Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Morrisions

There are loads of people saying they've bought lots of plants cheaply at Morrisons. my nearest one is around 30minutes away and I was wondering whether it would be worth going for the plants and gardening stuff. Has anyone bought any plants from Morrisons recently? Do they have a good choice? Is it worth going? Sorry for the questions, but not sure whether to go or not image

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I have bought afew plants from Morrisons. I go there any way. If you want alot of clematis they are good as £2 each but they do need TLC before going in ground. Recently I bought 2 good healthy magnolias from them - a stellata and a soulangea - for £6 each  They also seem to be doing a range of slightly more mature plants in larger pots. This week there were alot of hebes. last week I bought  Pieris 'Forest Flame' and an established camellia - £5 each

You just have to hope they have what you want. This week they had some standard cistus tress but the labels had fallen off - blokey said leave it a couple of weeks and they will be selling them off. There was nothin else i really wanted. 

As the season moves forward they have more andmore selection.

Rhere were standard bay as well this week I think 2 for £30 but didn't look closely as wasn't interested

• What Verdun says.

• Ryan LloydRyan Lloyd Posts: 395

Thsnks Verdun and Rosa, I am going there now, only because it's around 10 minutes away from poundland and mum said she can do the weekends shopping in there image Hope I find a bargain, wish me luck! image

• Ryan LloydRyan Lloyd Posts: 395

And David K, sorry missed you out your comment didn't show up til after I posted mine :/

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

I live next to morrisons and find the stuff ok. They have dahlia tubers for a pound, clematis for £2 but they are young plants. They have the odd astilbe etc but i find the stuff out of the likes of aldi,lidle poundstretcher etc to be the same if your wanting cheap plants.

• Where ever you get your plants this time of year you must expect to grow them on in shelterd heated place. They are very tender be very cautious about putting outside yet. 

• I've had some good plants from Morrisons (e.g clematis, hollyhocks, a little amelanchier tree and bedding plants), all much cheaper than at Garden Centres. If you're after bedding plants, though, I'd wait until the weather warms up as it's much too cold to put them out now.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

I read in the Horticultural press, only yesterday, that Morrissons, like Waitrose, are trying to make an entry into the horticultural market. So you can certainly expect more products to be availalbe from them this season.

I believe that Alan Titchmarsh will be fronting the Waitrose campaign.

And Tesco have some kind of arrangment with Crocus:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/crocus/

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Morrisons are brilliant for large cheap terracotta pots.