1 to 20 of 25 messages
AWB
23/04/2014 at 07:55

I am outraged to see that Kew Gardens are to axe up to 125 jobs to save £5,000,000 pa.

what a short sighted and damaging course of action.

Kew is renowned worldwide, both for its research and the pleasure it gives to millions.

lets put it in perspective, the sum involved is less than some bankers annual salary, a premier league footballer, Tony and Cherie Blairs earnings on the lecture circuit.

Lets make sure our views ars listened to.

23/04/2014 at 13:47
23/04/2014 at 14:02

What a shame these much beloved footballers of ours wont accept a lower living wage or donate some of that excessive cash to keeping worth while "projects" like KEW going.

A bit like adopting a panda at the zoo. Only the footballer gets to adopt a gardener and pay their wages. I'm sure the staff wouldn't mind sending out cuddly toys and regular photograph / updates out if it meant they could keep their jobs.

AWB
23/04/2014 at 17:27

petition signed, our leaders actions are beyond me sometimes.

23/04/2014 at 17:49
I have signed the petition. Politicians only think in the short term (the next election).
23/04/2014 at 17:51

I've signed as well. 

23/04/2014 at 17:52

Up the revolution!!! 

I've signed.

23/04/2014 at 18:19

signed

23/04/2014 at 22:23

petition signed

23/04/2014 at 22:32

Me too

23/04/2014 at 22:34

I've tried several times to sign.  Each time I get an error message.  Might be, my computer is running very slow.

23/04/2014 at 22:39

I've signed

23/04/2014 at 22:52

Me too

23/04/2014 at 23:04

C'mon mateys.  Help this old beggar out.  I fill in the details, Name.  Address.  Email. etc.  Then I add my comment.  Then click Sign. The screen then indicates, Signing.  Then the error message.

I wonder.  Would it be down to my computer.  Would it be possible for a good friend on the forum, to submit my whatever.  I am prepared to give my details via a private message.

Any offers.?

23/04/2014 at 23:09

I'll do it Mike

If I've gone to sleep my the time I get your details I do it in the morning

23/04/2014 at 23:19

As it states Kew gardens are part of Wakehurst Place in Sussex, which is owned by the National Trust. Since 10th of April this year they are now charging £2 an hour to park there, even if you are NT members this they said was because they were just under £2million in debt, at Wakehurst.

Have tried to read the information but half is missing when I click on it.

23/04/2014 at 23:26

Thanks Nut. Much obliged.   Actually as you can guess, I don't mind who knows my details etc.  Message on it's way.

23/04/2014 at 23:29

I don't mind who knows my details either Mike, I just like to know who does

23/04/2014 at 23:46

Star gaze Lily. I am aware that many such sites gardens etc, have certain entry benefits afforded them.  For instance National Trust membership.  Being a member of RBG Kew.  I always was of the opinion that Wakehurst Place was actually a branch of Kew.  At the end of the day, honestly, no problem.  Naturally I am upset by the Minister's proposals regarding cuts to Kew.  I am a frequent visitor for study purposes mainly.  However, when entering the gate at Kew.  Especially during school hols time.  I see folks dishing out the pounds for entry.  I stand corrected.  I believe the present entry fee at Kew is around £16.00 per adult.  Kids upto 16 go free.  Even so. That is a lot to fork out.  Especially when so many just wish to visit the parkland area for the day.  On top of that.  Grab a cuppa and a bite to eat.  Wowee, the huble tea bag is a tiny goldmine.  Back to Wakehurst.  Thankfully I just flash my pass, but I would suspect a similar admission cost for others. So taking everything into account.  It is well worthwhile for folks to join and become supporters of Kew.  Every little helps.  On the other hand.  Mike is non committed to politics.  Nevertheless.  BRG Kew etc is not simply a park, a place of rest and relaxation.  It is hailed with great majesty around the world as, the Mother of horticulture, science, and general ecololgy and biodiversity.  Let's face it.  The whole ethos here is.  This bears Royal Appointment.  In respect.  It is one of Britains greatest and most valuable assets that can be offered to the world.  Perhaps here and there, some thinning down on expenditure within the organisation, but.  The state has got to take a greater responsibility here. The Stae in this instance is represented by.  HM Government.

24/04/2014 at 00:02

Actually, Wakehurst Place is £1.4m in deficit and it takes £2.2m to run it.  The reason why it's in deficit is because under the arrangement for leasing the grounds, and later the house at Kew, any National Trust members visiting could get into it for free.  80% of people who visit Wakehurst Place are National Trust members so the only income it derives is from the fee paying 20% non members and from the shop and restaurant.  A discussion on charging entry for NT members went down like a lead ballon, but a compromise was that NT members could pay a £2 car parking charge.  The alternative was that they had to cut back on horticulture and that was deemed unacceptable. There was some research done on car parking fees and this was considered the best option, although it has been opposed by some NT members.  Unfortunately, you can't please all of the people all of the time.  The alternative is to increase NT membership fees for all members but that has a negative effect as no doubt for every £1 fees go up, you lose another 1,000 members (that's just a guess, but you get my drift). 

1 to 20 of 25 messages