London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 17°C
141 to 160 of 949 messages
03/05/2012 at 15:52

was...so it is no longer a problem?  

It's funny how young children ruin all your stuff and spend all your money, but once they are older or left home, the garden can be nurtured and spoilt rotten.

I can't go two weeks without buying a plant, but they are just the best thing to put a smile on my face.

03/05/2012 at 15:55

Completely agree, have ordered the special offer perrenials from the Gardeners World mag, have nowhere for them to go without digging up something exsisting, but cannot resist a plant or a bargain!  Yesterdays purchase was another Phormium.

03/05/2012 at 16:01

Can't allow myself to buy plants other than the occasional P&P only GW offer so I content myself with 'shopping' at my Mum & Aunt's cold frames

It's working out well becasue Aunty is getting too infirm to garden at all now so she's happy they live on in a new garden - and in return I'm starting to make colourful pots each season that she can see from her window so everyone's happy

03/05/2012 at 16:04

Plant swapping is the best!  Do you think that if I leave my surplus tomato plants by the front gate someone will givew them a good home?

03/05/2012 at 16:04

Basketball is no longer a problem Buying plants without a home  I am just a sucker for a pretty picture,

03/05/2012 at 16:08

Seaside Oldie, I'm donating mine to the World Environment Day event at the office - did it last year and they went in seconds and raised money to plant trees under the Woodland Trust scheme

03/05/2012 at 16:18

Half of my garden is sourced from my parents, great way to start a new garden.

I answered a freecycle want to give away some surplus plants. I would be nervous of leaving plants at the front in case local kids used them as missles.

03/05/2012 at 16:24

I had to give up on my Freecycle group becasue it was clogging my email and I couldn't change the settings.  But I've joined Freegle now so I'll look out for requests - every little helps when you're starting out

Def wouldn't put anything outside my house - if they weren't missiles they'd be strewn all over the pavement & road, like the litter that blows in my garden

03/05/2012 at 16:56

In the very early days we bought twigs and I learnt how to take cuttings etc from family and friends gardens, but no-one had an interest like me or as big a garden to fill.

Since then, I've relied on annuals to fill ugly gaps and divided plants recklessly to bulk up a bit whilst every plant I buy at the garden centre is a larger version to be propagated from, or a smaller one I'm patient enough to grow on, such as my half dead bargain clematis that are doing amazingly well. I've also used ebay, got myself a brilliant bunch of Sissyrinchium really cheap last summer that will be divided this year already.

I like large groups of plants but I really wish I could swap plants a bit. I give plants away all the time but never seem to get any back

03/05/2012 at 17:19

KoalaGirl, my nieces lived in Sandgate, just north of Brisbane, and the older one is a reporter for Channel 9. My brother lived at Cedar Creek, in the Samford Valley. Many happy times spent there. Winter, it is exciting to have spaces to fill in your garden; I might move that pampas to give me some privacy in the gap where some large trees were taken down.Whatever goes there must be drought and deer proof.

It's grey and rainy here, but might brigten up this afternoon, I hope.Don't fancy bagging up grass clippings for mulch in the rain. I get them from my neighbour, who has a huge lawn. I don't, thank goodness.

03/05/2012 at 19:07

Wintersong it is a bit of a one way trade with my parents, no swapping yet.

I have just been for a walk around the garden, for all my complaining about the rain it is lovely and lush out there. I have brought in a few pots of compost as I always feel inspired after watching Beechgrove.

03/05/2012 at 19:12

Urgent TV alert!!!

Beechgrove on at 7pm tonight.

03/05/2012 at 19:17

Noooooooooooooo

03/05/2012 at 19:29

Sorry-forgot to post a reminder-will buy the wellies and ice cream as retribution.

03/05/2012 at 19:41

I will expect the ice cream to match the wellies

03/05/2012 at 19:43

Would you like a wafer?

03/05/2012 at 19:49

and a flake

03/05/2012 at 19:54

Kate it's been a joy to actually give Mum some things I'd aquired from elsewhere for the 1st time this year

Must find out about Beechgrove if it genders such excitement and ice cream

03/05/2012 at 20:01

Beechgrove is one of the BBC's hidden gems that they don't want us to know about.

03/05/2012 at 20:02

Hyppybyker have you never watched Beechgrove, you are missing out. 50% off the BBC's gardening output. My mum bought some plants this spring and I have already asked for cuttings.

Hammers have scored

141 to 160 of 949 messages