Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

If you were to buy yourself 3 plants for Christmas...

Lovely idea, but remember that we'll have already got a lot of our favourites. 

Top of my Wish List at the moment are: 

Mahonia 'Buckland"

A pulmonaria with really good silvery leaves (still researching which)

Lots of Alchemilla Mollis to prettify the foot of the Shady Bank. 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Hi Aym, I would buy 2 fruit trees. Damson, Merryweather. Quince, don't know the name. But it would have to be on a dwarf root stock. A blackcurrant bush, Ben serak.image

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I would get myself a fig tree, some asparagus crowns, and a pitcher plant.

My garden is currently an awful mess as the house renovations has put paid to us having anything pretty this year so I won't be asking for plants or seeds this year.But it's nice to dream!

• Salvia 'Hot Lips'. A blue holly, female so we can get berries (I was wondering why we never got any on our lone plant until I read December's GW mag!). A purple artichoke.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Various Clematis

SW Scotland
  • I would love a decent sized cloud pruned conifer, I'm trying to get one growing but it is taking forever.

any Camelias and azaleas, I'm on very alkaline soil and can only grow them in pots.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I am aiming to make my tropical border more jungle like next year, so I would like: a Tetrapanax, a Paulownia and some more Colocasia.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Starting almost from scratch in this new garden so top of the list for the near future are liquidambar, cornus controversa variegata and a prunus serrula but I may swap in some red stemmed cornus alba sibirica for my winter bed or cheat and get all 4.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

For us it would be house plants.  Christmas Cactus and cyclamen for the conservatory because it's that bit cooler, plus jasmine because it's the only scented plant I can cope with in the house.

On the wider subject, there's only one specific garden plant I'm looking for, the snakeskin bark maple.  Hopefully get one next year.

Last edited: 27 November 2016 18:07:37

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

A great post aym, a difficult one for me...a lovely maple/acer for our front garden, hydrangea 'annabelle' and if money wasn't an issue, i have seen a stag made from 'box' i would get this for me hubby ?

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

A protea, a Cox apple tree, clematis Etoile Violete.