Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

My Daughter in California tells me the Trump Administration has pulled the plug on any more money being spent on Global warming projects. It would appear the USA has been spending money on low, prone to flooding lands in South Asia, that will stop. She also tells me California has had a colder wetter winter than she ever remembers, more water fell this winter than in the last ten years, they were on a form of water rationing for a couple of years now they have full reservoirs. The East Coast have been hit with a massive snow storms. and also had heavy rain falls.

Meanwhile here in the North East of England the coastline is disappearing under a wall of wind turbines and another contract has just been signed. We can see for ourselves that in  the very cold still air between weather fronts they are not working and then in the high winds again have to be shut down, they are OK in summer when we have mild winds and it is warm in other words not needed.

Wilton they are building new Power Stations burning wood chips from Canada, shipped to our docks then transported to Wilton, last week an article was claiming wood burning fires are worse than burning coal for the amount of carbon and particles they release into the air.

We are told we must (MUST) go organic yet I know from experience this is not the best way of producing enough food, it takes up more land and is more costly to City dwellers who rely of Supermarkets, OK for us with access to the local farm shops and can afford the extra cost, The UK has never produced all its own food, I have just eaten my porridge with berries from Spain and Chile.

My question is:- why should the little old UK be paying for something the rest of the world seems to ignore, Germany closing Nuclear and going back to Coal, China? well we have all seen the pictures, India and South Asia putting millions of trucks and cars on the road year by year. Then we have Famine in Africa once the bread basket of the world, that tears me up Children dying whilst we potter along under the Halo of feeling Green, it is an illusion or is it.

Frank.

Hortum-cretae

Hmm. Don't quite know how to respond to that, except to say that I suppose we're all doing our little bit, hoping it might slowly combine with others' efforts, while we wait for everyone to pull together. Far Eastern countries seem to do their own thing, regardless of the effect it might have on the world's resources. I cannot agree with the Trump measures, although a GOOD business brain could work to lead a country. Anyone who conducts his negotiations on Twitter and stoops to petty insults and accusations via that medium can surely only be a 'twit'.  Back to what we can do - just keep plodding on. I'm no crusader, I'm afraid, just preach at my local level on tiny measures to encourage, support and preserve wildlife,teaching people about it as I go, with walks, talks, and, hopefully, advice which is sympathetc to the needs of the countryside

H-C

Last edited: 19 March 2017 10:44:57

Palaisglide says:

My question is:- why should the little old UK be paying for something the rest of the world seems to ignore, 

See original post

There are many answers to that question, to do with ethics, setting an example, the morality of waste, but if you want to narrow it down just to economics:

Let's say you're a 40 a day smoker and you're not a tobacco farmer. It costs you quite a lot of money to buy your cigs, even if you disregard the health impacts it has (or if you don't believe them).

You can carry on smoking because you like being a smoker, it makes you feel good. This leaves you at the mercy of the tobacco farmers if they chose to raise prices, or your own government if they decide to impose taxes on your habit. Who's to say how expensive smoking is going to become - maybe one day when you can no longer afford to pay the mortgage you'll give up then. But for now you don't see why you should stop just because some nanny state government says it's bad for you. And all your mates smoke. Yes OK they are richer than you and they can afford it more easily, but you'd feel like a sissy if you stopped and they'd all point and laugh.

You can try to face up to your addiction and buy nicotine patches or e-cigs and try to cut down gradually. They cost a lot, have drawbacks of their own and there is plenty of debate about whether they actually help you quit, or just increase your appetite for a different consumable - so someone is still making money out of you. But it may be less uncomfortable than the third option.

Which is to go cold turkey, which is painful, miserable and you probably have a few unsuccessful attempts before you quit, so it's a long drawn out process. It's not like you can just decide one day not to smoke and there's an end to it. But having gone through the process, at the end you've kicked the habit and now you have more money to spend on things you want to buy, you feel better in yourself. You haven't changed the world, all your friends still smoke. But at least the tobacco farmers can put their prices up as much as they want and you just don't care.

Replace cigarettes with oil and gas, tobacco farmers with OPEC, your richer friends with China and the US, nicotine patches with wind turbines and e cigs with gas turbines and chose your preferred path.

