Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 32 replies

Mike Allen

Yes the saying of Victor Meldew. I found myself saying the same today.

Here we are in cold wintery December.  Looking out of my sitting room window, what do I see.  Closest, growing through a clump of Holly, lanky branches of sycamore.  So what's strange about that.  Well.  It's only a couple of weeks that saw the fall of the last few leaves.  Now, my eyes are attracted to the very same stems that are host to jucy fat buds almost ready to burst open.  Our natural world is changing in so many ways.  Directly opposite is a stand of Laurus nobilis, Bay.  Each day it is is being invaded by hordes of wood pidgeons all gulping down the berries.  They are now being joined by Black birds.  The closest tree is an Arbutus..strawberry tree.  The birds are leaving this for afters.  Just to the right, the Hollies that were just a couple of weeks ago, displaying masses of colour due to their berries.  Now all berries have gone, thanks to the Redwings and Fieldfairs.  So is it time to recall and wonder about those old folk lores.  Lots of berries, hungary birds.  Long hard winter ahead, add to this climate change.  What say you?

Dovefromabove

Plants can't foretell the weather ... how well they flower and fruit is the result of the weather that has gone before ... that's science. 

Lyn

Correct Dove, Fancy the ‘scientist’ not knowing that!

Dovefromabove

I think he knows that Lyn ... he's just starting a thread that he thinks will ignite 'debate'  .... the thing is we seem to discuss this every winter ... 

nutcutlet
Dovefromabove says:

I think he knows that Lyn ... he's just starting a thread that he thinks will ignite 'debate'  .... the thing is we seem to discuss this every winter ... 

See original post

discussed almost as often as the barbecue summer/worst winter for 40 years 

Advertisement

Hazel --

Or it just may be that Mike is engaging in conversation and wanting to think about other things in his life right now

nutcutlet says:

discussed almost as often as the barbecue summer/worst winter for 40 years 

See original post

Stopped clock principle . They'll be right every now and then

nutcutlet

they will raisingirl 

Dovefromabove
Hazel -- says:

Or it just may be that Mike is engaging in conversation and wanting to think about other things in his life right now

See original post

Mike is very welcome to pop into Hello Forkers for a chat ... 

Hazel --

Dove, Mike is talking about what he is " seeing" during this time of the year and how things have changed. He is asking how we feel about old folklore- would that be picked up in Forkers, I wonder? 

" Good will to all men" - its Christmas!.....as long as debate doesn't go into climate change lol!

Dovefromabove

We chat about all sorts of things in Forkers ......... definitely about how things have changed    .... I think Mike would be more likely to get real conversation with others on the chat threads ... just starting a thread then sitting back seems to be a lonely thing to do when there is so much Goodwill to go around   ...

As you say ... I think we've said all there is to be said about 'climate change' for the time being ... but I don't suppose that'll stop it being said again 

Hazel --

True, Dove, true

Ladybird4

Hello Mike. Compliments of the season to you. I love your post - so descriptive and your references to folk lore. Its a pity not everyone can share the 'goodwill to all men' philosophy.

Last edited: 16 December 2017 11:52:41

Advertisement

Hazel --

Hi LB and all those who look in and ponder the wonder of the changing seasons and their beauty.....despite the cold!

Don't see what's wrong with starting a thread about berries and birds visiting the gardens. Gives us a chance to reminisce about previous years and wonder if there might just be something in those folk lore tales after all

Last year our sorbus didn't have very many berries at all. We also had a mildish winter. This year it's loaded.....we shall see. I think folk lore and science often meet halfway.

It was often old folk lore tales that started old scientists ( ! ) off on their quests to find more rational truths!

Me, I prefer the folk lore.  It may be less accurate but it's a dashed sight more poetic. 

You can't get much more poetic than saying we are made of stardust, or that  bees dance and rats laugh!

Or that the wonder of the plant world is created from water, thin air and sunlight. Or  Particles that are also Waves and can be in all places at the same time but you can only find them if you measure them. All science

Last edited: 16 December 2017 16:09:43

Dovefromabove

Buttercupdays .......... now that really is poetry