London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 5°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
08/12/2013 at 14:28

Afternoon All

Thought I'd ask a general query to see how folk around the UK managed in last weeks storm.

I lost part of a sliver birch and the winter pansies and viola's took a beating due to the quick Artic blast and snow covering. I'm waiting for everything to dry our a bit, then I'll give them all a 'Chelsea Chop'. Not sure if I'll get my display make for the rest of the winter, but they might come good again in spring.

On a plus side, the buddleia buzz cuttings survived the first winter attack and all's well with the overwintering pelargonium in the cold GH.

How's everyone else? 

08/12/2013 at 14:46

sticks all over the garden but nothing serious.  The wind was frightening at times but nothing big fell over and all buildings are intact.

I fear those on the east coast have had a rough ride.  Some devastating wind and tides there 

08/12/2013 at 15:08

Here in central Norfolk we've been fine - 10 minutes gathering up empty plastic pots was the worst of it.  My family members in 4 communities on the Suffolk coast have felt the impact - elderly parents in a care home on the Suffolk coast have been cared for by staff who stayed overnight and worked double and treble shifts because the small town has been cut off by floods - people living nearer the harbour were evacuated. 

Son and daughter in law in another small community a mile inland were also cut off for a while by floodwater, but no damage done.

We sometimes moan about the weather forecasting, but when we compare what happened last week with what happened in 1953 we should be grateful that we were forewarned and prepared. 

My daughter's mother in law in Ipswich was fine, although the roads and waterfront near her home were flooded.

My brother is a farmer - large areas of land that he farms have been inundated with salt water making it infertile for some years to come.  He is a big farmer and will survive this, but it may well have an impact on local employment and the price of vegetables in the shops in the future.

08/12/2013 at 15:23

Hi Dove, glad to hear everyone OK. I know Norfolk well and it can get really rough at times. Aberdeenshire in general had its far share of downed trees. You had to keep your wits about you driving in the dark, as there could have been a downed tree around the next bend.

Right here on the North-East of Scotland coast we thought we were going to get more snow than we did, just a few cm.

Very calm and mid today, it's been raining on and off. Hopefully we'll see some sun next week and dry out the garden.

08/12/2013 at 15:27

The north coast of Norfolk has suffered badly, with Cromer pier being damaged and 5 homes and a lifeboat station being lost at Hemsby.  There are also concerns that a lot of seal pups may have been lost along near Blakeney and Wells.  

08/12/2013 at 15:52

I can remember seeing the aftermath of the 53 floods from the train going to Hunstanton. A long way inland, acres of dead looking land with no crops.

I was too young to appreciate how awful it was for those involved. I didn't know about the loss of life and livelihood til later

08/12/2013 at 16:34

nothing down this end in  the west. I visited Hunstanton  in the summer a lovely beach and I can see how Norfolk can flood so easily.

08/12/2013 at 18:04

Down here we didn't even get it windy.  Such a small Island but with such a variation of climate and micro climate.  

Feel for those badly affected though.  

We get our share of storms so ...........

09/12/2013 at 08:55

Sheffield had its share of trees and lorries (and in our case the office false ceiling) going over but it was nothing like those around the coast and higher up. A friend in Loughborough had a tree go through the house and my mother in South Leicestershire had to evacuate a garden centre as the roof collapsed. It seems very little of the country was affected in some way or another.

If any of you were lacking in leaves this weekend to sweep up they're all in our garden! I've near filled the wheelie bin (three compost bins are already full).

If anyone hears of ways to donate to residents / organisations badly affected by the recent weather please let me know. I realise its nothing like the Philippines have suffered but it would be nice to know there was still a bit of charity good will in those that are able to help our own country after managing to donate such an amazing amount for others.

22/12/2013 at 11:31

3 fence panels blew down and 3 weeks later waiting for the man to come back and finish them..garden ruined by rubble, also 2 massive dogs from next door getting in and leaving the biggest poos you've ever seen. painted the new fence panels, and my little westie managed to sit in green paint, even tho id put plastic everywhere.so not great.

also the man doing the fences is my brother in law making it very awkard all around but I cant say anything as he is not charging for the labour.cant wait for it to be finished so I can put my wellies on and start the tidy up.

22/12/2013 at 14:48

Don't get me started on dog owners Claire - five times over a period of ten days or so. I know who it is as well.... 

I sympathise hugely re the fence panels. If I was near you I'd come round and do them for you! My old bit of temporary fence and old rotten gate came down during the bad weather a few weeks ago so I've been doing running repairs ever since, but my new boundary fence is rock solid thank goodness! The weakest point was the galvanised latch on the new side gate which snapped in two   

28/12/2013 at 18:34

I can sympathise with all those really hard hit areas.  Here in my part of the SW, the wind has probably been the worst feature.  Fences, trees have all suffered but not to the extent I had been expecting. 

Having only been in UK since winter 2011, after a break of 10 years, the weather patterns are so different - I seem to have lost the plot somehow.

Trying to establish a decent garden from one severely neglected is certainly giving me food for thought.

Very little frost so far (and no snow thank goodness ) but then Jan and Feb loom so I guess I'm not out of the woods yet.

29/12/2013 at 09:58
I had a beautiful choysia sun dance that was about6ft tall and in front of
A fence. The wind broke it at the base of the plant.
I have cut back hard and hoping it will revive, still
Sad though as it was a lovely plant. All I can see now is a
Boring fence. On the plus side the neighbours conifers
Have come down bring lots more light into my garden.
Every cloud has a silver lining!
29/12/2013 at 13:36

No real problems here (Gloucester). I've seen a few TV aerials hanging on roofs but the only problem I've had is the loss of about 3' of gutter from above a bay window.  It must be awful for those who have been hit by the storms, floods and loss of electricity.

That said, I have little time for those like the woman who got herself on radio and TV to complain about repairmen leaving the job when weather conditions made it too dangerous for them to work.  She then went on to moan that the electric company lied to her about work being done because "The line outside my house is down and nobody has done anything about that".  Doesn't the self-centred, stupid woman realise that she isn't the only person in that situation?

29/12/2013 at 16:47

The only problem I've had here in the Fens is not sleeping for 2 nights when the gales were howling around the house. In the morning I expected to find a scene of devastation; one bucket had rolled around the garden, and that was all.

I feel so so sorry for people who have been affected by floods, or had their chimneys blown down, my heart goes out to them.

29/12/2013 at 16:52

You need earplugs artjak. I'm never without them on rough nights

29/12/2013 at 17:00

Nut; I was waiting for the sound of the conservatory roof blowing away or the chimney falling down!

29/12/2013 at 17:04

Best not to hear it. There's nothing you can do

But I don't sleep in the room under chimney when it's really bad. 

I still don't sleep much though

30/12/2013 at 19:00

nut

01/01/2014 at 19:40

I'm in the North West (Cheshire) and quite high above sea level.  Although we didn't get any flooding in the area everywhere was quite saturated and the wind has taken its toll.

I have a wooden cold frame which has been lifted up twice by the wind and twisted causing damage to the frame.  Has anybody any suggestions on how I could secure this to the ground ?.  There is no flooring on the bottom of the frame.  I have tried putting stones on the selves to help weigh it down but we have had strong winds! 

1 to 20 of 24 messages