London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
25/05/2012 at 17:36

Ooh forgot to mention...2 mins walk from the beach and lots of lovely seaweed for the borders, believe its very good for improving the soil, also picked up some driftwood, friends are going mad for it here and its so expensive to buy on internet / shops...

25/05/2012 at 17:49

Figrat I will send Alfie over to deal with the rat immediately!

25/05/2012 at 18:51
Thanks, but have got council around so I hope they take bait and hint! Breaking news - think Geoff's back. Shall we hide?
25/05/2012 at 19:39

Found yer

Am back suitably tanned and bloody gorgeous-will catch up on the happenings later-but I see you have had some Spanish weather this week.-well I had it for two weeks!!!

25/05/2012 at 19:54

Hi everyone, the weather really has been stunning here in Kent (I hope same for all of you) so unsurprisingly I have been enjoying the garden.

Firstly, I am absolutely blown away by the growth some plants are finally putting on, I'm sure my Echinacea is growing 6 inches a day!! Even my new Euphorbia Silver Swan looks bigger in its new pot and is already showing roots after just two weeks.

All my cuttings and propagation efforts from last year are making headway now and my climbing roses Summer Wine, Paul Scarlet, New Dawn and Winter White and my shrub rose Rhapsody in Blue are all going absolutely crazy with flowers.

The Clematis Miss Bateman and Dr Ruppel I bought two years ago are really flowering with incredible gusto this year. (I've also noticed the Dr Ruppel is a deeper shade this year probably due to less scorch from the hot April we had last year.)

My Foxtail Lilies are blessing me with 20 stems this year which is a huge improvement on the 6 I got last year and my cuttings of my Dianthus Moulin Rouge have also gone ttotally bananas.

That's the bare bones of what is currently going mental in my garden whilst I just about finished my landscaping today, seeing off my entire rubbish pile this morning to a very nice scrap man who came for nothing, and then got to work building the last bit of retaining wall as well as laying the rest of the pathing to  complete the look. I will be adding another veg bed next year but for now I am mulching with horse poo to improve the crappy soil.

I still have a lot of ornamental gaps but I'm letting things like my Nigella self seed; there are about 20 Candula popping up in my full sun border from last year's bedding. They are one of my favourite plants for happy sunshine vibes and I'm more than happy to let them fill a barren space because my purse is just about empty from manic spontaneous buys like hostas at Wilkinsons for £5.98 for 2Lt pots.

Enjoy your gardens!

25/05/2012 at 19:57

Oh and welcome home Geoff

25/05/2012 at 21:49

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7993.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

25/05/2012 at 21:50

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7994.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

25/05/2012 at 21:51

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7995.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

25/05/2012 at 21:54

Whats the name of the top rose David ?

25/05/2012 at 21:56

I'm back too!  Probably not as tanned as Geoff.  So glad to have returned to this lovely weather.  My aussie guests are very impressed with the sunshine.  I had to go back to work yesterday but they cooked me nice dinners yesterday and today.  It is lovely to come home to somebody cooking dinner - my mum used to tell me that I needed a wife!!

My peas, carrots, radishes and beetroot are doing terribly this year.  I came home to find that all had been completely eaten by snails.  Last evening I went out on a snail hunt and picked 20 out of one trough alone. 

25/05/2012 at 21:58

Almost forgot another wedding photo - my beautiful newly married niece:

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7996.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

25/05/2012 at 21:58

after six weeks of above average temps. last night it rained and then light snow this morning-the garden loved it-the greens incredibly intense. a remarkable year, everything seems twice as big as in other years-20 stalks on your eremurus-great

25/05/2012 at 22:00

Beautiful snaps David! Your plants look to be about ten days ahead of mine and I heard on the radio today that my town is the Uk's sunniest...and that's a fact

25/05/2012 at 22:01

rainjustlearning-rosa l.d. braithwaite

26/05/2012 at 07:22

Have just looked quickly though the posts-it seems you have all been busy!!

One highlight-FC so happy you have finally found something and of course Kate and KG- so pleased the weddings went well.

A fox has had 3 of the chickens whilst we were away Margaret was traumatised-will not get replacements just yet-need Cody back to make his presence felt-a bit upsetting.

Garden is a mess so much growth in 2 weeks-all the runner beans I sowed in pots have germinated and will be ready to be planted out in the next 2 weeks or so.

The nasturtiums have also put on growth in their containers-first one to flower gets a windmill.

The plane bringing us back flew over the South Coast-I could see the IOW and this City  and could just make out 'arrys place at Sandbanks

It is very stuffy-must go and feed the remaining hens

26/05/2012 at 09:17

@Geoff sorry to hear about the chickens you have missed so much, the torch landed, Pudsey, Chelsea and West Ham all won but you are back in time for street parties and the Apprentice final.

@KG glad you got back safely nice photo

@Wintersong have you got a photo?

26/05/2012 at 09:18
figrat wrote (see)
Gave up on the gardening as every time I heard something rustle in the borders I thought it was a rat, but each time only the blackbirds. Will try and be braver tomorrow.

LOL, I soooo know that feeling.

Very hot here already but #1 son is back from Uni for a week so hopefully will be able to finish the path edging today. He can then get on with the flint dressing.

I'll try to take a pic when it's done.

Now, where's that suncream?

26/05/2012 at 09:41

Did KG make it back by the direct route with no unexpected stop overs?-I may have to catch a bus next week and would like some advice on how to be at the stop on time-it is a 3 minute walk away and they only run every 10 minutes- it is vital  they don't go without me.

A picture of me on 'oliday

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n627/thedogcody/Adonis.jpg

Back to the garden

26/05/2012 at 09:48

@Excitable boy, you have a son who goes outside, where did you find him???