London (change)
Wed 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
08/05/2012 at 16:14
08/05/2012 at 16:21

@Geoff. What is that growing in the last pic? It's quite lovely.

Also, am extremely jealous of your mature looking Pinus behind it! Mine it teeny (bought last year) although I have to say its already doubled its size and they say they are slow growing!

Not gonna comment on the out of focus close-up

08/05/2012 at 16:26

I am trying very hard-it is supposed to be arty

The pinus behind is next door -we dont talk about him

The fifth one is a honeysuckle( something)-will see if I can find the label

08/05/2012 at 16:31

No label-it has small red flower that turn to small orange berries, no scent doesn't scramble like normal honeysuckle-but is a honeysuckle- figrat probably knows-she is good at these id's.

08/05/2012 at 16:38
Dropmore scarlet?
08/05/2012 at 16:43

Just googled that-the flowers are bigger so might not be mine.

08/05/2012 at 17:00

Oh I love honeysuckle and pooh to your neighbour

Today's weather was too bad to garden but I did wander off to the garden centre with a tenner in my pocket. I must explain that presently my garden centre is the local B&Q which is not my optimum choice but the only one open to me at the moment since I don't drive and my husband suffers from CFS so the car is off the road nd there is nothing better in walking distance.

I don't mind them for basics and bargains although I do miss those long afternoons wandering around proper nurseries. Anyways, I went with the intention of buying a Euphorbia Silver Swan for my full sun border but right at the last minute I was seduced by a Hellebore.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7428.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

I was so excited about this plant for a number of reasons, its foliage was so stiff and blue with age, its flowers were tough as old boots, it blooms early in the year when my garden is most in need and it likes shade...so I was sold. The only trouble was it had no label.

Obviously, in a nursery, the staff would know what was it but I was unsure what to do...it was the only specimen and needed to come home with me, so I asked the lady at the till and was gobsmacked when she suggested I google hellebore when I get home.

I asked her if she had any idea how many Hellebore there were in the world but she just shrugged and said to match a google picture. I asked for a couple of pound reduction since I was buying a plant with no instructions that could potentially die on me but I was refused, so, my beautiful but pricey unnamed specimen came home with me under difficult circumstances.

After googling all afternoon, I think its Helleborus x sternii Blackthorn group (unless anyone knows better) but it's my first hellebore I've ever owned and the RHS Plants and Flowers book says its a little bit afraid of the snow, teach me for buying a plant without its label.

So if any of you want to throw in your knowledge and experience, I'd be best pleased

08/05/2012 at 17:09

@Geoff - nice photos

@Wintersong- what a gorgeous plant.

08/05/2012 at 17:20
Yes, Wintersong, it is a Sternii. Beautiful leaves aren't they? Unfortunately they aren't as robust as the h. Niger or h.oriental is. I've lost a couple here, but tend to get a bit blas?? as my garden's quite sheltered generally.
08/05/2012 at 17:53

this is was my garden last summer..grass was dead as had no rain for months.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7431.bmp?width=416&height=350&mode=max

08/05/2012 at 18:00

here is some more..

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7432.bmp?width=469&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7433.bmp?width=416&height=350&mode=max

garden still in development stage.. getting larger borders and less grass this year

08/05/2012 at 18:02

wintersong.. that is a gorgeous one.. i have loads in woodland garden. loads small mone.. i cant get enough of them..

08/05/2012 at 18:10

Do you need to protect your through the winter or are they sheltered? I have a raised bed in my shade border I'm thinking as the perfect spot and wondering if some fern foliage with help it much?

What fab pics by the way, how lovely that you cut your borders with interest instead of straight up and down

08/05/2012 at 18:25

wintersong.. they normally die down over winter and i mulch them for protection.. they love shady places and any protection would be great.. dapple sun is fine but not full.. they are quite hardy.. as long as soil is kept wet..will take some pics of mine tom if it doesnt rain.

the shape.. my lad says they look like a bottom.. looking out top window.. hubby says something else

i dont like straight lines.. it is more grown this year ..like to walk round it and se different things.. only started it 2 year ago.

08/05/2012 at 18:32

you could also try splitting it to get exact copies.. as seed can be promiscuious like aquilegia... it looks big plant.. to should be fine.. wait for it to stop flowering.

oh and do save any seed pods that develope.. i n ormally wait until last flower is seeding and let it get big and fat..

08/05/2012 at 18:45

Thanks and look forward to plenty more pics this year. The top part of my garden is quite mature but I only landscaped the bottom two years ago so mine is same age as yours. Will be lovely to follow its progress.

P.S Thanks to figrat's help also.

08/05/2012 at 18:50

@gardeningfantic you have some great colour combinations never worry about the lawn, just a practical surface. 

08/05/2012 at 19:03

@wintersong.. yep i will add mine you ad yours..

@kate1123..many thanks.. i tried to go from pinks/purples reds throught to red/orange and yellow.. and then one bed bllues and whites.. thou some self seeded items are in wrong place..

woodland garden is all white/yellow/greens if possible.. with some dots of pinks and purples with helebores and anenomes.

08/05/2012 at 20:30

Sorry to butt in, but what are the flowers in the photo with prurple and white flowers and pink drumsticks?

08/05/2012 at 21:14

Just come in coz it's threatening rain BUT I saw the first bat of the year in the garden. Only one, but it must be getting warmer!