London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
6 messages
16/07/2014 at 20:30

Evening all ,over the last day or two lots of our trees ,bushes all our fruit trees have been attacked by a small green caterpillar that wraps itself up or is born in a wrapped up leaf especialy the new tender leaf ends the leaf seems to be stuck into position by a whitish stuff,can anyone tell me what it is and what spray will kill them or do i check every tree and squish, the ends of the branches tips seem quite damaged,

many thanks Alan

16/07/2014 at 20:37

Alan.......seems to be prevalent on just about every garden plant/shrub/tree this year ......I have them everywhere............I pick off where I can but it is an endless task..........they perhaps only damage the leaf/leaves they are on and won't have a detrimental effect on the whole plant.........that is my theory anyway........if not true, may as well give up now 

16/07/2014 at 21:03

Hi philippa , my worry is they are damaging the new tips of our fruit trees, and they seem to just curl up and shrivel ,worried 

16/07/2014 at 21:23

I think its one of the leaf rolling sawflies, phillipa's correct many trees and shrubs seem to be affected this year and I don't know why.

17/07/2014 at 17:01

Hi Dave i inspected all our trees today and every single one is effected ,as I said all the new end growth is dried and shriveled or has this little green monster inside  the curled leaf ,if it was just leaves ok but every tip cream crackered im annoyed , more daily inspections from now on and squiges a plenty. The wash liquid and garlic spray this time  no good ,and such damage from such a tiny caterpillar , its War.

17/07/2014 at 17:13

Alan........I can sympathise wholeheartedly......all I can suggest is to be careful when removing.........the little blighters can drop very quickly if you try squidging on the plant/tree and are then difficult to catch

I've found the best method is to take off the affected leaves/shoots and then squish or stamp on.............a never ending task I have to admit and  leaves some things looking a bit bald.  I've also found that it seems to be a continuous thing........no sooner have you cleaned a plant then days later you have to start all over again. 

email image
6 messages