Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 27 replies

Shrinking Violet

If I had a brain I would have known that those tulips which, on the pack, said they were "an unusual colour combination" which looked dull and uninteresting (basically, beige with pinkish beige) would be - mega-boring and - well, beige!

And when I planted another trough with tulips - some cream am some purple, and the cream ones, described as 10" but were actually 15" which dwarfed the purple ones, instead of just moaning about it I should instantly have seen that all I had to do was . . . . . . . . . . .  turn the trough around so the cream ones were at the back!  Simples. (it took me a couple of days to work that one out.  'nuff said!)

And when I said I could manage with a smaller greenhouse because my new garden is a lot smaller than before, I should have known that I would quickly run out of space for seedlings, over-wintered plants etc.

And when I said that, with the new-to-us house with a small garden would be fine - I was self-delusional.

If only I wasn't a scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz, I would have had half a brain and would have known these things.

Please tell me I'm not alone!

Victoria Sponge

The other week I realised I didn't have a full size soil rake. I must have just imagined owning one, how funny...Today I found it hanging on the opposite wall on the shed. Why didn't I just look for it? I was in the shed at the time.

Also today I heated up a bag of onion sets on the hob, melting the plastic bag. The oven had its Spring wipe-down today (I don't really cook) and I must have turned a couple of knobs in errorπŸ€”

My mind must have been on higher matters today

Nothing to do with gardening, but i was trying to send a text message to my OH but couldn't get a signal, so i asked him, what if i call you instead.

Logan4 says:

Nothing to do with gardening, but i was trying to send a text message to my OH but couldn't get a signal, so i asked him, what if i call you instead.

See original post

I think you must be a long lost relative of my missus.  That's the sort of thing she comes out with when trying to work with technology!.

Yes i could be.

Advertisement

Obelixx

Life is too short to text on a mobile phone.  If I want OH to consider/discuss/do/remember something I send an email.

Obelixx says:

Life is too short to text on a mobile phone.  If I want OH to consider/discuss/do/remember something I send an email.

See original post

I can't do that because I'm only connected with wi fi and it doesn't work when I'm out the house.

Obelixx

If I'm out of the house it can wait cos I'm busy either running errands or having fun.

Obelixx says:

If I'm out of the house it can wait cos I'm busy either running errands or having fun.

See original post

I only do it to tell him I'm coming back.

Dovefromabove

No point in trying to communicate with OH by mobile - he won't have it with him 

Clarington

I have to send the message as soon as I think about it as sometimes no matter how important it is I'm the one that will forget.

Technology for me is such a life saver!

Oh Violet, you have just described my life! How do some people manage so well? I think they just pretend they always meant it to be that way. Perhaps we should try it...

Chrissy the gardener

Not to do with gardening but I went to the doctors because I thought the pain relieve patches which I had been prescribed where too strong and asked for a smaller dose, I felt really, really silly when the doctor just said " cut the patch in half " I still feel silly when I think why didn't I think of that.

If only everything was so simple !!

Hostafan1

I think I've only ever sent about 5 text messages in my life, and received about the same.

I'm with Dove's OH. I only ever take my phone when I'm driving at work in case the van phone doesn't have signal and mine does. I couldn't even tell you my number if my life depended upon it.

punkdoc

It takes me so long to type a text message, that meeting that evening is already long gone, before I have sent the message.

I hate mobile phones.

Advertisement

Hostafan1

They're a tool, but some folk seem to have jumped onto the bandwagon that everything they do has to be governed by, and recorded on, their phones.

Don't even start me on "selfies".

Shrinking Violet, You are not the only one my love nor will you be the last. I bought a large Robinson greenhouse when we moved here all those years ago and filled it the first Spring cursing myself for not getting a bigger one. The seed trays got shuffled around and most survived then as I emptied it for the Tomato's it hit me. It was glassed to the last six inches from the ground and quite high, just use the under the bench area and removable shelves up, all the room I needed and  all the benches on the South side plus shelving came out for the tomato's peppers etc; when it was time to plant them. I have a Geum and not knowing put it in the worst place it could have gone in the Garden, nothing, it moved five times before I found its place and it now flowers year on year. That taught me to read the instructions in my RHS books.

AS to technology, laptops iPads phone printer in my office around me, buzz sing and I am sure dance, I grab something, no not that then the next and it is always the last thing I pick up, irate Daughter, where have you been I have rung three times, well sweetheart at my age I hear a noise, have to work it out then answer. I often wonder who has turned the Radio on when it is my phone singing its heart out. I watch my family as they sit clutching their latest many gee gee's phones if they lost them it would be as if they had lost an arm, thumbs worn out by tippy tapping on them I remember when our phone was in a big red box next to the village pond. I have a phone under duress, Dad if anything happened when you are out!!! then forget to take it with me. How did we manage to get through a war and the arid years after without all these modern wonders or as i call them electronic handcuffs, if we are honest they are far more tying than being incarcerated.

Frank.

Kitty 2

Everyone probably has moments when they're functioning on about 30% brainpower

(the other 70% is busy daydreaming about nonsense πŸ˜ΆπŸ’­)

I've put something in the oven to cook, only to return an hour later to discover that I've only turned the dial as far as switching the light on . Stone cold, but perfectly illuminated meal πŸ’‘ πŸ˜†

Dare I mention the fact that I don't have a mobile phone...  Yes I'm quite an oddity in this day and age of constant communication, but perfectly happy to live without one 😁

Last edited: 10 April 2017 11:28:11

Shrinking Violet

Oh, the relief to know that it's not just me, then!  And Kitty, I can sympathise with the oven problem.  I set the oven to pre-heat ready to pop the roasting joint in.  Trouble was, I had turned on the small oven rather than the large one, and the Chicken wouldn't fit!  So, having wasted the electricity, I had to put on the large oven, and timings for dinner were about 20 minutes later than planned.  (You'd think I would have learned from the mistake, but I regret to admit that I've done that a couple of times.

My grandchildren cannot even imagine not being in constant communication.  They think land lines were the dark ages and nothing existed before that.