London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
21 to 40 of 68 messages
16/08/2012 at 23:18
How can we get our voices across that we want gardening progs to be about PLANTS? New plants, different varieties, growing them together for contrast, etc? Even Chelsea seems to concentrate on.garden construction and themes and meanings etc. I enjoy the plants and I think it's the plants that inspire most of us. Geoff Hamilton years ago and Alan Titchmarsh more recently talked more about plants ...Carol Kleine does too occasionally
17/08/2012 at 15:44

I also watched about 10 minutes of it and changed over to football (which must be a first for me).  Like LavenderLady and everyone else I would like Gardeners World extended to an  hour or a programme that gives ideas for new plants and how to do the jobs that are probably easy but maybe not everyone finds easy, such as staking tomatoes/ runner beans.  Mine always seem to collapse.

17/08/2012 at 15:57

Can I ask how many posters watch Beechgrove the Scottish gardening programme. It covers techniques, new plants, reviews of compost etc A great compliment to GW. The timing is slightly out for us southerners but well worth watching on i-player. 

17/08/2012 at 16:14

Hi Kate, I enjoy Beechgrove on the i-player, like the trials that they do

17/08/2012 at 17:10

I won't watch things in iplayer - I like to view in comfort on a large screen  but I understand it is a good programme and wish it was available on tv 

17/08/2012 at 18:08

I don't have iplayer. Beechgrove sounds like a great program.  I wish there were more gardening programs on Sky , there used to be at one time. Agree with lavenderlass, an extension to GW would be great.

17/08/2012 at 18:11
nibbs wrote (see)

I don't have iplayer. Beechgrove sounds like a great program.  I wish there were more gardening programs on Sky , there used to be at one time. Agree with lavenderlass, an extension to GW would be great.

If you have got Sky you can pick up Beechgrove-i- player is on the BBC website-why can't you get it?

17/08/2012 at 18:17

I didn't know anything about it til I saw the post from Kate1123. What day and time is it on,please.

17/08/2012 at 18:20

Sky ch 990 -Thursday 7.30

17/08/2012 at 18:23

Lowenna-  I know what you mean about the big screen. A way round this would be to download Beechgrove and then watch it as at a DVD.

Nibbs- I agree, you can watch it on the bbc  iplayer. I think it's on there for 7 days after its screening

17/08/2012 at 18:40

This is what the review in next week's Radio Times says about Flowerpot Gang, talking about next week's program...

"If Gardeners World isn't quite tearjerking enough for you, try Flowerpot Gang....

... It's just a shame that these people have to take part in a sentimental TV show to get what they need."

17/08/2012 at 18:42
sotongeoff wrote (see)
nibbs wrote (see)

If you have got Sky you can pick up Beechgrove-i- player is on the BBC website-why can't you get it?

....or  Freesat channel 970 or Virgin Media channel 862.

17/08/2012 at 19:02

It is also repeated this Sunday at 4.55pm

It is not perfect but at least it is not mawkish when they do community gardens.

18/08/2012 at 11:30

Thanks very much sotongeoff, David K and Kate1123. I've put this on my personal planner,and I'm looking forward to watching it.

18/08/2012 at 12:56

Thank you - I only have built in Freeview, but I might download it, thanks Holliehock 

19/08/2012 at 21:37

The first I knew of Beechgrove was reading Kate1123 and the rest of the posts and I watched in on IPlayer last night.  Thoroughily enjoyed it.  Very informative and I will be watching it regularly from now on.

20/08/2012 at 07:42

I didn't know about Beechgrove til I read it about it on here.  I watched it on BBCi player and enjoyed it as well.  I think I will be watching it every week as well. 

Really enjoyed this weeks GW this latest series has been brilliant - especially Nigel - my westie Angus loves him.

20/08/2012 at 09:20

I am glad that you both enjoyed it. They also produce factsheets, where they gave more details, like the price per litre of compost and germination rates of seeds.

http://www.thebeechgrovegarden.com/

20/08/2012 at 11:11

My husband found Beechgrove when i was moaning about lack of gardening programmes. Have not had chance to view it - to busy gardening! I see it has fact sheets as well so MUst watch.

As for other programmes. I would love to see ones where borders are planned, how to balance plants for max effect, how to rectify mistakes - we all make them.- In fact a HOW TO programme to suplement GW

20/08/2012 at 11:14

Sorry all I meant 'compliment GW'

21 to 40 of 68 messages