London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
11 messages
23/02/2014 at 12:38

this is my first pic upload ,this tree is to be re-positioned for patio etc but i dont know wotitis if u can id it i can do the job properly OR Kate can that is  it looks quite a delicate tree and is only about 2 and a half feet tall but quite a nice pale eucalyptusy colour,cheers alan

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38116.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

23/02/2014 at 12:46

Not sure Alan - looks alarmingly like a salix (willow) of some kind to me, but given that there's some 400 different types .............  

and it might be something else entirely  - it is a bit blurry - any chance of a clearer pic a bit closer up?

But the uploading is brilliant 

23/02/2014 at 12:49

cheers matey uploading might be great now but phone camera begins with cra- but it was leaning out of the window ill get Kate to do a better one and this tree is only 2 feet from the footings,cheers

23/02/2014 at 12:57

I might be wrong Alan - don't panic yet  ............. and don't lean too far out of the window!!!

It's pretty blustery here and has turned cooler - what's it like with you on the coast?

23/02/2014 at 13:05

Hi Alan, I've run it through some free software (Irfanview) and auto-adjusted the colours to try and make it a bit clearer:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38123.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

Could it be an olive?  If not, then I agree with Dove - a willow of some kind.  If you didn't add the support Alan, then it must be something bought in rather than blown-in!

23/02/2014 at 13:08

Olive - there's a thought ...  think I'd pot it up and wait and see what happens 

23/02/2014 at 13:15

Looks a bit like the ornamental pear - Pyrus salicifolius. It's a very pretty small tree - gets to a few metres or so  height and spread but you can prune it. I had one in a previous garden 

23/02/2014 at 13:19

Could be Fg. I don't think it's a willow

23/02/2014 at 13:21

AH NOW THEN the seller said he had an olive in the garden and this is the only one looking like this, so maybe a big pot and see wot happens then thats good advise folks many thanks for that, iv never heard of irfanview Bob looks worth having ,and the weather ere has gone miserable and the heatings just got switched up a bit,roast chicken and a bottle obeer  for dinner, many thanks, Alan

23/02/2014 at 13:26

Well, it's an olive then

That's two of you having roast chicken - and yours is nearest to us Alan ........... Chardonnay, Beaujolais or both? 

23/02/2014 at 14:05

Do not be tempted to put this tree into a very big pot to start with.  Plants dislike being over potted - something big enough to take the roots with some compost around them, it will do well.   You could use the root fungus mycorrhiza too to help the roots develop well.

email image
11 messages