London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
101 to 120 of 122 messages
14/03/2013 at 21:15
Oh obelixx -14 poor plants . Soon it will warm and you will have lovely summers and I shall have rain

Lovely dogs I see by the way
14/03/2013 at 22:22
I normally sow my seed at the beginning of March but I have delayed my seed sowing until April this year as I know that I won't have room to keep the plants indoors when they are ready for pricking out into bigger pots. They would have to go into the greenhouse but its been so icy cold the lowest temperature in there has very often been only -1c through this month. I don't want to have the heater on for weeks on end so I am hoping the plants would catch up once the temperatures begin to rise in April. At least the recent snow has melted and the primula and snowdrops have recovered. My seeds are mostly for perennial plants this year with just a few annuals to fill in the gaps...
14/03/2013 at 22:24
Mine are inside home bird ....OH says ""do what you want "" re plants everywhere , I'm lucky I have room ...or I just take over ...
14/03/2013 at 22:31

I've got mine in the kitchen in one of my plastic Gh's,  there's only myself and the cat and dog but they don't complain at least they have germinated this year  but it seems every one has ! so the more the merrier to prick out and pot on ho hum.

14/03/2013 at 22:33
That's the bit I'm dreading ...potting on , I have closed rooms off to nosey dog
16/03/2013 at 08:47
Lol... Bunny my OH doesn't have much choice either...
Rain....I usually put my plastic Ghs in the conservatory, I hope I get as good a germination as you have. It's a bit tedious pricking out isn't it.
OH brought me fresh seed sowing compost yesterday so I am itching to get going after hearing how you are all way ahead of me....I was hoping that if I started at the beginning of April, by the time the seedlings are big enough to prick out and pot up, the weather will be better and warmer so I can safely move them to the greenhouse and just keep the heater on to avoid frosts. Then harden off by the end of May. BUT.....you know what they say about the best laid plans.....I do hope we get a much better summer this year.
17/03/2013 at 16:50

Now is the time I trim off the dead top growth on any perrenials etc., which I always leave on plants as protection against frost.

I also check "dead" pots for new growth. I found two today which I  was going to throw away, but there are new leaves appearing so the plants have not died.

17/03/2013 at 20:42

I'm going to have to be very careful this year as I'm growing from seed some Hellebores,  the first few weeks I need to keep them at about 15c - 20c then after that around 4c so they can go in the GH outside but it does say on the instructions that it can take upto a year before they germinate,  so I need to remember not to chuck them out as they have't germinated 

18/03/2013 at 12:23

Monday morning's trek into the garden has revealed some wins and some losses.

Sorting through my borders, I was very happy to discover that one of my clumps of alliums has expanded from seven last year to twelve new shoots this year, all looking very substantial in fatness. Yet to see if all of the shoots will flower but I am delighted and shall be planting more this coming autumn.

Also, I counted the breaking buds on my Eremurus to discover twenty on each plant, that forty potential flower spikes! Since last year was twenty-one and the year before was seven, I guess these might need splitting in the summer months of dormancy?

So, to the losses so far this year...

I dug up three clumps of Heleniums from my purple garden, in order to move them since erm, they are not purple. They have always suffered in that spot anyways and I wanted to give them a bed with better soil and more light, but what I pulled out the ground was rotten mess with only the tiniest plants attached to the outer edge, so these have been potted up and I now gain one gap in the full sun border looking for a new plant

I'm also gravely disappointed with my Bottle Brush shrub which I thought was dead last year after the snows flattened it. So I dug it up to take it back to the GC that had labeled it hardy, when I realised it was not dead. It went straight in a pot and I nursed it through the summer month until it had a lovely crown of leaves and looked vibrant once more.

To save the same this year, I left it in the pot so I could move it into my cool room through the winter without success. Once again, all new growth has died, despite light and water and I am at a loss as to how I might treat this beautiful but troublesome plant that survives neither cruelty nor kindness!

18/03/2013 at 15:28

Hello Wintersong. Here they label Bottle Brush shrubs as being tender in the winter.

18/03/2013 at 19:15

Yes, Busy-Lizzie, I was already aware of the tenderness of this shrub and researched this particular variety Callistemon leavis on the net post-purchase, trusting in B&Q's Verve label standards that did not state the need for any special protection in the colder months!

Bottle brushes are excellent garden plants, which flower in early spring and will be covered with the bright red blossoms. The flowers can be spectacular and are irresistible to nectar feeding birds and insects. They can tolerate damp conditions and will tolerate drought and limited maintenance. They grow well in a wide variety of soils. Plants growth in full sun produce the best flowers.

Aftercare Water regularly during the growing season. Top dress in spring with soil improver and bonemeal.

That's exactly why I was about to return the plant last year with great dissatisfaction in the company until I realised that it was still alive. I Feel strongly about labels not stating the truth, but felt less able to complain if my plant was not actually dead.

Normally, I know my tenders from my hardys and ummed and arhed before I made the purchase based on my humble knowledge, but I remember my parents owned one that survive many years in their previous garden, so I naively thought, you know what, maybe they have hardy versions now and I can trust the label!

Shame on Verve @ B&Q!

19/03/2013 at 14:35

Well I spent a whole day up a lilac tree cutting out the dreaded tree ivy the other day, most of the time I just wanted to throw myself out of the tree but I got there in the end.

before;

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20156.jpg?width=627&height=350&mode=max

after;

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20157.jpg?width=648&height=350&mode=max

19/03/2013 at 15:49

Excellent job Dave. 

19/03/2013 at 15:58

Wow, fantastic job!

19/03/2013 at 16:15

Good job Dave, 

Amazing the difference

19/03/2013 at 17:09
Oh what a difference ...good work ivy man
19/03/2013 at 17:19

that really does make a differenceDave

19/03/2013 at 18:57

Ever thought about getting a job as a tree trimmer Dave,  sorry can't think of the proper name at the minute 

19/03/2013 at 19:14

Tree surgeon Rain.

BTW why Hellebores inside? They are totally hardy. I'd just tuck the pots next to a wall outside & leave them be. They do take for ever to germinate, but best from fresh seed. So if your dont want to show this time perhaps try again with some seed from this yrs flowers? I've got a few pots of 'babies' from my Ashwood plants. Wonder what they'll be like? J.

19/03/2013 at 19:42
My hellebore babies came from large plant , found million seedlings under plant , got them all into modules and forgot them in cold greenhouse , took couple yrs but are now in flower the ones I kept and same as main plant
101 to 120 of 122 messages