Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Monty and those gardening sins...

Was it just me who saw Monty commit gardening sines? He over-stuffed a hanging basket with POT BOUND plants! Tut tut.  And then he planted some distinctly leggy cosmos which had not been pinched out or watered much by the look of it! I only know that about cosmos because they looked a bit like mine.  His halo is slipping!

• FirecrackerFirecracker Posts: 256

Nah, anyone that has a Goldie can't be bad. Our Goldie carries a soft toy round the garden, not interested in a ball.image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Firecracker we have 3 goldies bracken, barley and berry, we did have 5 but the oldest 4 have gone now. I agree with you and you don't have to pinch out cosmos.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

The basket of herbs is a temporary feature, sort of like bedding - and doesn't everyone 'stuff' hanging baskets?  Joe certainly did.   I think they'll be fine - I wouldn't have teased out those roots - the rootballs were full but not wound round and round.   I didn't notice Joe teasing out rootballs for his hanging basket either.

Think the cosmos would ideally have been planted out earlier, but it's been flippin' chilly - I like them a bit long and leggy and planted amongst other perennials that give them a bit of support ... that's how I first noticed cosmos years ago at Gt Dixter.   Draping and drooping as they waved elegantly in the breeze image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

My cosmos are being planted out today .....not by design, have just had too much else to do.....so GW last night made me feel much betterimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Dove, sorry to disagree, but Joe removed a lot of the soil from the plants he put in his basket, you just didn't see him do it but you could see it all straggly as they were being planted.

Agree about MD's cosmos, if it was too cold to plant out they should have been potted on , or at the very least given a feed. They were almost yellow.

I still can't stand hanging baskets.

Devon.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Agree with Dove, hanging baskets are a short term fix, a bit of colour or scent in a drab area. When I did make up baskets they were stuffed never teased out and always had a saucer in the base as a reservoir, they lasted the season so did the job. A quick fix is what they are and disposable end of season, after all how many plants do we need to keep? My herb bed produces stacks of surplus seedlings as will Monty's, using them as a scent basket rather than just weeding them out is a good idea. Monty is human as are we all whom among us never made a mistake and on a point who pinches out cosmos?

Frank.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I always pinch out cosmos, or as MD did last week, give the leggy ones a chop with secateurs.

Devon.
  • Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

Oh dear ... this thread  took a turn I was not expecting. I suppose I should have said that at least Monty does some things the way normal mortals do too.  Another example of foot in mouth syndrome.