London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 75 messages
31/10/2013 at 21:31

Hello everyone, an unexpected opportunity has come up and I'm moving, which is great the down side is that I'm leaving my garden and all the lovely plants that I've grown and planted

I'm moving to a lovely place up country lanes which is peaceful and beautiful. I don't care about the property I'm leaving but so sad to be leaving the garden. It did so well this year, I had loads of insects and butterflies

Will try and take some of my plants with me, but don't have the space or the time to move them all. I'm in such a dilemma as to what to take and what to leave behind. I know in my heart that I can grow them again, but it feels sad to leave them behind and the chances are that they won't be appreciated by the new tenants or the landlord.

I've been here for nearly 3 years and didn't think I would feel this way, when I started out

31/10/2013 at 21:38

Take a few, turn your back, and start again with all your accumulated knowledge and enthusiasm. Don't look back.......

Life is full of choices.....take this one and revel in it.

31/10/2013 at 21:45

I agree with WW.  

The seed swap will be round again to restock

31/10/2013 at 21:53

Best wishes for your move Hollie!   I would feel just the same as you, but

just think of all the plans you can make during the dark winter days for

your new garden and how lovely to be moving to the country - I do envy you!  

31/10/2013 at 21:57

don't try to copy what you had... your new garden will call for different solutions. But do have a few echoes of the past... some subtle reminders , happy memories.

31/10/2013 at 22:06

Thank you I wasn't expecting to feel this way about plants!

In my new home I will have a small garden but plenty of opportunities for having some extra land. I hope to have a proper space to grow veggies and maybe some chickens. Will pick out some to take with me and start again

31/10/2013 at 22:10

Your right WW, my new garden is a lot smaller and I have no idea about the aspect, it's a lot higher than where I am, no problem with flooding...........the water will run straight downWill take some favourites and those that are small but spreading.

31/10/2013 at 22:13

Pick out your very favorite s and perhaps you could take cuttngs of some of the others. Hope you are very happy in your new home 

31/10/2013 at 22:17

Moving to the practical, your micro climate might be different. You won't know for a while? Is the soil different. Where I live most of the gardens are up the hill on gravelly acid soils. I am in the river valley on alkaline soil. I am in a bit of a frost pocket, in spite of being near a fairly large river. You learn all the slight differences as you go, but that is gardening. If everything was certain it would be much less interesting. Don't fear to fail. I learn most from my mistakes... which must make me very clever indeed...

31/10/2013 at 22:29

Best of luck on the move Hollie.

Moved here myself from London 22 years ago. Had done no gardening over there. Worked at construction for 16 years untill made redundant in 2008. Back gardening since.

Learned how much i forgot in the meantime.

The only thing I brought from my mum and dads home was my rhubarb and it's still going strong.

Grab a few favourites and hit for the hills, and enjoy a new start it's great for the soul.

31/10/2013 at 22:31

How exciting Hollie - a new adventure

31/10/2013 at 22:31

Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)

I learn most from my mistakes... which must make me very clever indeed...

I just love this line Woodgreen wonderboy - It really made me smile...mensa will be ringing me any day soon !

Good luck with you move Hollyhock. It's actually a great time to move. You can watch for any bulbs coming up in your new patch, assess what's there and see its bare bones/structure in winter - take lots of photos as the seasons turn to remind yourself what's what and what could be improved on. You can plan in the warmth, do a ph soil test, check out the GCs in the area and also see what others have in their gardens. I hope you'll share with us your country retreat's progress!  

31/10/2013 at 22:32

Enjoy your new garden, but remember to take some of the false sunflower as we would all like some of that.  Are you moving far?  As said before taking cuttings will help start off your new garden.  Pot other things up.

Do you know if new garden already has lots of plants?

31/10/2013 at 22:32

I think it's going to be a few degrees colder. Where I am now, I think I managed to establish the gardens own micro climate, by putting up fences etc. I'm only moving a few miles along but it's a fair bit higher

31/10/2013 at 22:34

Oops, don't know what happened to the quote feature!! Woodgreen wonder boy can only be held responsible for the first line......and maybe I haven't made enough mistakes yet for Mensa but I am trying!

31/10/2013 at 22:34

Good luck Hollie, hope it all goes well for you. When is the big day? Is it nearby or some way away?

31/10/2013 at 22:59

Best of luck Hollie.Like someone else said it's a new challenge and you have the winter to plan, change your plans, change them again, then again....................

31/10/2013 at 23:15

Just know that you left your plants with joy and love...they will always remeber you as they bloom next season....and you, in return, will too! Just like Spock says "Live long and Prosper"!

01/11/2013 at 03:30

Try giving some to your friends and neighbours who will look after them for you .When the time is right and you have made room for them ,come and ask for cuttings.This way everyone wins,and NOT the new landlord.

01/11/2013 at 06:16

Have you got any pots planted up with spring bulbs?  I can't remember - if you haven't, it's not too late - plant up a tub to take with you to welcome the spring in your new garden, just in case it's not had a gardener in it before and it needs 'waking up' to the possibilities 

And as others have said, don't look back - take a few 'specials' and look forward and enjoy the planning and getting to know what you've got.  How exciting 

1 to 20 of 75 messages