Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Labrador rescues

My wife does voluntary work for a charity that re-homes unwanted labradors, so I thought id post a few photos of the labradors we've helped over the last few months. We home them temporarily until a permanent or foster home is arranged. All were found loving homes.

Heres Rosie, neglected and made to live outside, cuts to her neck and absolutely covered in fleas. She was 7 yrs old and the vet said she'd had many many litters, A beautiful, trusting  and friendly dog, despite her previous treatment

Oakley was unwanted, a nervous dog that took a while to trust you, but then became your best friend...

Murphy, what an absolute beauty, and only a year old I have no idea why he became unwanted but I fell in love with him immediately...

Bailey, a loving 2 yr old lab who spent most of her life in a small hallway whilst her owners were at work. Friendly and playful...

All beautiful dogs, extremely friendly and trusting despite their background. Thankfully all now with their new homes.

Last edited: 28 June 2016 21:32:57

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Such lovely photos and such good work you're doing.

Both our dogs are rescues and the Lab is still nervous and fearful of anything or anyone new despite being with us 4 years now and going walkies every day.   He spent the first 3 years of his life cooped up in a terrace house and never going out so his first walk with us was a bit too exciting - he met tractors, cars, horses, cows, goats, sheep and, heaven forfend, other people walking their dogs.  

Didn't know about sniffing or marking and peed like a girl.   Now he does things properly and enjoys nothing better than a good long run across the fields - unless its his dinner.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496

Thanks everyone.

I can't edit my original post but we still have Bailey with us as she's not ready to be rehomed yet until she's finished a course of vet injections. She's a lovely dog, her only fault is wanting to be with you constantly, go upstairs and she follows you, if she can't she gets a bit anxious. Probably due to previously being left alone all day in a tiny porch/hallway?

We also need to work on her recall when out off the lead, She does return to us but gets distracted by smells etc. I think she's just so excited to be finally walking free she doesn't know what to do. She's only 2 yrs old so not too late for further training. She will make a lovely pet for the right person.

Last edited: 29 June 2016 00:13:29

• What a wonderful job you are doing , reading your post bought tears to my eyes and I do worry about all the pets that are being missed treated and not disscovered yet. WELL DONE ?

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi  leadfarmer  looking at pic almost got tears in eyes there is a word for people like that but cannot say or I might get barred of as a 73yrs old I must have had about 8 dogs in my time and I was a field sports mantill ill health stopped but   fair play to   good man your are   Michael image

• Missy KrissyMissy Krissy Posts: 249

What beautiful dogs and what an awesome family you are!  We also did the same with a Lab rescue charity in South Africa - these doggies would have been destroyed without dedicated people to take them in, showering them with love and show them what being apart of a family is all about.  I take my hat off to anyone that does this I really do! When we moved back to the UK the first thing we did was rescue our beloved Tilly, she has come over from Greece. Breaks my heart that there are so, so many dogs around the world that need rescuing. 

Can I just ask the charity that your wife works for and if you know if they are looking for foster families?! 

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

I will never understand how people can mistreat animals, but these dogs are some of the lucky ones that find wonderful people like you and your wife and get the chance of a new life!   I take my hat off to you both!   Fostering dogs would not be for me, I would want to keep them all.  Best of luck to you, Mrs Farmer and your furry family image

• Well done for being temporary foster parents to those lovely hounds. Rescue dogs are the absolute best. I can barely understand why anyone would get a pedigree instead. 

Our own rescue mutt :

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

gff take a trawl through the companions thread for a rogues gallery of genuine mixed up thoroughbred mutts and assorted others. It'll make you smile. Big Murphy makes an appearance there too.

• Oh yes PP I've already seen and posted on that one too. Sorry, just any excuse to post pics of my little girl, i love her sooo much! image