Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Let's Remember Them

On this 100th anniversary day of the outbreak of WW1, I'll be remembering my dear old Dad, who enlisted into the army at the age of 16 (lied about his age, as many did)  returning home broken, scarred, both mentally & physically.

RIP, Dad. 

We will remember them.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Best wishes David x

Hugely proud and honoured to have had these people fight for us x
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Good thread David. x

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I shall be thinking of the grandfather and uncle I never knew - they returned but so damaged mentally and physically.

I shall also be reflecting, as I frequently do these days, on why countries are so rarely led by people who understand how to live peaceably. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,658

Best wishes David.x

Thinking of them all.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

We must never forget David.

A big hug to you today, and everyone else who lost someone special. x

I'm lucky, my grandpa was relatively unscathed. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Hugs are always welcome, so thanks for them....but I did nothing. I do however feel privileged to be the son of one of those millions of heroes who went through so much for us all.  

• A reflection from the Eden Project....of the 12 gardeners who enlisted for service  in WW1, just 3 returned. This gives some idea of the scale & magnitude of the loss of young life.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

David you mean the lost gardens of Heligan. The garden is now beautifully restored to its former glory.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn wrote (see)

David you mean the lost gardens of Heligan. The garden is now beautifully restored to its former glory.

Yes, Lyn...I think you're probably right. I picked-up on it during a recent TV program.

• My great grandfather went missing in action in the Somme in July 16. His name is on the Thiepval memorial.

I'll pilgramage over to France to commemorate that anniversary as I am aware of where he was fighting on the day and I'll try and take my nephew.

Wearside, England.