London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
21 to 22 of 22 messages
04/07/2014 at 21:09

I bought a bag of multi-purpose compost (not peat-free) from Aldi yesterday, and it smelt of Jeyes fluid or bitumen. Must be the same stuff Lidl have been selling.

It's almost black when it's soaking wet and the same colour when it's bone dry (unlike any other soil I've seen, which lightens when dry).

I bought a bag of the same stuff about four months ago and it was very different. Not the best, but quite woody and smelled of forests in the rain. That was OK for £2 but the bag yesterday was rubbish even for £2, and I worry about what's in it due to that smell. Not to mention what effect this might have on my fruit/plants.

The annoying thing is that most of my compost was J Arthur Bowers, and I only bought the Aldi bag to top up the last bits, thinking it would be good enough and save me another trip to the garden centre.

04/07/2014 at 21:13
Tomsk, if i need a bulk buy of compost etc, i use creative garden ideas, they have free delivery to most places when you spend 30quid, i usually do a autumn order of muck etc
email image
21 to 22 of 22 messages