London (change)
Fri 22°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 13°C
21 to 38 of 38 messages
04/07/2014 at 21:09

I bought a bag of multi-purpose compost (not peat-free) from Aldi yesterday, and it smelt of Jeyes fluid or bitumen. Must be the same stuff Lidl have been selling.

It's almost black when it's soaking wet and the same colour when it's bone dry (unlike any other soil I've seen, which lightens when dry).

I bought a bag of the same stuff about four months ago and it was very different. Not the best, but quite woody and smelled of forests in the rain. That was OK for £2 but the bag yesterday was rubbish even for £2, and I worry about what's in it due to that smell. Not to mention what effect this might have on my fruit/plants.

The annoying thing is that most of my compost was J Arthur Bowers, and I only bought the Aldi bag to top up the last bits, thinking it would be good enough and save me another trip to the garden centre.

04/07/2014 at 21:13
Tomsk, if i need a bulk buy of compost etc, i use creative garden ideas, they have free delivery to most places when you spend 30quid, i usually do a autumn order of muck etc
19/01/2015 at 15:27

I potted up my pelargoniums in this compost in the autumn.  I keep the pots on a suny windowsill through the winter as I do every year,  This winter we have had a plague of little black flies which need to be cleaned up every few days.  I have resorted to spraying them with RAID fly spray - my dining table is right next to this window!!  There are millions and millions of these dead black flies every two days which have to be cleaned up as they look so disgusting in the plant saucers and on the white window sill.  The compost seemed to consist of a great deal of soot - it did say on the bag to use heavy duty plastic gloves.  If you did not your hands were black with soot.  I would have thought that this compost would have had to be passed by Trading Standards.

19/01/2015 at 15:35

I've found that if its cheap stuff is never up to much,

its the old saying "if it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't" 

Edd
19/01/2015 at 16:25

"if it looks too good to be true, it probably is"

19/01/2015 at 17:27

Thanks for the warning on this stuff- will be very sure to avoid it. Sounds nasty.

19/01/2015 at 18:50

I tried the lidl seed and cuttings compost last year.  No dodgy smell. Did a good enough job. 

24/01/2015 at 16:08

I used this to pot up plants to bring indoors for the winter.  It seemed to consist mainly of soot.  For the last couple of months there have been literally millions of small black flies coming out of it into my curtains, in the top of the pots and all over the window sills.  I clean them up every few days after spraying with Raid fly killer for large flies.  Are these injurious to health - they are a nasty thing to have in the house but I will lose the pelargoniums if I put them outside.  I already did this with two of the largest pots and lost the plants due to the very cold weather

24/01/2015 at 17:33

lidil's compost was the same last year there was quite a few folk on the forum saying the same thing that it smelt of tar my advice would would be to stay clear of it , it is cheap , and by all accounts not very good .  there are plenty of other good outlets where you can buy good compost you may have to pay a little bit extra for it but it will be worth while paying a little bit more as your seeds will germinate and the more seeds that germinate means the more plants you will have in the garden.

24/01/2015 at 20:07

I've used Levingtons for about 40yrs.

I tried Verve from B&Q a few yrs ago, that was just chopped garden waste with all sorts of crap (probably in both forms!) in it.

From what I've read on here elsewhere, the Which? best buy (Tichmarsh/Waitrose) isn't up to much.

So I'm sticking with Levingtons.

Edd
25/01/2015 at 10:29

I was very impressed with Gro-Sure compost last year and it was cheap. It was recommended to me so may be trying it again this year if I need it. (make my own now) 

I think it all depends on the batch when it comes to compost it must be hard for the suppliers to keep it at a constant quality. The main (more expensive) names are usually constant so if they can do it, I'm sure the others could try harder.

25/03/2015 at 14:10

I use the B&Q Verve compost, but it has some limitations!

http://rachel-the-gardener.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/compost-contamination.html

25/03/2015 at 14:31

I got some from Aldi a couple of years ago and ended up putting it on the garden as a mulch. I stick to well known brands now.

25/03/2015 at 14:32

Morning all,here in Norfolk we have some large stores called ROYS one of those that sells loads of different stuff, they now advertise there own compost so iv tried it 4 bags  £10 and its as good as the one iv been paying £4.50 a bag for  so anyone thinking of trying it go ahead its very good and no chunks of rubbish in it ,I am very pleased to recommend it, Sunny erein Muns Norfolk

25/03/2015 at 16:34

A fellow in my evening class did his dissertation on composting. He was out at the plants that process the councils' green waste taking samples. He said these places sometimes (frequently) have compost fires in the windrows due to the intense heat generated by the microbiota. (the owner of the local one has coils circulating heat to his home and it's toasty all the year round).

The coal tar smell may be the result of partially-burned wood from one of these fires. If it is sooty that is also further evidence to suspect a compost fire has occurred.

In instances where a significant fire has occurred an EPA / SEPA investigation takes place and involves the Environmental Health, Public health departments, NHS and will be a matter of public record.

Most green waste collections are fortnightly. Waste has often generated significant heat by the time it is collected (I just probed my and my neighbour's 13 day old green waste and it is 21°C, significantly higher than ambient). The more biomass that is there the smaller external surface (heat dissipation) area to volume ratio. Depositing heated biomass onto already heated biomass just compounds the heat problem.

Some of the processors have a grading system. There is BSI PAS100 material they can sell to agriculture and professional horticulture. The rest can't be sold as a compost in its raw state but can be sold as a soil (structural) conditioner or further processed to make it sellable as compost. They are usually paid by the local authority to process the green waste, so it's dirt cheap per tonne if one can collect. 

Talking of this I need to organise a field trip to the local green waste processors for the horti association. It's quite hi-tech and an interesting although organic-smelling day out, according to the green waste chap at the council.

25/03/2015 at 17:20
elaine10, your beastly little flies are probably fungus gnats which can be a bit of a problem in peat free compost. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=804
28/04/2015 at 13:39

Just bought a 35l bag of grandiol multi purpose compost from lidl for 1.89 . Totally unlike last years black stuff (they've listened). Its Brown, very similar to b and q verve . Very nice texture. Works out ever so slightly cheaper than the B&Q 125 lt.Just hope it works.

28/04/2015 at 15:54

I bought lidl compost last year and this and it smells of compost how strange I must have got a bad batch.

email image
21 to 38 of 38 messages