London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
7 messages
22/03/2013 at 19:19

My neighbour has given me 2 x Hydranga cuttings.(No roots)  How do I plant them?

Lyn
22/03/2013 at 19:31

I dont think its the right time to take these cuttings,but if you do want to try,  this is what I do.

http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/container/hydrangea/index.html

22/03/2013 at 19:43

Or you could just try rooting them in water-as soon as the roots start appearing then pot them up-perhaps try both methods?

22/03/2013 at 20:10

Thank you both very much.  I have a new greenhouse and am trying /learning lots of things.  Cant wait to get started.

23/03/2013 at 04:52

Never tried with cuttings, be interested to hear how they take...

Dont have agreen house...had success by layering...

choose a stem close to ground...gently manouvre to bend into ground..once you can see where the stem will touch the earth..scrape the underside to reveal green growth..bury that part or the stem in the soil..peg it down (or use stone to hold into ground)

within a year the new roots will have appeared on the 'scraped' stem and..new plant. 

Plant has nutrients from 'mother' plant and soil from the start.

Only have room for one in this garden...it's a beauty

23/03/2013 at 14:42

Hi Robin i know how you feel i had to dig up a hydrangea last year so i took 40 cuttings in completely the wrong time of year  , i asked advise and i was told to go ahead and try better then not trying at all ,,and hey i have now 36 farly good looking plants wintering in the well lit very cold  garage slowly hardening off ready to go back,i tried 2 out 2 weeks ago and almost lost them to frost so indoors for a little longer , i just planted as normal into pots in a well drained mix Hydrangeas are tryers and dont give up easily i love em

good luck Rob

Alan4711

12/05/2013 at 20:41

I have just moved house,which had lovely soil one could grow anythink in it. My new house has awful soil its all clay i cant seem to dig it , my cats certainly dont like it. Any sugestions on how to cope with it and what to grow in it ,please.

email image
7 messages