London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
41 to 60 of 63 messages
10/06/2013 at 23:56

Why have I only just found this thread?

My garden is 7m by 4,6m and all paved. When I moved here my ex OH let me bring 4 pots with me to grow things in the garden. I now have over 100 pots all crammed with anything I can fit in. Love bright flowers but also like to have something to look at in winter.

11/06/2013 at 00:20
Bev Pounsett-Krynauw wrote (see)

When I moved here my ex OH let me bring 4 pots with me to grow things in the garden. 

Bev- that's one of the saddest things I've read in ages.

'Let you' bring 4 pots.

I'm glad you've got lots now- and good riddance!!

The pix of your garden on the other thread show just how much you've done. As Gok says- you go girlfriend!

11/06/2013 at 02:20

Best thing I can say right now is 'a work in progress'. Got my GH built, got most of the raised bed veg plot done, lawn is coming along, borders nearly sifted and ready. Fence has been replaced, need a big bespoke shed built, need to build some cold frames, need to rip out about 30 yards of privet and replace with pyrocanthus, (which needs to be grown from cuttings)

Yeah lots to do, as I said, 'work in progress'.

11/06/2013 at 07:50

exciting though Brummie?

11/06/2013 at 08:11

Not much to do then Brummie... 

How long do you think it would take the pyra cuttings to get to a decent size?

11/06/2013 at 10:01

Our garden is 30 ft long, but 100ft wide (due to the shape of our house) so everything is visible from the house.  It's a family garden where we all work and play, but it's really my passion. I'm trying to create a potager feel with some raised beds, lots of climbers and herbaceous perennials. Lots of bird boxes, feeders and I have plans for an insect house too.

My pride and joy though is my western red cedar greenhouse - if I was allowed to, I'd probably just move in!

11/06/2013 at 13:30

Pyracanthus can grow 2 feet each year in my garden now established. Needs a good pruning each year. Keep on top of it or it will be thuggish to control.

11/06/2013 at 13:56

I love pyracantha WW and I'm considering it for my hedge. Expensive to do as not normally available bare root.Thinking through my options. Doing cuttings will probably be too slow for me.

Lindsay --the greenhouse sounds a great idea - a 'woman' cave!

11/06/2013 at 16:21

Pyracantha.looks beautiful when it is covered in berries,but it is awful to prune,those thorns are brutish.It grows rapidly,so as Woodgreen says you need to keep on top of it.

I got so fed up with being stabbed I took mine out (Not Easy)

11/06/2013 at 19:06

All these wonderful descriptions- I really want to see pics please.

11/06/2013 at 19:38

I've only just found this thread too. As I live in SW France there is more land available and my garden is too big! There wasn't a garden when we came here in 1990, but we started to make one and it grew! Heavy going at first, clay and limestone in patches with rocks under the surface.

I'm a plantaholic so kept having to make new beds. At first there were lots of small plants planted in 'ones' like a pincushion! But now it's all filled out and has more order to it. There is over an acre, but the main flower garden bit behind the house, which is fenced against the deer is 38m x 24m. I have roses and deer love roses!There is also a veg garden, about 20m x 10m.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25267.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

11/06/2013 at 19:51

I'd love to have an acre.  I wanted to do Horticulture when I was 14. I was persuaded to do something else for money and keep plant growing as  a hobby. However as I get older, my first love keeps drawing me back.

11/06/2013 at 20:41

me too, an acre would be great. I would grow some decent trees then

re pyracantha, I removed mine.  had 2 of them but they arevigorous vicious plants.  those thorns are hardly garden friendly and the pruning needs to be regular to control it.  mine were trained as espaliers and did look good.  if children attend, or anybody brushes past a pyracantha expect cuts or worse.  pampas grass, agaves, yuccas too....no spot in my garden for these thugs

11/06/2013 at 21:48

I cut back my pyracantha last year... by the end of the day my clothes wre ripped beyond further use and my arms and legs were very badly scratched and punctured and stayed that way for weeks. This year I chickened out. Still not sure what to do with them in the longer term.

12/06/2013 at 01:21

Ah but I have a plan, yes amongst all the others!!! I have access to plenty of pyrocanta cuttings, what I shall probably try is the pencil thick 12 " heel in to a nursery bed method. (Similar to roses) For a hedge I'm thinking 10-12 " spacing, with a second row behind spaced inbetween. The plants will be cut every month, shears or trimmer to ensure the hedge becomes very tight and thick. After that it's a question of cutting the soft growth every 6 weeks or so. Not so much different from the privet. Hoping the hedge provides shelter and nest sites for birds, also deters people trying to come through or over. Bear in mind this hedge will be starting basically 6 ft above pavement height, so even a couple of foot will stop anybody 'climbing' :P 

You might think I'm mad, but I've just taken a load of Berberis cuttings, to line the trellis fence I put up between myself and the neighbours. It's 4ft high, but because of all the steps, all the pizza and taxi junkmail people vault the fence and it will fall down eventually. Lets see how they like a handful of berberis.. (I'm tempted to setup a camera just so I can laugh)

12/06/2013 at 01:27

oh, and regards to the cuttings, nursery bed with good soil/watered etc, using pencil thickness, should be established by autumn, then by next summer easily viable for hedging. I will when I rip the current hedge out, obviously dig a good 18 inch - 2 foot down, clear any bricks stones etc then stick a good foot of manure/organic, then compost/soil mix on top to plant in. Keep it watered and they should get me easy a foot in the first year, and that will be with cutting every 3-4 weeks to maintain density and thickness.

12/06/2013 at 06:41

I'm not sure how I would describe my garden, other than small and compact and full of pots. I reckon it's only around 8m x 5m, but i have it jam packed with plants. I also have a drive incorporated into that space.

It's took me a while to get it the way I wanted and I also like the idea of moving the pots around when I feel like a change or if a plant isnt doing so well in a certain place. I have a particular addiction to Japan Maples, most of which are kept quite small.

I would love more space, but I think I'm happy with the way it is (for now!!) and I love sitting in it when we get good weather here in the North-East. In time I would love to create a japanese style garden with flowing water (I might have to get rid of the drive to do that!). Here's a few pictures from different angles.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25309.jpg?width=233&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25312.jpg?width=233&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25313.jpg?width=233&height=350&mode=max

12/06/2013 at 07:47

Multi-functional, I guess would be my description.  It's L-shaped, and leading out from the house is an 'outdoor room' areathat's paved with seating, table and chairs, and outdoor kitchen with BBQ and pizza oven. Then there's four beds with a path through the middle and a seat to sit and look at it all and as you turn the corner you see the veg patch, greenhouse, she'd and small grass area for the dog.

Lots of different angles to look at it from and see different things!

12/06/2013 at 11:31

Osakazuki - that is a beautiful garden!  What a great use of space to create an oasis of calm .  I also love japanese maples, and just have two right now...but I'm planning on expanding my collection!

12/06/2013 at 11:38

Osakazuki, could you squeeze just one more plant in there? It's really impressive. 

B-L your garden always looks so romantic 

41 to 60 of 63 messages