Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lawned - is it a word

Having a debate with a work colleague. I say that lawned doesn't exist as a word and we should remove it from our quote descriptions, yet he say's it is a word and it is used widely across the web.

Any thoughts on this as its a him against me at he moment.

Tommy

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

A quick web search shows from the Collins Dictionary:

lawned (??l????nd)  Definitions adjective having a lawn

So one would assume it is a word if it is in the dictionary. Adding to that if it is common use, it is a word whether it is in the dictionary or not, that is how language develops, innit. imageimage

• Tommy83Tommy83 Posts: 8

Collins does say that it is a word but doesn't give you any usage examples, which i would take as not being a word used in written language as you would say 'lawn areas' not 'lawned areas'

It just doesn't work as a word in any context.

It makes sense to me, a lawned garden would be one having a lawn as the dictionary states. A lawn garden doesn't quite sound right.

Lawn areas, is to me specific areas of lawn, lawned areas would suggest to me having lawns but perhaps not just discussing the lawn itself.

I do see what you mean about it though.

• I'm not playing you at scrabble!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's a word. Are you concerned it's being used incorrectly?

I don't know what quote descriptions are. I know what quote and description mean.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I'm sure estate agents have used it over and over again.  'A lawned area to the rear' for example.  Doesn't make them experts though.  We came to view this house because it had mature carnivorous hedges giving privacyimage  Only the midges that live in them are carnivorous.

I like the 'urban version' of lawned - I've heard my son use it to describe achievements lost, for example when playing video games he will say 'I just got lawned' it took me a while to figure it out but it means to have something one is trying to achieve or accomplish taken away.

Anyone else notice the spell check on here doesn't like lawned?

• Tommy83Tommy83 Posts: 8

GemmaJF would you say that you had a 'herbed border' or a 'border containing herbs', it just doesn't work. I wouldn't say a 'lawned garden' but rather a 'garden with lawns'.

Nutcutlet when we write out a quote for our customers we give a small description of the works to be carried out hence a quote description.

No I would say I had a herb border. I wouldn't say I have a 'border containing herbs'.

I don't though, I keep my herbs in pots. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Thanks Tommyimage

re lawned garden, area etc. There are some words that are correct but never sound right. This could be one of them

In the sticks near Peterborough