Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 67 replies

Do any of you here have instagram? Just got it and wanting to follow like minded people for garden ideas and find new plants. My username is theyorkshiregarden. Follow me or let me know your usernames on here if you have instagram :) 

No thanks, I get all that information from this site. 

pansyface

HA HA.

WOT'S INSTAGRAM?

YOU ARE 27 AND I AM ALMOST THE REVERSE OF THAT.

MANY OF THE LADIES, OR THOSE WHO CALL THEMSELVES LADIES, OR WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE CALLED LADIES, WOULD CLAIM ON THIS FORUM THAT THEY ARE 27 BUT DON'T BELIEVE A WORD THEY SAY.

THEY ARE ALL FANTASISTS.

Well now, I know how to double dig, plant spuds and put rotted horse muck on my Rhubarb but at my age i am unable to dig Instagram what ever it is or what ever you put on it, will custard do it or gravy. Pansyface you do know how to insult our Female members, Gardeners will do nicely no gender that way after all we must be up with the new trend of no Gender conversations. ("eh pet").

Frank.

Advertisement

I don't have Instagram but I do use Pinterest, it's brilliant for inspiration. It really helped me decide what to do with my garden.

Ooh I might sign up for instagram for the same reasons Matt. I'll follow you then. 

I'm 30. When I mention anything about plants to other people my age I just get weird looks. I can talk to older people about gardening all day long :D

pansyface

TGG, WE ONLY TALK ABOUT IT ALL DAY LONG BECAUSE OUR SHORT TERM MEMORY IS SHOT TO BITS.

Pansyface, At my age you talk about it to anyone who will listen to rest your aching back after doing it and not talking about it !!! Right, now what was I talking about??

Pinterest??? what on earth? However did we old stagers ever feed our families from the garden without all these magic roundabouts.

My Computer back then was Dad, dig t'ground ower in't Autumn lad, let winter and twerms do their bit, Sow and plant in't  Spring then eat fresh al't year round. He was right.

OK now I will getten me Ganzi and go hoover the Astro Turf and wash the plastic flower bed?

Frank.

Palaisglide says:

Pansyface, At my age you talk about it to anyone who will listen to rest your aching back after doing it and not talking about it !!! Right, now what was I talking about??

Pinterest??? what on earth? However did we old stagers ever feed our families from the garden without all these magic roundabouts.

My Computer back then was Dad, dig t'ground ower in't Autumn lad, let winter and twerms do their bit, Sow and plant in't  Spring then eat fresh al't year round. He was right.

OK now I will getten me Ganzi and go hoover the Astro Turf and wash the plastic flower bed?

Frank.

See original post

It's different now though because people don't always have someone to ask! I think the internet is great for getting help and advice with things. 

Pinterest is also useful to keep track of what plants you have with pictures. I have a board with a picture of every plant in my garden and it's name. If I wrote them all down I'd just lose the paper!

Hostafan1

I use neither pinterest, nor instagram, however, I see no reason to be rude to those who do. 

OP seems to be a recent poster and I'd hate him to think that we're all rude and unwelcoming as some post might suggest. 

I have no interest in , nor love of pets, so I avoid threads talking about them. If instagram is NOT your thing, why not just ignore it,and threads relating to it? rather than be rude to those who take a different point of view?

nutcutlet

I don't understand why people are so anti this and that.I don't do Pinterest, because you can't do everything but if it suits, why not.

I'm a member of a number of Facebook groups. Much anti Facebook stuff here as well. All these things are what you make them. They can be shallow drivel or in-depth study. Just like this forum 

Hostafan1

I concur, as ever, with nutcutlet.

Mattwestyorks. Please don't think us all rude. 

TomCranham
TinyGardenGIrl says:

Ooh I might sign up for instagram for the same reasons Matt. I'll follow you then. 

I'm 30. When I mention anything about plants to other people my age I just get weird looks. I can talk to older people about gardening all day long :D

See original post

I'm at the grand old age of 30 too and i get the same looks from a lot of people. Especially at the Alpine Garden Society show at Chesterfield last weekend, but i don't mind, i'm doing what i enjoy :) luckily i have a few friends to talk gardening to (one is a gardener at Chatsworth House!).

And i think instagram is a great tool. I get tips and inspiration, seeing lots of new plants i've never heard of and plants that i already have are shown in a new light!

Advertisement

pansyface

I DON'T SEE ANYTHING THAT I SAID WAS RUDE BUT NOBODY HAS EXPLAINED TO ME YET WHAT INSTAGRAM IS.

Dovefromabove

Think the rude post has been removed. 

pansyface

OH. RIGHT.

AND WHAT'S INSTAGRAM?

Autumnglory, Yes  and I have done the same all my long life, I had a stack of yearly diaries all written up on the plants I grew and how they progressed or did not, whatever the case may be. Then I ended up in hospital, the family took the opportunity to put in a new bathroom for me and cleared the garage, all my Diaries went in the bin, years of history.

At my age able to manage my iPad Apple MacBook printer and phone is about it, face book Instagram and the other thing mentioned are beyond me, and of course I cannot understand why any one would put their lives on an electronic gadget with no control over views it will get, you read about it every day where thousands have been hacked, why would you put yourself in that position.

No insults were given or meant, I just do not know what those things are, my knowledge came from Dad, Books and experience as to what works in our area, things can be very different from you just ten miles away so it is important to know your own garden. What works for you will not always work for others.

Frank.

Last edited: 13 April 2017 09:43:49

Dovefromabove
pansyface says:

OH. RIGHT.

AND WHAT'S INSTAGRAM?

See original post

I don't use it myself, although I might in the future ... certainly several people I know find it useful.

Wiki explains it thus

"... Instagram is a mobile photo-sharing application and service that allows users to share pictures and videos either publicly or privately on the service, as well as through a variety of other social networking platforms, such as FacebookTwitterTumblr, and Flickr."