London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
07/05/2012 at 14:02

Last time I did a stop over every thing was shut for a security alert. Do you not have an alarm on your phone?

07/05/2012 at 14:07

I don't own a mobile phone, only have my work phone which I haven't brought with me because I am not supposed to use it for personal calls.  Am seriously starting to reconsider the whole mobile phone issue.

07/05/2012 at 14:08

Three successive alarms needed. One to wake you up, one to wake you up after you nodded back off and the third one just to nudge you as you do that, I'll wake up with my eyes closed trick.

07/05/2012 at 14:10

I usually feel guilty about spening time on the internet but now there is literally nothing more useful which I could be doing.   My sister sent me an e-mail just now to tell me off for being silly.

07/05/2012 at 14:15

You really do not have any excuse-did they not announce the flight in loud words or is it "you should look at the screen" airports?

At what point did you panic and start running around?

07/05/2012 at 14:30

KG you are never going to live this story down.

Geoff have you never had severe jet lag?

07/05/2012 at 14:40

I carry matchsticks in my hand luggage specifically for propping open my eyelids

07/05/2012 at 14:54

07/05/2012 at 14:58

Watched a programme last night about 'the Worlds Scariest Flights'. I hope none of you travellers saw it!!!

Geoff, my son is a manager for a tool firm and won the China prize for the best sales figures. He won a trip to San Diego two years ago and a few years before that to the Monacco Grand Prix.  He never went to university and wasn't too interested in school at the time but most of his friends that did go to uni have dead end jobs.

Still no rain here as was promised but did do some decorating. The weeds will have to carry on growing for another day. There is a thrushes nest, a flycatchers and two wrens nests in the garden so have to stay clear of some areas. 

07/05/2012 at 15:50

@pottiepam, I think that there is a perfect job for everyone, it is just difficult to find it. The weeds are having a field day here.

07/05/2012 at 16:03

It is nice when kids do well -gives us parents a warm glow-we must have got something right

The sun and breeze has dried the washing- the forecast for today was more pessimistic

07/05/2012 at 18:09

So today was dry enough for me to work hard in the garden, especially since hubby was cooking dinner, I could get on.

Dug over the full sun border once more and raked it level. I will be mulching and waiting for weed regrowth through the summer whilst I save up for the trellis that needs to be built.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7411.jpg?width=350

You can see the pile of compost Pampas grass and perhaps appreciate the size of the gap in my middle garden . I really don't know what's going on this year, I planned all through autumn to fill gaps this year and now I seem to had a huge section ploughed through the middle. After mowing the lawn and mentioning the need to weed a bad patch, hubby decided to extend a border instead!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7412.jpg?width=350

Don't know if this photo is clear, but the turf has got to be removed up to the wooden edging which doubles the width of this border!.

All this new border space to fill, I did warn him I would need to buy many more plants but he doesn't seem to mind

After digging and mowing, I then relaid some brick edging so I am really worn out now

07/05/2012 at 18:11

Hurrah!  I have managed to get back in.  Still at Dubai.  Hoping to be back on a plane in around 12 hours time.

Pam - Glad to hear that your son did well for himself.  (less stories of scarey plane journeys please!)

07/05/2012 at 18:12

Winter - I love having gaps to fill. 

07/05/2012 at 18:37

A lot of work, Wintersong--do like the edging. It will be so much fun to fill up your wider border. Any idea what is going to grow up your potential trellis? Also, how do you keep those chippings so white? Here in the rainforest they would be green with algae in no time!

You are lucky to have such an understanding OH when it comes to plant purchases.

07/05/2012 at 18:52
Decided to pressure wash another patio area and you guessed it - the heavens opened! Tomatoes and peppers seem to be enjoying their new regime of warm bottoms at night. @ Kate - I'm not losing all that planting for veggies, am working on incorporating veggies into what's there. Was very inspired by Alys Fowler's 'The Edible Garden' last year, and I must admit I do find it much more satisfying than growing ornamentals. It's made me look very critically at what plants I truly love, and given me the courage to get rid of a lot which are just so-so. I do have a couple of shady borders which I am filling up with woodlanders and so on. All good fun anyway!
07/05/2012 at 18:53
Rob Stevens wrote (see)

@gardeningfantic - Yes please, that would be fantastic! The only thing I've got to offer in return at the moment is a few nasturtium seeds if you're interested? Shall I PM you my address?

BTW, how do you go about harvesting seeds? I've got a few things coming up that I wouldn't mind trying it with. Some seeds from my aquilegias and digitalis would be nice.

i do not know what PM my address means.. i am not that good on computers.. stil cant load up pictures to gallery or this forrum yet..

no i dont need anything in return.. i am happy to pass on seeds to other growers.. please do PM me..  and i will send you some.. i had loadslast year.. and they all grew and are flowering now..wish i could load piccie of them for ya to see.

i have just harvested some and waitin for them to dry so will send to you when rady and i planted mine at end of summer lasat year.. or when they woul dnatural finish flowering i find best to sow seeds.

please do tell me how to find you details when you PM me.

07/05/2012 at 19:03
PM means Private Message. If you click on the picture next to a poster, you should see a box appear with the options 'message' and 'ignore'. If you select the message option, then you can send a private message without all the details being available to every site user.
07/05/2012 at 19:14

@KG, I am excited, just a little overwhelmed.

@Inkadog, still trying to plan the structure planting first, I have some ideas of general design and colour theme but nothing beyond that Taking my time to get it right. I know what I want, it's just a matter of translation from brain to ground. I'm very artistic, but garden design stumps me big time.

My sun spot is only one year old so perhaps that's why the stones are still clean looking. The top part of the garden has a dirty strip all the way up to the back door from my muddy wellies which is a great shame but a lesson learnt I suppose. There is no traffic on the sun spot except when the sun is out and we sit or sunbathe there, which has been one day in march so far this year

07/05/2012 at 20:07

Wintersong, I know what you mean about garden design-it's all very well to have an idea of colour and form, but it's complicated by growing conditions, as well as seasonal interest. In my garden the best laid plans gang aft aglay, and I rely a lot on the surprise factor! Mine is not an urban garden, so it is at least half wild.Right now, the dominant plants are honesty[which I dont remember planting], aquilegia [which I do, but many of them are the wild kind], bluebells, and this year will have a bumper crop of digitalis, which grows wild. All are welcome! My focus this year is on the deer and drought resistant garden, which is now unfenced. We'll see what survives!