London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
21 to 40 of 122 messages
02/03/2013 at 10:57

Never ever to old to learn when it comes to gardening I'm nearly 64 and learn new things everyday, not always put them into fruition but the tip is always there for a just in case day.

02/03/2013 at 18:40

Must say that here in the East Midlands I am not even thinking about seed sowing yet - that is quite a fib actually, I am thinking about it, but not doing it!! Learned in the first few years here that it was very different from gardening in the south and west where I had lived before.  Now rarely sow anything before April, maybe a few hardy things in late March in the greenhouse, but mostly April or even May for annuals, or I'd just have to do them again later.  

03/03/2013 at 17:48

I don't believe it ! ! ! !   remember I said that I'd sown some Cosmos among other seeds on Friday, well they're through already,  they wern't there this morning when  looked but when I walked past the gh about 4.40 they were through boy is that quick or  what,  I definitely need to get the rest away now.

03/03/2013 at 19:22
Sam Glendinning wrote (see)
Learn something new everyday and your day has not been wasted
Im always grateful for any tips

I love learning new things. I only wish I could remember what I learnt! What's my name now...?

03/03/2013 at 19:35
I know the feeling gardening grandma. Same experience with cosmos seed rainjustlearning ....up in couple of days and now pricked out into a tray and soon into individual pots. Things happening fast now. Good though, eh?
03/03/2013 at 20:13

Good news Rain, growing from seed is brilliant. Looks like nothing then all of a sudden.........life.

Definately a different garden this year in Spring to last year. It was really mild last year and all my crocuses were out by now. This year they are just started to bud and the daffs look like they are going to put on a better show.

Overall the garden is looking good for this time of year, I have the Cloth of Gold and the Bowles Mauve wallflowers still flowering, primoses galore. Lupins and Aqueligias are showing fresh growth as well as the clemantis, Montana and Jackamini.

Big surprises for me are that the annual Scabious that I grew from seed last year have survived desite the frost and snow and are putting on fresh growth and a lots of the Snapdragons also grown from seed seem to be turning into woody shrubs and are sprouting new growth

03/03/2013 at 22:52

I agree with you hollie hock about the garden this time last year,  I'd just got my pot off 1st March so couldn't do anything at all let alone stand up but the garden was just plodding on,  the weather was very mild and the daffs,  crocus and snowdrops were in a little world of their own so by the time I managed to get outside to have a look about the second week in March they were past their best,  April was lovely as I remember sitting out and enjoying the sun and a few weeks in May were the same,  but,  then what happened,  it started to rain and really didn't stop for 10 more months but the garden still plodded on along with the weeds and sodden ground.

The daffs on the grass road side of me are a few behind this year so won't be pick-able for Mothers Day this year,  it's amazing how many grown ups take themit's such a shame as they look so cheery when you walk past them

04/03/2013 at 08:09

This is a great time to spot the gaps in the garden, when things are just starting into growth. I just wish I was better at visualising how the border will look when the plants mature.

04/03/2013 at 08:28
I have a lot of gaps as not got a spring garden ..yet... But now is me making plans for next spring
04/03/2013 at 10:27

I'm getting carried away with all this good weather!

I had a pile of plants I got on sale at various garden centres over the winter sitting in the sun room on the front of my house.  Also had some plug plants from the end of last year potted on and growing nicely.  Had the window open to harden them off for the last month or so, and was moving them outside on nice days.  

Anyway, got carried away in the sunshine and planted out the shrubs (lavatera, weiglia, fiji plum, spirea, hydrangea, dogwood) and the big pots with dianthus and osteopermum are on a south facing patio where they can fend for themselves!

I blame the sun....

04/03/2013 at 19:52

Another mild and sunny day here and still more crocus are popping through. I love Spring bulbs as you can keep adding to them each year fairly cheaply and they themselves multiply. Saw some sort of bee at the GC on the weekend on the crocus, first one I've seen this year. The daffs didn't do that well last year here so really looking forward to them being out in bloom, already think that it's going to be a better year for them.

I have a tricky bed that does well in the Spring and early Summer but lacks colour later in the year so trying to add some more plants this year.

For me it's always about next year, I love my snowdrops, crocus and hyacinths etc but then always think...........a few more next year would look even better. MInd you I think that about all the plants

04/03/2013 at 20:06

Here in the Fens, was in a friends garden this morning, the fruit trees she planted last year are doing well; her crocus are in bud, mine are also. Used my new toy; a telescopic pruner to cut back the pear tree a bit, Tree Peony has leaves growing, most of the roses also; will have to spray against black spot this week, and so it goes on. At this time of the year every day is an adventure.

04/03/2013 at 20:09

Artjack,  what exactly is a Tree Peony ? 

04/03/2013 at 20:23

Ah Hah! Once you have seen one you cannot live without it! I bought mine from a nursery about 8/10 years ago (sorry to other readers, this story has been on another thread) and it said on the label that the flowers were 100/150 mm across yeah right I thought. Next May I saw from my kitchen window that someone had thrown a big white plastic bag onto the tree peony. I went storming down the garden to find that it was a flower about 200 mm across. So breathtakingly beautiful that I now, when there are about 30/35 flowers of this size on a plant that is 1 metre high invite the neighbours around for a drink and an 'Ahh', in early May. Google Tree peonys and you will be amazed. I give it no special care at all except a bit of water if it is really dry. (but it knows it is my favourite)

04/03/2013 at 21:52
I inherited 3 mature tree peonies in my garden and they are stunning. didn't see the flowers coz we only bought the house in June but the foliage is lovely and the buds are just opening so am very excited!

Loads of crocus out here hollie, i'd forgotten where i planted them so it was a nice suprise!
04/03/2013 at 22:37

Shropshire lass, please give us feedback when the Tree Peonys bloom. Also photos!

04/03/2013 at 22:49

How fabulous! How much space do they need? I had to remove a larger tree and would love to replace it with something smaller.

04/03/2013 at 22:55
Not a lot. two are in the middle of my large flower bed and the biggest is a stand alone. I've planted all around them and have pruned them to stop them getting leggy. Will post pics as soon as they're out!

I've taken some seeds which have just sprouted so am excited to see how they turn out. also gave a couple of young plants that had self seeded to the mother in law in exchange for her digging a pile of ground elder out of a big flower bed. think i got the best end of that deal!!
05/03/2013 at 09:24

GG; mine is 1 metre tall and wide, but a lot that I've seen are 2metres tall and 1 wide.

05/03/2013 at 09:45
Just looked them up, they're lovely . Are they fussy on soil ? I have heavy clay .
21 to 40 of 122 messages