Start a new thread

681 to 700 of 949 replies

Inkadog

Hi everyone- I just bought this plant from a car boot sale--she said it was a type of honeysuckle, but I can't find it in my book. Any thoughts?

The leaf has a thin white edge.

Wintersong

I think she meant Lonicera pileata (privet honeysuckle).

It does look like that but it should be flowering now

Wintersong

Oh I just googled, there is a variegated one called Silver Beauty (or various others) if that's any help.

figrat

Or lonicera nitida.

Wintersong

Aye figrat, we are on the same page  I have two L. nitida in my garden so this plant was familiar.

Advertisement

kate1123

Well the weathermen  said it was going to be a lovely day, but so far all I can see is a thick white cloud. I need sunshine and I need it now.

Wintersong

*hugs Kate*

P.S we've had an afternoon of sunshine. Good stuff when you can get it

Oh and I bought 3 x 1Lt ferns @ £2.98 each from Wilkinsons. Their roots are already bursting out the pots and raring to go! Super cool green foliage with red veining will cheer up my shady corner lovely.

Inkadog

Lovely sunny day today--but yesterday I was struck with stomach flu. Feel a bit better today, but gardening is on hold. The plan is for a lot of sleep--but hate to waste a lovely day. I'd like to send it your way, as I won't be needing it!

Inkadog

Oh- my reply to the plant i.d. got lost--that Silver Beauty looks like it, Wintersong.Thanks to you and figrat for your help!

Wintersong

Oh do get well soon Inkadog!

*Sends chicken soup!*

figrat
Well the. 2 beefiest courgettes are now planted out, in beds of 50/50 compost & leaf mould with a handful of cluck muck.they are gazing in wonderment at the outside world through their cozy cloches. Decided to let the runt of the litter grow on a bit more. Moved camassia, planted out some kohl rabi, which I've never eaten but I love their Sputnik appearance.
Lilylouise

I hope you feel better soon Inka

I have taken the plunge and planted up 4 of my 5 window boxes today - if it does turn cold again I can easily cover them with fleece

Tomorrow I am moving the 10 baskets out of the greenhouse - every time I bend down for something and then stand up I hit my head on one or the other  Barry is going to wash the greenhouse glass for me then we can plant the tomatoes into their final positions  

Lilylouise
figrat wrote (see)
Well the. 2 beefiest courgettes are now planted out, in beds of 50/50 compost & leaf mould with a handful of cluck muck.they are gazing in wonderment at the outside world through their cozy cloches. Decided to let the runt of the litter grow on a bit more. Moved camassia, planted out some kohl rabi, which I've never eaten but I love their Sputnik appearance.

We are trying a purple kohl rabi this year figrat - we haven't grown it before but someone on the allotments gave Barry some to try and it was lovely  

kate1123

Well the sun did come out for half an hour and it has been warm so I gave in and planted out some tender plants, more for the light than anything. So fleece on standby.

WS thanks for the warm wishes.

Inkadog take it easy.

I am off out to a BBQ with a group of West Ham fans, wish me luck.

Deanos Diggin It

Another bit done! Newcastle tomoz!  Be glad of a break!!! lo!

!

Advertisement

Inkadog

Thanks for your words of encouragement, everyone. Dean, that polytunnel looks fab--what is covering it?

Rob Stevens

Sounds like everyone has been busy.

@Wintersong - I'm eying up a dryopteris cristata at morrisons for my shade border. Nice timing for Monty to be talking about them on GW yesterday!

@figrat - I've also planted out my courgettes. Was sick of looking at them sitting in the coldframe looking sorry for themselves. I don't have any cloches though. Hope they're OK.

I've also planted out some dwarf sunflowers and nasturtiums. My summer bulbs and Aquilegias are finally starting to flower so I thought it'd be OK to risk putting the tender stuff out.

kate1123

It is soooo cold here, I have lots of plants waiting to go out but I am feeling sorry for those that are outside already.

donutsmrs

It is a beautiful day here in Bournemouth, the sun is showing its face now and again but it isn't cold. If the weather stays good I am hoping to plant my runners beans and sweetpeas out this week. I have been just itching for the weather to buck its ideas up to be able get outside again. More sunshine pleeeeze!!! 

Deanos Diggin It

Hi All!

Kate! It,s cracking the flags currently in West Yorkshire! Bloody typical as I am packing to go away on work duties next week! n the 5 day forecasts says pretty much the same. Grrrrrrr!!! 

Inka! Hope your feeling a little better today? n the covering on the poly-tunnel is corrugated polycarbonate sheeting, Not cheap! But hey! I got the shed off a colleague who was upgrading his, n frankly did him a favour by taking it off his hands, n the greenhouse was given to me by my Boss in return of a favour I did! So we knew we wasn't gunna get everything free! n very impressed with the way it worked to be honest!!

And to my Buddy Mark!! (He occasionally comes on here for a nosey, the shy retiring type!) I wanna say a big thanks to you for all your help n hard work! Without it, we would have been nowhere near what we have achieved! Cheers!!!! and I have reluctantly given you the Chilli n Tomato plants to look after while I'm away! Don't kill em!!!!! Ha! Ha! 

Enjoy ya gardening everybody! While I'm stuck in sweaty conferance rooms all week!!!!