London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
7 messages
22/12/2013 at 15:34

I have a bowl of 6 hyacinth bulbs, - 2 packs of 3 all same variety. All 6 seemed to be doing well then flowers on 3 have shrivelled as they are forming, and now a 4th has started to go as well.  The shrivelled flower stem has mould at  the bottom of the stem and the stem fell out when I touched it.  Another bowl planted a month later is starting to produce flowers normally.  What could be the problem with the first lot?  I am sure they had enough water!  Diseased bulbs or something I might have done, or not done?  I grow hyacinths every year and never had this problem before.  Maggie

22/12/2013 at 15:36

Could they have had too much water?

22/12/2013 at 16:29

maybe too hot a room and watered too often,I suspect its the heat.

22/12/2013 at 22:20

After much debate as to whether they'd flower on Christmas Day, I bought some hyacinth bulbs from a local nursery, in tiny starter pots, last weekend, bearly 2-3 inches tall but with buds showing, and potted them up. They've doubled in size and coming on like real troopers, and the buds are looking like they may well flower in the next week.

My point is, is it worth growing your own from bulbs when you can get them already established, these I bought were about £1 each.

23/12/2013 at 13:50

too true ,takes  a lot of effort out and what a bargain almost the price of the bulb .

23/12/2013 at 14:23

I note what you say, nutcutlet, but I was careful with the watering.  I have grown them successfully for the past 12 years, and am sure I did nothing different this year..  And no, they definitely were not too warm. 

I know I could possibly have bought them cheaper but I like the challenge! I will buy some next week, and there's always next year!

Mags

23/12/2013 at 22:48

Know what you mean about the challenge but I've thrown in the towel for indoor winter flowering hyacinth and point setters.

Since posting yesterday mine are beginning to open, really don't think they will flower by Wendesday but a good show for the weekend and New Year.   

email image
7 messages