London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
81 to 100 of 247 messages
08/06/2012 at 19:05

Hi All! Quiet on here tonight! all must be busy!! Welcome Tazman! If ya click the tree picture at the top of ya box, t will prompt ya!  That said! For a first time it may not be that easy!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8527.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

08/06/2012 at 19:56

Blowing a hooli here on the Wirral. What a day for our Robins to fledge!  They are sheltering at the bottom of the garden by a wall under a canopy of helibour leaves being fed by mum and dad. Hope survive this awful storm

08/06/2012 at 20:18

well it's done nothing but rain here too i have been out in garden all day clearing up after last night's storm my back garden was under water so had me wellies and me raincoat on and put in a new drainage pipe to try divert the run off from the fields .

tomorrow i will pressure wash all the mud of my patio and hope my plants survive .most are hardy perenialls so should be ok my roses are so wet there on the floor same for the clematis flowers ruined .

oh well it is britain the sun will come out and all will be well

08/06/2012 at 21:52

Fed up with this wind.   Honeysuckle getting blown all over the place and pots keep blowing over.

08/06/2012 at 21:54

I haven't been out to the garden for a week to survey the damage or do any repairs - I have been suffering from vertigo.  Don't know what caused it, or how long it will last, but I'm fed up with feeling so helpless .   Hubby has been watering the greenhouse and keeping an eye on things.  He tells me that there are pods on the peas - woo-hoo!  I haven't grown peas before, so chuffed!

I can see some damage to a verigated something or other, I really don't know what it is.  I inherited it from the previous owner - one of the only things we kept.

Loving the pics everyone!

08/06/2012 at 21:56

Isn't it just crazy weather?

I haven't done any gardening for the last two days except to bring my tender plants in at night. Other years would have had them in the ground by now but frankly I don't trust the nighttime temps at all! Luckily my garden doesn't suffer from water-logging but the wind damage is shocking. Aquilegias are ripped to shreds, flowering Parsley is flattened, pots upturned, Roses are shedding petals as fast as they open and my Oriental Poppy clump is a mess! On the good side, my self sown seedlings and the wild flowers that I let grow are having a great time. and I haven't had to cart the watering can to the end of the garden several times an evening although I really enjoy this job when the evening is gorgeous!

I hope Lilylouise's garden is not suffering with all this terrible weather! I don't think its long before her big show? Good luck with that.

@Tazman, make sure your file size is web appropriate, which can be done through Window's Office, Picture manager or photo-bucket. If you use the former as I do, open your file using this software and go to the edit function, there is a pre-select Web, Large which is ideal. 

Look forward to seeing your hard work. And best of luck to everyone else battening down their hatches. 

09/06/2012 at 16:06

Hello,all-looks like a decent day here--sorry to hear about your rotten weather. Here the most discouraging thing is the caterpillar plague--it has destroyed many of my friend's gardens, and I am out patrolling and killing them several times a day.

It's a shame when these things happen--quite discouraging, but this too will pass.

09/06/2012 at 18:53

I've managed to do a bit of potting up today between deluges. Really frustrating as I can see blue sky from my front window, but it's p*$$*ng it down over my house. Veg patch once again looks like a swimming pool just as beetroots were getting to a decent size 

09/06/2012 at 20:56

You were lucky to have beetroots.  All of mine were completely eaten by snails (along with the lettuce, carrots, radishes and peas).

The wind snapped two branches off one of my rose bushes but luckily not the same bush that suffered before.  I have a lovely red rose which, on previous windy days, had lost all of its branches.  It has put up two new stems which miraculously managed to survive the latest onslaught.

09/06/2012 at 20:59

There is a nice pink sunset happening here at the moment, although the forecast is rain for tomorrow.  I will choose to believe in the sunset and ignore the Beeb weather report.

09/06/2012 at 21:19

Sorry about your Roses and Veg KG, the recent wind has been ghastly and my Beets are only just hanging in there with the SS and bird damage!. So are my french beans putting on new shoots since their main stems are irreparably wind damaged.

I took a wonder in my garden earlier this evening after an absence of a few days. I was apprehensive as to what damage has been done, luckily its nothing that can't be written down to experience. Some of my Roses have been battered too, splaying out or flopping branches on the ground whilst my lovely big Eryngium is only just hanging in their despite twiggy support front and back and it never fails to surprise me how dry pots get even in these downpours, some were gasping.

The dishevelment is an eyesore but lesson learned, I think I need to invest in some early support next year, its far less hassle to anticipate the ravages of wind and storm before plants start growing than try to rectify the ugly mess afterwards.

The bees were out in force on my Photinia Davidii tonight, which was nice to see along with some perennials making enormous efforts to spread/grow/take over the world and bursting with promise for July flowers. Got to keep on top of the SS though, seems its a good year for these critters who are attacking my Kniphofia after shredding my Lilies. Good job I know their game plan or I'd be missing these tasty treats to come!

10/06/2012 at 09:47

Slightly overcast with sunny intervals up here in West Yorkshire this morning, as yet no rain! Hooray!!!!! Sorry to hear about your disappointing exploits guy's! n not wanting to sound coy! but I think the only setback we have had up to press this season was the pigeons having a go at our coli's because I decided to down tools after planting n said I would net them the following day. WRONG! Lesson learn't! But now netted, we,ll see how we go. 

With almost everything sown n planted out, apart from carrots which I shall be doing today, we donated all our surplus to the allotment association, whom are having their plant sale today, so shall be taking a wonder down there shortly to see if any bargains can be bagged!

And next week off work! So shall be having a full week of pottering!!! Lovely!!

10/06/2012 at 17:11

Overcast here today, and for the foreseeable future. The ceanothus is in full bloom,and humming with bees.Enjoying fresh salad from the garden,and finished the railings on one side of the deck yesterday.The war on tent caterpillars continues.

I read that the local strawberry crop is about 3 weeks behind, due to the cold and rainy spring. My potted ones are plumping up nicely--can't wait!

10/06/2012 at 17:44

Inka! How strange you should say that! My strawberries this year have been very poor!  I brought my potted runners undercover in early spring, hoping to get an head start! But nothing! Even had a few fail which I have never had before! So took the plunge, n planted out a bed of the few I had remaining, if not for fruit, but the chance of a few runners for next season!!!! 

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8611.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

10/06/2012 at 18:14

I have 2 lots-one is June-bearing, the other everbearing. On new plants I cut off the runners the first year, then allow some to root between the rows the second year. Third year I pull out the original plants.

10/06/2012 at 18:29

A few weeks back!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8615.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8617.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

Today!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8618.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8619.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

10/06/2012 at 18:34

Inka! Think I may take you up on that Idea next season! 

10/06/2012 at 18:43

Looking good, Dean.

10/06/2012 at 20:09

Wow Dean! Good work.

10/06/2012 at 21:15

horrendously windy here but other than the eremurus no damage-the snow we had on tuesday morning took out the ipomoeia-a last storm in the first week of june seems to have become a reno tradition. how beautiful our gardens are.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8639.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

81 to 100 of 247 messages