London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
7 messages
20/07/2012 at 12:12

hello everyone can anyone please advise me of the best way to propagate hydranegas.

many thanks in advance

Johnny

20/07/2012 at 12:13

thank you for all your help

20/07/2012 at 13:40

From cuttings-take a non-flowering shoot around 4/5 inches trim to just below a leaf -node -push into compost around the edge of a pot- do a few to be sure you have a success-cover with a plastic bag they will root in around 3/4 weeks

here is a video that probably explains it better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TitjCaLH0ys

20/07/2012 at 19:00
I was wondering too how was the best way thanks for the link, when is the best time to do it.
20/07/2012 at 19:04
pavery026 wrote (see)
I was wondering too how was the best way thanks for the link, when is the best time to do it.

Now is a good a time as any.

25/07/2012 at 15:18

Great thanks for your help i already have about 6 in pots but alas not not around the edges but  in  the center and not covered although they are in a greenhouse But i,ll take some more cuttings and try your method incidently what difference does it make planting them around the edges of a pot?? something thats always intrigued me but if that works great, ive also heard that its best to to  cut through the leaf along the vein as this lets more light in and more nutrients.  kind regards Johnny1

25/07/2012 at 15:39

Cutting the leaves in half reduces the leaf area and therefore reduces moisture loss- nothing to do with light or nutrients-they don't need nutrient to root- you can root them just in water-also the plastic bag increases the humidity

It will be too hot in the greenhouse- some where shaded is preferable- they do not need heat to root.

email image
7 messages