London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
4 messages
03/12/2012 at 16:07

Hi everybody,once again advise if you can please,iv taken loads of Hydrangea  cuttings and they are doing ok indoors some single pots some 5or6 in large pots,its the first time iv done this as i want them for shrub wind protection up the allotment which is quite open and windy, on average there about 3or4 inches high, Now at what stage do i either put the pots  outside to toughen up?  or do i plant straight into soil next year,if either of these when! and any special needs and do you think to form a hedge how far apart should they be

cheersAlanjust joking its raining here again

03/12/2012 at 16:11

I would wait until spring,the frost and these very low temperatures will most likely kill them,I lost alot of cuttings last year by not protecting from the frost and severe cold.

03/12/2012 at 16:15

I would put them in the greenhouse or cold-frame rather than leave them indoors-but protect the pots from freezing

It is a bit late to consider planting anything out now-when you have well rooted plants plant them out next year.

03/12/2012 at 16:26

And I hope the winds you get are not as cold as the ones which whistle through here in April. We lose all the new growth on any Hydrangea macrophylla so as a hedge they would be useless. They are also deciduous so not a lot of protection from the wind to be gained in Winter either.

email image
4 messages