London (change)
Wed °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
61 to 71 of 71 messages
10/02/2013 at 15:51

Plumbob, like you I watch any gardening progrmame to learn but sadly as a child had no father to teach me but hey I seem to be able to manage and what I achieve  I get a lot of pleasure from.

Btw I have yet to manage to stay awake for Monty's programme on Friday evening. Too late in the evening for my attention span obviously . I do like him but on the subject of Monty feel that his other programme should be more tailored to peeps with limited means. Does anyone else feel that?

S.

10/02/2013 at 17:01

Sasha - I slept thru it

10/02/2013 at 17:04

Again BJay .  I've recorded them and still haven't got around to watching the first one yet

10/02/2013 at 17:17

This is how I view it- it is what it is a look at French Gardens from a visitors point of view -not an instructional video on how to grow-I doubt anyone visits Kew or Wisley looking for advice just to admire- that is what this programme is- a travelogue on French Gardens.

There is a book coming out in April

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Road-Le-Tholonet-Journey/dp/1471114570/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360515996&sr=8-1

As for presenters this has been discussed here and elsewhere-I understand why a dislike is taken to some -not keen on Carole Klein-too gushy (sorry sacrilege broken) Alys Fowler too prissy-doesn't worry me much that a tool is thrown on the floor- we have all done that

I think with TB an experiment was made to make gardening the in-thing with a new audience it was not a complete failure after all-but you live with the presenter we have-MD will move on at some point

Beechgrove is more of a practical programme so with that and GW they will compliment not rival each other.

10/02/2013 at 17:28

I agree Geoff. I watched  just for the sheer plearsure of seeing a beautiful garden, whether it is to my taste or not. I admire the hard work and vision that has gone into the making of them. If you learn something along the way, all the better.

10/02/2013 at 17:46

I agree too.  There are too few gardening programmes (or even programmes about gardens) to moan about them when they come along.  I prefer to just enjoy.

10/02/2013 at 22:08

Au contraire - there are so few gardening programmes that the ones we have should be done well, from the initial idea to the setting of budgets, choosing of camera teams and editors, researching the gardens or subjects to be visited and final presentation.  Monty's French Gardens is going out in a Friday night gardening slot so should be more than pretty pictures and a travelogue slapped together any old how.  It should have some metaphorical gardening meat to it.

11/02/2013 at 15:06

I've really enjoyed it so far - and Monty looks as though he's enjoying himself as well.  I think it's a pity that there are so few things on TV about gardens - whether those to visit, or one's own garden and what to do/how to do it.  I think there's room for more gardening related programmes,  especially as there are so many TV channels these days - so can only conclude that The Powers That Be don't agree.

R F
27/02/2013 at 20:41

So... I know nothing and would like to suprise she who must be obeyed... Is there an idiot link or can someone point me in the direction of where each of these gardens are (Excluding Paris) so I can try and work it into my French holiday and become a god amongst men 

Thanks in advance

27/02/2013 at 20:52
R F wrote (see)

So... I know nothing and would like to suprise she who must be obeyed... Is there an idiot link or can someone point me in the direction of where each of these gardens are (Excluding Paris) so I can try and work it into my French holiday and become a god amongst men 

Thanks in advance

Bit of a tall order-there is a book coming out -but not till April

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Road-Le-Tholonet-Journey/dp/1471114570/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361998032&sr=8-1

If you read the summary on the Amazon page it gives you some locations-perhaps work from that??

I do know that Monets garden is at Giverney

27/02/2013 at 20:54

There was a map of all the gardens in the GW magazine (Feb edition) - you might find one still in the shops.  There are a group in Provence and another group in Normany and then the collection round Paris (Versailles et al).

email image
61 to 71 of 71 messages