London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
21/08/2012 at 23:56

i want to enter my local village flower show but the entry says it is judged to RHS standards WOW! just thought i'd support it for fun and it hasn't been a good year for flowers. any advice?

22/08/2012 at 07:01

Most village horticultural shows are judged to RHS standards - setting the standards and providing local judges etc is part of the work of the RHS.

Have you ever been to the show in previous years?  That'll give you a bit of an idea - but if it's anything like the village show that I used to enter there'll be some people who've been showing for years and they g row things especially for the show and their exhibits look amazing, and then there's everyone else who enters the best they've got in any given season.

My best advice is to get hold of the entry form and study the requirements - for instance if it says 3 pompom dahlias don't enter 3 cactus dahlias.  There are also recognised ways of presenting the exhibits, so if I were you I'd ask the Club Secretary for guidance - if they've got any sense at all they'll welcome new interest and be all kind and lovely to you.

Then when you're at the show look and see who's done well and congratulate them and if you've any queries about why you've not got a First in all classes, ask them - most people love sharing their knowledge 

Many many years ago I won a First with my Purple Sprouting Broccoli, simply because the winter weather had been so bad most people's had almost died, so they'd pulled them up - I think mine was the only allotment with any broccoli on it, and when the weather had picked up we'd got some fresh growth - I picked it, exhibited it and won   

Give it a go and let us know how you get on   Good luck!

22/08/2012 at 15:04

hey thanks for the encouragement Dove i am going to put in my entry money now.

22/08/2012 at 17:11

Yes, give it a go! I enter a few things (mostly veg) every year in the local village show and always get at least couple of awards. These are, I think, £1 for a First and 80p for a Second, so you won't get rich, but it's quite satisfying if your produce gets recognition. I usually do well with my carrots, courgettes and beans, while the flower entries are more hit-and-miss. I have a very blue hydrangea which sometimes does well, as it's a fab colour and no one else seems to have a pure blue one locally.

You can learn a lot from looking at the winning entries and seeing what the judges are looking for, and then at least next year you'll know what's worth entering. I also just enjoy seeing all the exhibits from the other classes, and admiring the achievements of other people. I don't see it as being about showing-off or jealousy, it's more a kind of community celebration of our harvest and our gardens.

22/08/2012 at 21:59

well guys I've entered 13 classes (total cost £2.60) including flowers, unusual container, carrot cake, 5 cup cakes, orchid and only tomatoes and chilli peppers for veg as I had to give up my allotment.  now i'll probably have sleepless night dreaing of the huge slugs and snails eating everything.  i'am off to check now with my headtorch,scissors and sturdy boots.

23/08/2012 at 09:55

Great!  Good luck!  I look forward to hearing all about it - with pics 

23/08/2012 at 22:38

I have a question for one of my entered flower categories are verbena bonariensis, lilies, crocosmia, bergamot, loosestrife and dahlias all clasified as herbaceous perennials?

23/08/2012 at 23:27

Lilies are bulbs, crocosmia are corms and dahlias are tubers, the others should be fine. It will depend on how strict they are too.

I hope that you have a good sense of humour, I spent my childhood in village shows and it can get a little competetive at times.

25/08/2012 at 05:08

good luck at your show as im not allowed to enter any veggies in mine im gutted

25/08/2012 at 17:36

hiya all, just got back from show and i got 5 firsts, 1 second and 2 thirds, it opened my eyes to the competitive spirit of men even my hubby suggested we look to the poorly entered categories and try those next year!  One guy seemed to get all the 'best in group' cups etc.  Well i gave it a go and this the year of the downpour and no sun.  Thanx  for encouragement.

25/08/2012 at 17:53

Congratulations

25/08/2012 at 17:57

Crikey muddy mare what did you have to do to get a ban?

25/08/2012 at 18:08

i can't upload any images at the mo' as the technical team are looking in to it still but when i can i'll add some pics if it's any interest

25/08/2012 at 18:30

Congratulations!  That's brilliant 

26/08/2012 at 06:11

well done you must be over the moonbeacuse i dont have any land i cant enter my veggies and flowers I grow them on someone elses land but that doesnt qualify me apparantly i can enter a scarf or a tea cake or a painted hard boiled egg........

26/08/2012 at 08:16
That doesn't sound fair to me MM, put in a protest!
26/08/2012 at 17:00

Hi all

I'm feeling quite pleased and spurred on to 'grow for show' next year

Everyone had a piece of carrot cake after church today and my cup cakes-I didn't hear any complaints.

I'm still having problems adding pics any suggestions-Control V doesn't work and upload doesn't work?

26/08/2012 at 17:04

Are you using the green tree on the tool bar?

26/08/2012 at 20:29

hi kate yes i am and it won't work i get an oops message and it says the techie team are looking in to it that's been happening for a week now

02/09/2012 at 19:18

hi all i had a bad day so far but been to pick sweetpeas and feel loads bettter how's everyone feeling this September day ?

1 to 20 of 23 messages