London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 33 messages
02/03/2014 at 11:53

I am a sniffer. this morning i was smelling tomatoes in the supermarket. Most people will smell flowers, but its also the leaves that smell.

Eucalyptus leaves smell of.. well eucalyptus except the Eucalyptus citriodora which smells of lemons. As do Lippia citriodora(lemon verbena) and of course lemon tree leaves, and lemon balm. Except if you compare them one after the other, they are all vaguely lemony, but also different. The leaves of Houttonia cordata chameleon smell of marmalade oranges.

Of course all the leaves used as herbs have scents, lavender, rosemary, thymes,sages.

Blackcurrant leaves have an intense scent when crushed and can be used to make a wonderful sorbet. 

What do you like to sniff at?

Edd
02/03/2014 at 12:01

Camomile with its pineapple / apple sent and Basil.

02/03/2014 at 12:05

chrysanthemum leaves. childhood memories of my granddad, blood fish and bone also reminds me of him.

02/03/2014 at 12:10

You'd be better off asking what I don't sniff - the leaves of Crown Imperial lilies and red and black currant bushes - the leaves of some roses smell amazing - Mme Alfred Carriere particularly, tomato leaves and stems, Herb Robert, all the herbs of course, fresh mown grass, a sun-parched garden with rain falling on it, a field of flowering field beans, a freshly harvested wheat field  ............

02/03/2014 at 12:17

Basil and coriander are definitely top of the list...I LOVE  the smell of them and also anything citrus, I love it when you go abroad and the oranges and lemons actually smell. I use pink grapefruit cleaner everywhere in my house (yes I am mad!).

I also love the smell of roses, and cut grass too.  There are loads of 'garden' smells I like  Strawberries is another, when they are fresh and obviously tomatoes as you've already said.

I think my list could actually be endless 

02/03/2014 at 12:38

Well I think you've covered it really,  LOVE  the smell of cut grass, tomato leaves, basil sage, rosemary. Eucalyptus,  cyrsanthumums (they remind me of my nans garden she had loads) strawberries blackberries. Pine cones/pine trees.

The smell when you've just had rain, morning dew.

Love the smell of  the shrub Daphne, but that cheating cos its the flower.

There's

s an indoor plant my mum had when I was young, can't remember the name but the leaves smelt of lemons.

02/03/2014 at 12:39

Oops.

02/03/2014 at 12:43

Lippia citriodora, salvia elegans, artemisias, ESP the common boyslove, lilies ESP Regale, a phlox...the name of which escapes for a mo, sarcoccoca, daphne, philadelphus, heliotrope Chatsworth, common gorse is wonderful when massed on our Towans and we can walk amongst it, and daff cheerfulness.

Edd
02/03/2014 at 12:46

Surprised no one has mentioned the fertilizer section in the GC. Or is it just me,perhaps a bloke thing?

02/03/2014 at 13:00

A bloke thing Edd cos I know exactly what you mean.  

Oh, hyacinths in spring.  I have quite a number near seating, doors and windows.  Wonderful scent 

02/03/2014 at 13:06

I mentioned on another thread that I love the smell of Blood, Fish and Bone so I  know what you and Verd mean Edd! 

I hate the smell of tomato foliage, lavender and pelargoniums  Lily - perhaps you had them (pelargoniums) when you were young - some  have lemon scented leaves.

I love cut grass and pine cones too. I love pruning bits off the pine tree I have here because of the smell of the resin, and I love using rosemary because of the smell when you cut it. 

02/03/2014 at 13:56
Verdun wrote (see)

............, common gorse is wonderful when massed on our Towans and we can walk amongst it,......

Oh yes Verdun, the smell of gorse on a hot sunny day - absolutely intoxicating!

02/03/2014 at 14:00

Fairy girl.....really??   My beagles love the smell of blood, fish and bone too, so much so they dug up my plants to get to it.  There is a warning on the box that dogs might like it so dig it in well, now I know why!!!

Nothing at all to do with plants but babies, love that freshly bathed baby smell 

Edd
02/03/2014 at 14:06

BABIES! I don't want that smell any time soon thanks. Lay of the petrol.

02/03/2014 at 14:18

Are you saying I'm a dog Tracey.....

Ooh petrol Edd 

The white spirit at work as well....

Love Basil and Thyme.

And the way soil smells in spring and summer after a heavy shower 

02/03/2014 at 14:28

LOL Fairy, of course not  I just thought it was quite comical as I've never used it before and can't believe the reaction from my hounds 

Petrol......urghhhhhhhh, when I was pregnant my hubbie had to fill the car up because to the smell made me feel so ill!  

Now my plant in the garden has been identified I can also add Artemisia to my list of smells I like, it is next to be lavender by the patio area and the smell in the summer is amazing 

02/03/2014 at 15:42

I let my Choisya grow over the path because I love the spicy, savoury smell when I brush past.

02/03/2014 at 15:47

Choisya, yes, that's another one. Plus the frits I mentioned on another thread earlier.

Hates are elder and that stuff OH paints on bikes then hoses off  to clean them.

02/03/2014 at 16:01

Petrol urrrrgggg! 

Like the smell of my jasmine by my door, but is that cheating cos  its the flower not the leaves. But if not honeysuckle

Yes Tracey freshly bathed babies, long time ago now tho

KEF
02/03/2014 at 16:06

Scented perlagonium leaves, can't remember the one in particular to do with rose, atar? ...something like that. I don't grow them anymore as they just seem to shout whitefly here I am.

I don't sniff but enjoy smell of curry plant wafting on a Summer evening also oregano they remind me of walks amongst the wild herbs in Greece.

Nut,  I hate the smell of Elder and Pyracantha in blossom, all I niff is Tom Cat.

Verdon soz but I don't like the smell of Agastache mexicana "Red Fortune" it's making my GH pong.

1 to 20 of 33 messages