Little old UK is not self sufficient in oil, or anywhere close (we import about half of what we use). China and the US have much greater 'home' reserves. Even so, China is switching to renewable generation very fast, compared with other nations. They have recognised the advantage of being beholden to no one - especially not to Russian oil and gas (as we are). We spend a great deal of money importing oil and gas to support our power grid. Subsidies alone to the fossil fuel generators currently stand at about £25billion annually - money we could spend on other priorities if we could kick the habit - let alone the amount we as consumers are paying on top of that.

It just costs too much and is only going to get more expensive as the world population increases and resources are fought over. So why not get off the bus now?

pansyface

ANY AMOUNT OF DOOM AND GLOOM TO BE FOUND IN THE WONDERFUL, MEASURED, FACTUAL AND UNHYSTERICAL "SIBERIAN TIMES". FOR EXAMPLE

http://siberiantimes.com/ecology/opinion/features/f0099-new-warning-about-climate-change-linked-to-peat-bogs/

PERMAFROST MELTING FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE END OF THE LAST ICE AGE.

YES, WE ARE CRAPPING IN OUR OWN BEDS. YES,  BIG BUSINESS WILL HAVE ITS WAY. YES, WE ARE ALL WALKING TO OBLIVION. IT'S A FACT. 

GLAD I DECIDED AT THE AGE OF 15 NOT TO HAVE ANY KIDS. SAW IT COMING EVEN IN THE SIXTIES.

EVOLUTION MAKES CHANGES. ASK THE DINOSAURS.

pansyface

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF "PROGRESS".

https://m.yourstory.com/2016/04/maharashtra-drought-feature/

YOU HAVE A SMALL VILLAGE SUCCESSFULLY CONSERVING AND USING WATER FOR AGRICULTURE.

YOU HAVE A SIMILAR THING BUT ONE THAT INVOLVES BIG BUSINESS - YOU END UP WITH POLITICIANS, CORRUPTION, MISAPPROPRIATION OF ASSETS, ILLOGICAL SCHEMES AND ULTIMATELY DROUGHT AND DISASTER.

Advertisement

Lyn

And there bugger all we can do about it. unfortunately. 

jeninkent

You're right, Palaisglide. Look at the warmists' fundamental argument: carbon dioxide is effectively polluting the atmosphere. All you need is two neurons and a working synapse to see what nonsense that is.

Follow the money.

Interesting. I do not see the world ending anytime soon. I do see pictures of Children with distended stomachs stick thin arms obviously starving needing medical aid clean water food and medicine, living in tents in a Desert I personally know can drop below freezing at night. I saw that kind of thing so many years ago, villages with no sanitation, no fresh water, no doctors or electricity, children so ill you knew they would be dead before you had finished searching for hidden arms, I thought then this is wrong it must get better. It never has, year on year it gets worse as people start wars populations move because of those wars and worse the war only adds to the so called Global warming as the infrastructure breaks down.

We in our cosy little country where poverty is not having a 50" TV or all singing all dancing mobile phone potter on with efforts to save a world that is going to h@@@ on a handcart. We should be using our riches on bringing up the standards for those people to whom starvation is real and deadly. It seems to me we are selfishly thinking about our selves and a future which will change more rapidly than we could possibly know, for better or worse? who knows, it depends on whether we get our act together and do something about the biggest problems feeding those who cannot feed themselves.

Frank

PS I am off for lunch, there will be more on my plate than some children see in a month.

Hortum-cretae

And therein lies the crux of the matter . . .

H-C

pansyface

THE YOUNG MEN WITH THE KALASHNIKOVS ARE NEVER STICK THIN THOUGH.....

Palaisglide says:

Meanwhile here in the North East of England the coastline is disappearing under a wall of wind turbines and another contract has just been signed. We can see for ourselves that in  the very cold still air between weather fronts they are not working and then in the high winds again have to be shut down, they are OK in summer when we have mild winds and it is warm in other words not needed.

See original post

What you describe is the huge major problem with wind turbines, but one which the alternative energy zealots refuse to acknowledge.  The time we need electricity most is in extended cold spells in winter.  These are caused in the main by large areas of high pressure sitting over the country, and large high pressure areas mean low, to no, wind and therefore little to no electricity production from wind turbines.

There are really probably only two truly reliable and sustainable forms of 'alternative energy', hydro and wave/tide.  Those are the areas on which money should be spent to get the best bang per buck in the long term.