrate to photo stream and the photos should appear there in time if connected to wifi. I always use photo stream or my other albums rather than camera roll which turns photos on their sides or does not upload them properly.

5, After selecting photo stream the most recent of the photos are shown. You can scroll up the photos to select an earlier picture:

6, After selecting a photo the photo stream will vanish and within 30 seconds the image should appear in the image box. If it does not it may indicate that the photo is too large and will require cropping. Click save.

7, The screen will return to the forum page and the image will appear, sometimes unrolling slowly. I can now add further text or another photo if required:

If you decide the photo is not wanted, tap on it to highlight it and select the backspace  key.

If you hide the keypad before inserting a photo please note the cursor will return to the top of the screen which will result in the photo appearing at the top, above any previous text.

I hope that has been helpful and no one feels patronised which wasn't my intention.

I know there are some technologically minded people on this forum so please feel free to add anything or correct anything I've said.

Wearside, England.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Hey, Victoria, did you write that for me?  Thats great, do you always put your photo's in photo stream, I dont know anything about that.

You mention that if you take them straight off the pad that they will come out sideways, you see a lot of that on here.

Mine hasnt arrived yet, it will probably  take me a while to set it up.

Do you have any anti spyware on yours?.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

That's really kind of you Victoria and I know you have tried to help me many times, think I've driven you nuts! image I get to number 2 on your guide and tap on select and nothing happens image My oh thinks it cos we have old type iPad, I've tried going through all the settings but to no avail but one good thing is what you suggested to me re photo stream as never had that before image 

• Hi Lyn,

I've noticed a few people querying about uploading pics from their iPad and was trying to help PilgrimPete on his slug thread earlier but I don't think it worked sadly image

If you're getting an iPad it will set itself up for you asking a series of questions- they are brilliant.

My version doesn't have a flash on the camera so I use it in conjunction with my iPhone, but the newer versions may have.

When you take a photo it will automatically go into the camera roll album and then with internet access will also appear in the photo stream album. Camera roll never works for me to upload but I would be interested to know if it works for others. If the photos don't move albums as quick as I'd like I use the 'add to' feature and move it into an album I created which also uploads fine. I can't add to photo stream for some reason. It catches up eventually and so will make duplicates in photo stream. Essentially I end up with the same photos in two default albums and possibly a third in an album I created.

There is also an airdrop feature so you can move things quickly into nearby devices which I use if my phone and iPad don't synchronise quickly enough.

I don't have spyware, no. I looked into it but can't remember why I didn't get any. I could probably use the one I have on my computer I suppose.

Wearside, England.
  • You didn't drive me nuts Beaus Mum! I have a special interest in trying to help as I got stuck in the forum spam filter for ages but thought it was a problem at my end with the systems I usedimage

Ive got iPad 4. I don't know why it won't come up with options for selecting pics with yours though. That's a puzzle to me...

I bet Bob the Gardener would know. I think he is a tech whizz!image

Wearside, England.

I have just advised someone new to you image

Think oh needs to buy me new iPad image

Thank you as always for you help, much appreciated 

• I just realised I missed a key part out of stage 6image

In between pic's 5 & 6 above click upload:

This is part of the reason I don't write technical manuals...

Wearside, England.

Good luck runny break, glad you found Victoria's thread image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Thanks Vic,  that is so helpful.

Its not a latest one, its an ipad 2 7" 

I am pleased to hear it will set itself up, I suppose we will have the same old password bit, but I can use the same as the android tablet, hopefully. I am pleased you explained about the camera roll.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Lyn, and Victoria, regarding pics coming out sideways, I have noticed that my portrait pics often end up sideways but my landscape ones come out normal. 

To rectify the issue I have to rotate the pictures and save each time I do it. When I load the pic up then it stays upright image

I'm on an iPad 2 but haven't updated my operating system to the most up to date one - I like the one I'm using image

• That's interesting Panda- perhaps that is a characteristic of ipad2. I know what you mean because I occasionally have to rotate photos that I have imported but somehow iPad 4/ photo stream seems to know which way up the picture is. So if I'm viewing my pics with the screen on landscape, the portrait pics will only take up the centre portion of the screen, unless I rotate the actual iPad to portrait, if that makes sense.

Camera roll always makes the same rotation for me. It takes the photo and makes one rotation to the left so the top of the photo will be at 9 o clock but often it just makes the outline of a blank box on the screen.image

Wearside, England.