London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
81 to 100 of 122 messages
08/03/2013 at 14:52
Cestvalere wrote (see)
Sorry rainjustlearning, but I suffer from a condition called Literalism. I means that when I see statements like " March in your garden" I read it as an instruction, so my initial response is to say why would I want to march in my garden?
It happens a lot and I have gathered quite a few .
The notice that you see on office doors. 'THESE DOORS ARE ALARMED' and I immediately what can be so scary that it can frighten large doors. My all time favourite is the howler that you often find in village halls which reads. 'When you have finished using the teapot, please stand upside on the draining board.' Oh! I only wish that I could.
I'm sure that there are others out there like me. Who among you will admit to opening the door in your dressing gown.

There is a shop near me that has a dry-cleaning sign outside that reads 'Drop you clothes here.' I feel like setting up a camera!

Have just heard on the news that snow is on the way!

08/03/2013 at 15:18

Thank you Verdun, I'll try that.

08/03/2013 at 16:12

In the close I live in most of the houses were smothered in ivy, the contractors cut it right down at the base and then let it die off. The gardens were the same and we are all having battles with it. On the whole we have cut it off near the ground and really kept on top of it. Slowly the street is winning, there does not seem to be a quick fix solution 

Mind you it does creep in from land at the back

08/03/2013 at 22:51

You are right GG,  I have snow forecast for Saturday/Sunday and temperatures dropping down to about -4c again  .

I pricked out today 132 Cosmos plantlets,  there is also a green swathe of Poppies, Gerbera, Pansies, Sunflower by the millions the Lobelia are just about through and I'm running out of room already I think I shall have to get another Gh and put that in the kitchen as well,  the one outside has got Sweet Peas in,  normally when I sow seed less than half take,  oh no not this year with it been in the kitchen,  the moral of this is next year don't sow the whole packet 

11/03/2013 at 00:47

Hi everybody.  Have been absent from the forum for months and great to see some familiar names still around and everyone's enthusiasm building for another Spring.  I can't get started on seed sowing or get much done this year yet as we've had building works affecting access to the garden - BUT - have managed to sneak out there when we had a couple of sunny days.    So not much going on in the garden yet and Spring bulbs only just come up with daffs about 6", fritillaries stems just stretching up, aquilegia foliage coming up quite quick now and managed to divide geums to give lots of new plants.  Wondering if I've done this too early though as the weather is turning again  - bouts of rain and hailstones with some sunny days.  Temp 2 degrees today with hailstone shower.

Anyway - favourite survivor just now from being planted as a tiny things last autum are a couple of Euphorbia 'Craigieburn' which were new to me.  They seem to have loved the winter and I love the leave tips on the foliage just now.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19649.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19650.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

This one clashes like mad with the young Euonymus (Emerald and Gold I think?)but I like it filling the gap.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19652.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

This year's snowdrops were planted last year (Poundstretcher bag) - no idea what kind they are - maybe one of you knows.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19653.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

These Hellebores are upliftingly bright - can't remember which ones they are either.  Ellen something I think - or something 'Ellen'.

11/03/2013 at 08:41
Nice pics yarrow2. I too grow euphorbia craigburn/rubra and like to contrast as you have done with yellow or,yellow,foliage plants. To maintain foliage colour I remove developing flowers. I grow a double white hellebore called Ellen...as I recall.....but single white ones are lovely, arent they?
11/03/2013 at 09:41

Hello yarrow2, lovely euphorbia. I don't think it clashes, it's a good contrast. You've probably met Verdun, above, he used to be Christopher then there was another Christopher (don't know where he went). After months of us asking Verdun finally sent pics of his garden - wonderful.

Is that a pelargonium in that pot? How did it survive the winter?

11/03/2013 at 10:03
That snowdrop is lovely .
11/03/2013 at 10:22

I will be on the lookout for snowdrops in the pound shop- those really are beautiful.

All the gardens look really good.

11/03/2013 at 10:30

Hi Yarrow 2. I have that euphorbia, I posted it's picture on another thread, perhaps you will look to confirm that it is the same variety, thanks. 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/garden-gallery-2013/75578-4.html

You could also post your lovely photos om it

Ans thanks Verdun I only like the new shoots colour si you have said how to get more. Mine is in the wrong border Do they transplant easily - avoiding the sap of course.

11/03/2013 at 16:29

I removed the Craigieburn flowers as well Verdun - but not with knowledgeable intent !I lost both my martinii because I stupidly didn't get around to planting them at the end of the year and they shrivelled up in their pots which obviously didn't suit.  Ah well!

Yes Busy-Lizzie - not proud to say it IS a pelargonium you can see at the edge of that pot..  There are several things which I didn't have time to move for the winter before building materials came on site and I pretty much had to abandon a few things.  However, all my pelargs have survived the last 4 winters but now that our snow has come today, I don't have high hopes of their future!

