London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
18/05/2012 at 21:54

Hi everyone- I just bought this plant from a car boot sale--she said it was a type of honeysuckle, but I can't find it in my book. Any thoughts?

The leaf has a thin white edge.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7772.jpg?width=768&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7773.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7774.jpg?width=768&height=350&mode=max

18/05/2012 at 22:08

I think she meant Lonicera pileata (privet honeysuckle).

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7782.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

It does look like that but it should be flowering now

18/05/2012 at 22:12

Oh I just googled, there is a variegated one called Silver Beauty (or various others) if that's any help.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7783.jpg?width=448&height=350&mode=max

18/05/2012 at 22:14

Or lonicera nitida.

18/05/2012 at 22:15

Aye figrat, we are on the same page  I have two L. nitida in my garden so this plant was familiar.

19/05/2012 at 09:55

Well the weathermen  said it was going to be a lovely day, but so far all I can see is a thick white cloud. I need sunshine and I need it now.

19/05/2012 at 15:41

*hugs Kate*

P.S we've had an afternoon of sunshine. Good stuff when you can get it

Oh and I bought 3 x 1Lt ferns @ £2.98 each from Wilkinsons. Their roots are already bursting out the pots and raring to go! Super cool green foliage with red veining will cheer up my shady corner lovely.

19/05/2012 at 16:09

Lovely sunny day today--but yesterday I was struck with stomach flu. Feel a bit better today, but gardening is on hold. The plan is for a lot of sleep--but hate to waste a lovely day. I'd like to send it your way, as I won't be needing it!

19/05/2012 at 16:12

Oh- my reply to the plant i.d. got lost--that Silver Beauty looks like it, Wintersong.Thanks to you and figrat for your help!

19/05/2012 at 16:57

Oh do get well soon Inkadog!

*Sends chicken soup!*

19/05/2012 at 17:06
Well the. 2 beefiest courgettes are now planted out, in beds of 50/50 compost & leaf mould with a handful of cluck muck.they are gazing in wonderment at the outside world through their cozy cloches. Decided to let the runt of the litter grow on a bit more. Moved camassia, planted out some kohl rabi, which I've never eaten but I love their Sputnik appearance.
19/05/2012 at 17:44

I hope you feel better soon Inka

I have taken the plunge and planted up 4 of my 5 window boxes today - if it does turn cold again I can easily cover them with fleece

Tomorrow I am moving the 10 baskets out of the greenhouse - every time I bend down for something and then stand up I hit my head on one or the other  Barry is going to wash the greenhouse glass for me then we can plant the tomatoes into their final positions  

19/05/2012 at 17:46
figrat wrote (see)
Well the. 2 beefiest courgettes are now planted out, in beds of 50/50 compost & leaf mould with a handful of cluck muck.they are gazing in wonderment at the outside world through their cozy cloches. Decided to let the runt of the litter grow on a bit more. Moved camassia, planted out some kohl rabi, which I've never eaten but I love their Sputnik appearance.

We are trying a purple kohl rabi this year figrat - we haven't grown it before but someone on the allotments gave Barry some to try and it was lovely  

19/05/2012 at 17:55

Well the sun did come out for half an hour and it has been warm so I gave in and planted out some tender plants, more for the light than anything. So fleece on standby.

WS thanks for the warm wishes.

Inkadog take it easy.

I am off out to a BBQ with a group of West Ham fans, wish me luck.

19/05/2012 at 18:09

Another bit done! Newcastle tomoz!  Be glad of a break!!! lo!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7798.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

!

19/05/2012 at 20:37

Thanks for your words of encouragement, everyone. Dean, that polytunnel looks fab--what is covering it?

19/05/2012 at 22:28

Sounds like everyone has been busy.

@Wintersong - I'm eying up a dryopteris cristata at morrisons for my shade border. Nice timing for Monty to be talking about them on GW yesterday!

@figrat - I've also planted out my courgettes. Was sick of looking at them sitting in the coldframe looking sorry for themselves. I don't have any cloches though. Hope they're OK.

I've also planted out some dwarf sunflowers and nasturtiums. My summer bulbs and Aquilegias are finally starting to flower so I thought it'd be OK to risk putting the tender stuff out.

20/05/2012 at 12:40

It is soooo cold here, I have lots of plants waiting to go out but I am feeling sorry for those that are outside already.

20/05/2012 at 14:03

It is a beautiful day here in Bournemouth, the sun is showing its face now and again but it isn't cold. If the weather stays good I am hoping to plant my runners beans and sweetpeas out this week. I have been just itching for the weather to buck its ideas up to be able get outside again. More sunshine pleeeeze!!! 

20/05/2012 at 14:39

Hi All!

Kate! It,s cracking the flags currently in West Yorkshire! Bloody typical as I am packing to go away on work duties next week! n the 5 day forecasts says pretty much the same. Grrrrrrr!!! 

Inka! Hope your feeling a little better today? n the covering on the poly-tunnel is corrugated polycarbonate sheeting, Not cheap! But hey! I got the shed off a colleague who was upgrading his, n frankly did him a favour by taking it off his hands, n the greenhouse was given to me by my Boss in return of a favour I did! So we knew we wasn't gunna get everything free! n very impressed with the way it worked to be honest!!

And to my Buddy Mark!! (He occasionally comes on here for a nosey, the shy retiring type!) I wanna say a big thanks to you for all your help n hard work! Without it, we would have been nowhere near what we have achieved! Cheers!!!! and I have reluctantly given you the Chilli n Tomato plants to look after while I'm away! Don't kill em!!!!! Ha! Ha! 

Enjoy ya gardening everybody! While I'm stuck in sweaty conferance rooms all week!!!!