20 messages
27/11/2013 at 15:42

.., to help you in the garden, what would it be?

I would like to invent a greenhouse that collapsed around itself during bright winter days, and then rebuild itself at night.

And have you invented something to help you in the garden?

27/11/2013 at 17:14

That's a good idea Mark. Have you worked out how it will go yet?

27/11/2013 at 17:20

Becareful, lol someone might pinch your ideas  

KEF
27/11/2013 at 17:21

Not invented anything, but would love a GH that opened it's own door ( my roof window opens) so that in the Summer I'm not nipping down the garden in my summer dressing gown, hoping the neighbours aren't watching from upstairs.

Would also like a machine that washes, dries and puts plant pots away in the shed.

Also ( there might already be one, but I've yet to find it ) a hose pipe that doesn't kink, and is long enough to reach all the way down my garden.  

Lyn
27/11/2013 at 18:14

I would re invent the flymo that collected the grass at the back. I have had one of these for over 30 years, its just popped it clogs and the newer ones collect the grass directly over the motor and blades, making it a very hard slog when it starts to fill.

Kef..you could brush the loose soil off the pots and put them in the dish washer, if you have one.

I have an enormous hose on a reel that doent kink, bought it from Amazon.

Apart from that, any robot that could help would be a good invention, it would do as you ask it, unlike the OH who in his infinate wisdom always seems to know better than me.

27/11/2013 at 18:52

something to stop me slipping down the steps in winter!

27/11/2013 at 19:21

I need a Tardis-type shed for storage - something that will hold all the tools and equipment tidily and in an easily accessible way and take up no space in the garden whatsoever. 

KEF
27/11/2013 at 19:28

Lyn  Will check out hose, do you have a brand name/ supplier ? Thanks.

I could have so much fun with this thread.

The start of the list:

A sensor type laser that detects slugs / snails near my hosta and zap.

A bleeper that detects when neighbour's cats are about to dig in my veg patch

An automated great bird that would scare off the sparrowhawk, who eats my little birds.

Something that would warn me that the meal is burning whilst I'm playing on here...Oh I do have a buzzer on the cooker.

Will give others a chance.  I've loads of things I'd like to invent.

27/11/2013 at 20:17

A gadget that detects vine weevil grubs and zaps em!  

27/11/2013 at 23:09

Great idea, Dove - I'll sign-up for a tardis-shed right now!

How about trowels and secateurs which emit a beep when you click a remote on your key-ring so you can find them in the garden?  I spend ages looking for mine after leaving them somewhere after getting distracted! 

Lyn
28/11/2013 at 00:11

Kef, the hose is 40 mtr, hozelock wall mounted fast reel, got it from amazon

I have been known to take a little kitchen timer in the garden because when you 'just pop out' its usually turns into something more.

Bob, I wrap red insulation tape round the handles of tools, they stand out better, still cant remember where I left them though!.

28/11/2013 at 08:29

When we had the smallholding ex ran his own building firm with quite a few employees - You wouldn't believe the number of times my yard brooms and shovels went missing and were found on the building sites !!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Until I painted them pink ! 

28/11/2013 at 09:01

I have a pink fork and spade and still manage to hide them around the garden, I like Bobs idea but will need everlasting batteries so they never fail.

KEF
28/11/2013 at 09:06

Thank you Lyn.

Tardis shed for me too

28/11/2013 at 09:09
MrsGarden wrote (see)

I have a pink fork and spade and still manage to hide them around the garden, I like Bobs idea but will need everlasting batteries so they never fail.

Install a solar panel webbing into the handle since they're always used outdoors that should keep the batteries topped up nicely!

28/11/2013 at 09:14
Mark 1963 wrote (see)

.., to help you in the garden, what would it be?

I would like to invent a greenhouse that collapsed around itself during bright winter days, and then rebuild itself at night.

And have you invented something to help you in the garden?

You mean an automated version of this?

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/35/6a/c1/356ac1fc8b5cd21ded38cb88f0e53102.jpg

Actually with a few rams working on a Raspberry Pi powered system that triggers with certain pre set temperatures (i.e. so it would open at for example 15'C and closes at 5'C) it wouldn't be all that terribly difficult to do.

My only concern is ensuring the structure is sound enough to cope with wind but that's only a few calculations away...

Lyn
28/11/2013 at 09:28

You can buy those car keys thingys where you clap your hands and it beeps, could be attached to tools maybe, i will check on that.

28/11/2013 at 10:26

Brilliant! Clarington, off to the Patent Office with you, not forget your friends 

28/11/2013 at 11:44

Dove, re pink tools; someone bought me a pink flowered screwdriver as mine were always going missing on building sites; still got the flowered one!

I would like a tiny fork lift machine to lift and carry big sacks of compost, it would have to manage two or three steps also.

28/11/2013 at 12:32
artjak wrote (see)

.... I would like a tiny fork lift machine to lift and carry big sacks of compost, it would have to manage two or three steps also.

That's one of the things I've got OH for! 

email image
20 messages