Bev - after the flooding and rotten weather last year when most of my Spring bulbs either didn't come up - or when they did (e.g. tulips) they had no stalks but flowered at ground level (looked like little martians all over the place) - I decided to replenish with the cheapest I could find.  I had great and surprising success with Pound shop boxes of wildflower mixes (which were amazing) and a few other things last year so decided I'd try their Spring bulbs for this year.  Have to say, before today's snow - the mix of narcissus, daffs, alliums, iris, tulips, and a pink thing I can never remember the name of which begins with 'C'  -  all seem to be sprouting well..  But, as we're in Scotland, and depending on near-future weather, it will be a while yet before we see what gets to blooming stage.

Bunny - I have no idea what their Snowdrop is - but saw these beauties in the photo below in the Botanical gardens a couple of weeks ago which are lovely.  I expect you all know them.

Hi Rosa - I'll have a look at the potting shed gallery.  I'd like to get more euphorbia when I can so must have a look around some sites and places to learn a bit more about them.  Thanks for pointing out the link.

And here are the not so happy looking Hellebores this morning.  I guess this snow is going to last a while yet.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19674.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19675.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

11/03/2013 at 18:24

Yarrow, I find it incredible that you have geraniums outside in Edinburgh that have survived 4 winters. I live in Dordogne and it's impossible to leave them outside, they never survive.

12/03/2013 at 09:57

Busy-Lizzie - I feed them on haggis and give them the occasional dram.  It kind of stuns them into sticking around!

In truth - they've been quite amazing pelargoniums this particular lot.  They have survived outside for 4 years and I've never pampered them, fed them or put them under shelter or inside at all.  However, I think I will have to pep them up this year and give them some special attention.  I have nowhere sheltered to put anything until our builders have removed all their gear to get me access to parts of the garden.  I can't get to my tiny greenhouses either. We are -3 degrees today and yesterdays snow remains icy and crunchy out there with melts in the sun turning to ice as it's freezing right away.  If I had somewhere to shelter them available to me right now - I would be doing that and also re-potting them in fresh compost.  All I've been doing every year is cutting any stems which seemed to have gone a bit soft, taking off the leaves and leaving them.  Then in mid-Spring they have always just blossomed into life.  I bought them locally four years ago and maybe they were just particularly strong and remained strong to spite my ignorance!

12/03/2013 at 10:57

4" of snow here, still falling and drifting in the wind.   I'm having to top up th ebird food every couple of hours to keep them going.

Clearly no gardening being done but I do have babies on the window sills - tomatoes, chillies, PSB, Christmas basil, summer savoury, sweet peas, nemesias, hollyhocks, cream aconitum, echinacea alba and lupins.  No room to sow anything else until the greenhouse is warm enough.

12/03/2013 at 13:05

Obelixx - I think quite a few of us are now running out of windowsills.  I have now taken over the coffee table in the conservatory as well!

12/03/2013 at 13:07

I have two daffy dogs so coffee tables are not an option for me.  However, one of the dog's sleeping cages is under the kitchen window sill and home to several seed trays and I have chilli seeds enjoying gentle bottom heat on a radiator cover.

13/03/2013 at 12:13

Down here in Cornwall everything is sprouting and growing. I have window sills full of seedlings as well as the conservatory and all the trees and shrubs outside are breaking buds.

Just in time for the current arctic conditiobns to scorch the new growth. The sun is shining but the wind is seeringly cold.

13/03/2013 at 12:22

I put one of my plastic GH's in the kitchen so I could get the seeds away,  normally only half of them take for me,  but this year oh no every one of them seems to have taken,   the problem now is not much room for them when I've pricked them out and it's far to cold to put them in the one outside even though it has a fleece cover on,  it's dropping down to below freezing on a night so I'm going to be very ruthless when pricking out 

13/03/2013 at 13:20

My garden today - http://s211.beta.photobucket.com/user/Obelixx_be/library/#/user/Obelixx_be/library/?&_suid=1363180705658010418952465097836

Even the new plants I have "safely" stashed in the garage got so cold last night they have all wilted.  -14C last night.

Far too cold in the greenhouse for babies so they're all indoors and the pots we epmptied out last weekend have been stashed in the barn or the garage again till this cold spell finishes.

14/03/2013 at 21:07

Icy start to today's gardening with frostbite fingers but then the sun warmed up a bit and it sort of touched on early spring. Put out five bags of rubbish for the bin men tomorrow including three bags of rose prunings from front garden as well as back arch which means my view from the kitchen window will be sans waving wands of climbing rose gone mad, thank Goodness!

I do like order and loath chaos, but I'm still on the winter pruning jobs and haven't begun moving things or sowing seeds yet as the ground is too cold and wet. Garlic looks good on it though whilst my keen eye did spot the pink nose of a sprouting Allium peeking through my borders, which filled me with good cheer.

More to do tomorrow, but its all just tidying stuff up really...nothing close to that wonder filled spring rush we venture into each year as the season takes off. Hold onto your hats when it comes...

81 to 100 of 122 messages