London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
19 messages
25/08/2012 at 21:43

Last week I saw a mouse running round the water bowls I had put out for, well anyone really. Anyway, tonight, back at the water bowls there was a mouse, not sure if it was the same one, eating some noodles that I had put out for the local wildlife. It didn't really take much  notice, it ran around for a bit then went back to his feast. I went back to the house to call my husband and we went back. Well, there he was, still eating and we watched a couple of feet away for about five minutes, he was quite cute, I moved some food nearer to him and he carried on, but when he decided to go he seemed to have a problem with one or both back feet, he couldn't walk, or run in a straight line! I wonder how long he will last. I just wanted to share that because I thought it was a little bit unusual

25/08/2012 at 22:26

Aww, although they can be a pest, it's not nice to know an animal is injured.

25/08/2012 at 22:34
Let's hope your noodles will keep him going and that he can keep out of the way of cats. I was once bitten by a field mouse and had to have a tetanus! Long story short, it got stuck in the cream of a Cadbury's cream ege that I had through in the waste basket. Tried to release it and the little s*d bit me! The doctor thought it was funny ....
25/08/2012 at 22:42

Oh my! You threw away a Cadbury's Cream Egg!! Shame on you!

25/08/2012 at 23:04
Left a wrapped one on a coffe table overnight (having eaten one already). When I got up the foil was off and there were scratch marks on it. My cat must have brought a mouse in and it escaped and thought it was a tasty treat. Put it in the waste basket and he must have found it again. I needed to save him from the cats! How ungrateful can a mouse get?
25/08/2012 at 23:41

Perhaps that's why it bit you, he thought you were taking it back off him!

26/08/2012 at 07:06

We have a family of field mice living at the bottom of our garden - we sometimes watch one of them come and collect some of the hedgehog food and take it back to their store.  I wonder if yours is a field mouse or a house mouse? 

This is an identification guide (doesn't only apply to Cornwall )  http://www.northpennines.org.uk/Lists/DocumentLibrary/Attachments/183//Small_Mammal_ID_guide.pdf

26/08/2012 at 07:29

I wonder if it could be a little woodmouse ? They never run in straight lines - just dart about very quickly. They've got huge eyes and a long tail - endearing little creatures. We had one that used to appear religiously at around 7pm under the bird table to ''hoover'' up ! It was so funny watching him/her legging off with scraps but he seems to have vanished now,

I love the cream egg story !

26/08/2012 at 09:19

When I said we had field mice, I should have said they're the same as wood mice - love them, they're gorgeous!

26/08/2012 at 21:40

Ah, thanks for all of your replies. When I looked out again, a cat was lying, waiting so I shooed him away.  After a while mouse came back,  he seems to have a problem with both back legs but appears to be coping, he stayed for a few minutes, he didn't seem bothered by us. This is turning into a saga, cat came back, he disappeared when I went down the garden, but on my way back I saw him watching me from a hole in the fence, haha, those cats eyes are a dead giveaway!  I think he is a wood/field mouse  and when it comes to food you can forget all that cheese nonsense, as some of you have found out,, mice love chocolate

26/08/2012 at 21:53

I can vouch for that - we had a mouse that was getting into the cupboard under the sink and using my dusters to make a cosy little bed for himself ! He also found hubbie's chamois leather he uses for the car and had a good go at that as well so we bought a humane trap, put a piece of mars bar in it and hey, presto next morning - one mouse ! We then took him for a ride in the car and let him go in a field. We did get some strange looks from passing motorists though. Mice have a homing instinct - a bit like slugs so if you don't release them far enough away they'll come back.

26/08/2012 at 22:20

I have a mousie invasion in my bin cupboard at the moment. I use humane traps and put sunflower hearts in them which works a treat. If I have time I take them to the field a few minutes walk away and let them go behind the bus-stop. Otherwise they have to go down the end of the garden. Four caught so far. They are woodmice and extremely cute with their big eyes and big ears, I just wish they'd stay outside.

26/08/2012 at 22:23
I saw a mouse, where, there on the stair, right there!
26/08/2012 at 22:32

Well I declare!  ;- )

26/08/2012 at 22:45
Did it have clogs on?
26/08/2012 at 23:22

A little mouse with clogs on

27/08/2012 at 07:30

going clip-clippety-clop on the stairs Oh yeah

27/08/2012 at 16:45

Wow,with a bit of fine tuning I think we could make a song out of that, oh yeah

28/08/2012 at 22:10

I've just looked down the garden and once again the bird table is on the floor. Have you ever seen a badger climb onto a bird table, it's quite funny. Don't suppose mousey has survived with all of the animal traffic we have, shame

email image
19 messages