London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
29/05/2012 at 14:59

Also, saw some beautiful planting while I was away. Very inspiring. Pics posted here.

29/05/2012 at 16:27

We are in for some rain for the next few days, so the plan is to get the bottom driveway strimmed and to dig up about a million bluebells to plant in the shady deer garden. Think I'll move some hardy geraniums over there too, where they can take their chances!

29/05/2012 at 17:58

thanks guys...when i get a new greenhouse must put it at the bottom of the garden where it will be more dappled sun/shade. finally removed all the lawn from the front garden - left with large clods of clay soil, so lots of improving to be done including builders plaster (Gypsum), apparently good for breaking up the soil, the worms will deal over time too...may treat it to a couple of tonnes of topsoil too...

29/05/2012 at 18:02

@rob.. lovely pictures... one with iris is gorgeous and the ducks.. so cute.

@inkadog.. rain.. i am praying for that here.. all butts are empty.. and qetting desperate.. draining bath water down.. thou sucking on end of hose from right up top house.. was rather a struggle.. thought i might need A & E..

29/05/2012 at 21:56

All my water butts are empty and I had to turn on the outside tap today.  Hate having to pay to water my garden - much prefer the free stuff in the water butts.  It started to cloud up a bit at dusk but no rain is forecast in my neck of the woods.  A nice bit of rain tonight would do me a treat.

29/05/2012 at 23:49
I'm not on a water meter and have no drought issues so have been giving everything a good soak with the hose every few days. Must look into better ways of gathering rain water. I have a waterbutt but no guttering leading into it, so it fills very slowly. The problem is that with the house being a rental, I can't really start messing with the downpipes to gather more.
29/05/2012 at 23:55
Also, bought a couple of ferns from Morrisons today. A Dryopteris Cristata, and a Japanese Red Buckler. Both are supposed to get quite big, so should be lovely next year. Did some minor rearranging of Aquilegias and Hostas to fit them in nicely and have planted some Pelargonium cuttings I'd taken.
30/05/2012 at 09:08

Another sunny day, I will need to get the watering can out again. I am struggling to get my fork into the ground but I still have plants that need to go out.

All 100 of my wallflower seeds have germinated so that will keep me busy today.

@Rob nice pics.

30/05/2012 at 10:48

My water butt is empty too-where did it all go?-gave me an opportunity to reposition and get rid of the muck in the bottom.

Off to plant out the runner beans

30/05/2012 at 11:50
kate1123 wrote (see)

All 100 of my wallflower seeds have germinated so that will keep me busy today.

Did you count them twice to make doubly sure?

30/05/2012 at 12:52

Runner beans planted

Patio dahlias potted up

Olive repotted

A lot of sitting around done and soon be lunch-time

30/05/2012 at 12:58
Just planted out more French and runner beans, found another overwintered survivor. Can't remember if it's Moonlight ( White) or scarlet runner, but should fit in with jubilee bean planting scheme.
30/05/2012 at 13:29

I have recounted only 96

30/05/2012 at 14:24

Obviously Kate , Geoff and Figrat are bean counters---but not me. Think I'll lay about today and listen to the rain filling up my butts.

30/05/2012 at 16:07

My rescued B&Q petunias from 3 weeks ago have come into flower

Despite the forecast change in the weather we have wall-to wall sunshine and it is warmer than yesterday even though there was a tinsy shower earlier

30/05/2012 at 19:01

hi everyone.. it has been warm and overcasat today..but still none of the wet stuff.. still used bath water to water today.. at least the toms smell  nicer than normal

thou i do not think my spinachlikes it much.. after yesterday it has got white spots on leaves can i still eat it?

oh and also does anyone know if it is alright to put tap water out for the birds.. normally always done from the butt.

30/05/2012 at 19:05

I always use tap water for the birds-never had a complaint.

30/05/2012 at 19:43

Hi Guy's! Promise after this I won't post anymore photo's!! Lol! Just loving the way things are progressing! PDQ too!!!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8146.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

The sit down after the hard day's work area!!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8148.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

End of today

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8150.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

Play area for next year!! All in good time!! Potatoes coming on! n in need of a desperate weed!! 

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8149.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

First Harvest! 

30/05/2012 at 19:50

I change bird water often and always tap

Beautiful day again today and I have only just come in from the garden.

It's crazy to think I can do my housework in half and hour and yet the garden takes all day

List of jobs done today included turning my three compost piles, watering some newish plants that are flagging, watering veg, weeding out a crazy amount of self seeded Nigella, mowed-raked and mowed the lawn again, pricked out my basil seedlings into plugs, took cuttings of my alpine Phlox and divided some Cowslips and Doronicum to make a better drift for next year's spring display.

Also, forgot to mention yesterday's drama in the garden. One of four local Magpies was sticking his head in the guttering looking for Sparrow chicks whilst the tiny Sparrows chirped madly at the brute and when I went to the shop in the afternoon, I saw one of four Magpies trying to raid a Blackbird nesting in a conifer but this time the female bird was not having any of it and screaming wildly in defence of her eggs/chicks (the male was hopping about doing his teritorial dance) until it flew off empty beaked. I know its only nature but I was a little shaken up. 

Today the crows arrived in their gang and bullied the magpies for the prime nesting sites so I guess every bully has a bigger thug to put up with.

30/05/2012 at 20:01
@ Dean-it is looking magnificent. You must be so pleased!