London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
1 to 20 of 63 messages
07/06/2013 at 21:03

Time for "best kept garden" competitions again.  Is yours a "best kept" or is it something else.  An adventure for the grandchildren.  Cricket/football pitch.  Allotment for producing veg or cut flowers  Cottage garden. Sensory garden. Rose garden White garden. Scented garden. Wildlife garden.   One thing for certain, no such thing as the average English Garden.   My friend lived in Pittsburgh for a while. She grew roses and what would be described as a  cottage garden. One of the american locals said she was known as the lady with the "English Garden" The average american garden was known as the yard, and a patch of grass at the front.

What have you got?

07/06/2013 at 21:14

something else. always just short of a wilderness this year it's tipped over. 

07/06/2013 at 21:21

Over the years my garden has taken on just about all of your list, except of course "best kept". Now have plans for Water and Alpines!! Is there no end? 

There are no problems in my garden, only challenges.. it's just that there are so many challenges that it's become a bit of a problem.

07/06/2013 at 21:24

I can relate to that WW

KEF
07/06/2013 at 21:39

Ours is 120 feet long, 40 feet wide. We have 2 GH's & a shed. Borders on both sides, and an ericaceous bed beneath an old apple tree. Small veg plot with some veg amongst flowers & stuff in tubs. No designated style of beds, just planted stuff I liked where it would go, initially planted shrubs too near together but wanted some swift height & privacy. Currently "thinning out borders". We have two areas of green, ( three, some out the front) can't call them lawns.

The garden is my sanctuary, I wander around especially in the morning and try and appreciate the lovely things. I don't always find gardening a pleasure, especially weeding, but love to sew, plant and watch things grow & love eating fresh veg. I'm still working on my plan that Sunday's we don't garden we just observe & appreciate. But you know what it's like, sit down for a few minutes and you always see something that needs attention.

In answer to your thread Fbones, I don't know how I'd describe my garden, I have some well loved common stuff, some unusual, some too big and in wrong place, but I think what matters is that we like it.

I'm looking forward to hearing what other members say, good subject for a thread.

07/06/2013 at 22:00

Haphazard cottage and wildlife garden

KEF
07/06/2013 at 22:02

OOPs amendment to garden size it is 120 yards x 40 ..NOT feet, never was any good at numbers.

07/06/2013 at 22:30

A constant challenge.  Always changing as I have never been totally happy with it.  But that's what I love about it. If ever I got it perfect, what would I do.

Mainly shrubs, some evergreen, bushes, trees. Lots of ground cover. More needed. All types of climbers. 

I think its great.

KEF
08/06/2013 at 08:17
KEF wrote (see)

OOPs amendment to garden size it is 120 yards x 40 ..NOT feet, never was any good at numbers.

Think I'll take more water with it...the garden is in feet..it's a garden not an airport runway.

08/06/2013 at 09:34

And don't get started on metres, etc, Kef.

08/06/2013 at 10:00

...I like the sound of your garden Tina... full of interest it would seem..

overplanted but controlled, would be mine... I ought to put a sign saying ''full up'' around my borders, just to remind me, when next I go shopping...

08/06/2013 at 10:38

Hard work would describe ours. Just under an acre and FULL. The Estate Agent came and values the house for us when we were considering moving, then went round the garden and added £20,000 for the plants.

08/06/2013 at 10:44

My garden is full of potential

Wow Berghill - an estate agent valued plants - and they were worth 20,000! I've never heard of anything like that before. Friends advised us not to buy this house because the garden was too big, and it would drive us mad. We wanted the house though so we bought it - and here I am now becoming a gardener!

08/06/2013 at 11:49

my garden well.... it started off as well kept.. now it is more self seed adn remove it not in right place.. and just let it do its thing... i just go round and weed and dead head and split and divide when needed..

i think i am more romantic/cottage style.. but i am always changing it each year.. as my ideas and loves change..

08/06/2013 at 12:43

The Agent was a gardener I must add and then he spoiled it all by saying that we would stand a better chance of selling if we had left it as a field for horses.

08/06/2013 at 12:58

well kept I suppose.

try to grow good lawns, tender perennials, shrubs, ornamental grasses, hardy perennials, fruit, veg and keep a pool.

i love structural plants...not in to bananas preferring cannas...and associations of colour and shapes.  bit of a plantsman...got lots of unusual things...and have to have latest plants.  plant for today, enjoy for now, and still plan for tomorrow.

love my front lawn...its soft, lush n green, perfect to sit on and play on and for my dog Spike to laze on and chew his bone on...and must have those stripes

garden is my passion so bit of a perfectionist even though I am far from being that

annuals for me belong in pots..never look quite right in the garden

mild climate so dont have too many winter losses but lose out on those autumn colours colder areas often enjoy

08/06/2013 at 14:14

Is that a swimming pool Verdun?  Just getting my towel to place on the sunlounger. Won't be long.

Forgot to add, I have a pond with koi and goldfish.  Very theraputic but can be a bit of a worry at times.

08/06/2013 at 14:24

Gappy romantic...until I have my way and it becomes secret shady garden

08/06/2013 at 19:19

no Tina..its only a little 'un and only couple of fish.  had occasional visits from local berons though and its utter devastation then.  almost every fish is taken

so Tina, you have a pool...how is your garden?  your favourite plants?

08/06/2013 at 19:31

I know what you mean about estate agents , Blueboots.

I spent a year looking for a house with a big garden. I eventually  bought a garden (well lots of lawn and plenty of potential really), with a house attached. I then spent 20 years wanting to sort out next doors.  When it last came up for sale, everyone that looked at it kept talking about getting the oak tree (with preservation order) down and the garden being a building plot.

Thankfully my Toyboy sold his house and bought  the house next door to mine.

It  has a tenant in and now I have two gardens to look after

1 to 20 of 63 messages